HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pictures of Herceptin Rash (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52568)

Kroesen 12-19-2011 03:56 PM

Pictures of Herceptin Rash

Is there anyone out there that would have pictures that they could share with me that show a Herceptin rash? I've checked online, but to no avail. I would like to have something ready to compare before my next appointment Friday. Unless there is some miracle out there that shows that I can stay on Herceptin with rash covering more of my body than skin, I will be having to find another treatment plan.

I'm desperate.

Ellie F 12-20-2011 05:17 AM

Re: Pictures of Herceptin Rash

Sorry to hear this news. I only have pics of my taxotere rash.
I personally haven't seen a herceptin rash and the only allergic reaction I have seen has involved lower back pain during an infusion.
Hopefully someone will have some pics to help.
Ellie

sarah 12-20-2011 05:31 AM

No, but now I wish I had taken some photos but they were disgusting! open sores!!!! but you're right, we should document all these things to help others in the future. I still have tiny white scars from them.
health and happiness
Sarah

Kroesen 12-20-2011 07:26 AM

Sarah,

Is there some place that I can upload pictures of my rash and you could tell me if it looked like the same type?

Kroesen 12-20-2011 08:46 AM

http://kroesen-cancer.blogspot.com/2...umpy-ride.html

Please try this link. I just started a blog so I could have pictures of what my rash looks like. I think it is important for others out there to see and respond. Please let me know if this works.

KDR 12-20-2011 10:22 AM

Wow! Can Benadryl help with this? Does your oncologist know?

Hope you get relief soon,
Karen

Kroesen 12-20-2011 10:28 AM

Benadryl doesn't help much at all. My oncologist does know. We first wondered if it was the trial shingles vaccine that I signed up for. She tried to get them to unblind the test, but they said that I could be allergic to the placebo, the vaccine, or anything else. After last Friday's herceptin, I broke out even worse after a couple of hours.

I meet with her again on Friday to see if there are any premeds that I can take or if I am just finished taking herceptin. I have been on herceptin for 18 weeks. I'd love to find out more about the 9 weeks Finland trials to see what the survival rate is yet today.

tricia keegan 12-20-2011 03:32 PM

I'm sorry I did'nt take pic's of mine and it did bother me for quite a while (I have a thread here about it brought forward) but hopefully it'll pass soon as mine did and hope you feel more comfortable then.

Kroesen 12-20-2011 03:38 PM

Tricia,

Could you check my blog to see if yours looked like that? I'm going back in tomorrow to see if there is anything else that can be done for itching. Let me know what you think about my rash. Thanks for your help.

tricia keegan 12-21-2011 07:25 PM

Sorry I'm so late checking in here but it looks like my rash but far more extensive and Benadryl did help mine to clear and stop the itch! I wish I could help more and it does look like an allergic reaction:(

Yorkiegirl 12-21-2011 07:39 PM

I had something similar when I first started Herceptin. I had to take some steriods to help with it. It did go away and then it never came back again the rest of the time I was on Herceptin.

Kroesen 12-21-2011 09:05 PM

Thanks both of you. I went in today because of the itch. I was given steroids, benadryl, and zantac via IV. I was also given a medrol pack of steroids to take for a week. I'm going in on Friday to get my rash checked to see if it is helping. I'm supposed to be getting a treatment again Friday, but have requester to wait until next week so I can get through the holidays and not worry about possibly having to go to a different hospital since we are traveling.

Thanks for the information. I will try to stay ahead on the benadryl to see if that will help the rash disappear.

You can say a prayer that on Friday or next week that I won't have any more break outs. I can handle pain of rash on the parts of my body now, but don't want the other possible side effects like swollen glands or difficulty breathing. Then again, really, I want the rash to go away if I'm truly honest.

Thanks for your support.

tricia keegan 12-22-2011 04:43 PM

Sending good vibes Kroesen for an itch free holiday period and hope the meds help!!! xx

choyces 12-29-2011 07:56 PM

Kroesen- I just started getting a rash last week. It's just under my right breast. I didn't know what it was. It doesn't itch. Thank you for your post. Now I know what it is. It's funny, I've been on herceptin since August and this is the first rash.

rhondalea 12-29-2011 08:55 PM

I have not had any rash, just some mild itching and a bloody, runny nose and watery eyes. I blamed everything on Taxol (even though I knew it had to be the Herceptin), so when it continued after Taxol, I was distraught but not surprised.

What did surprise me was the great result I got when I started taking Claritin again. My nose is almost entirely dried up and only intermittently bloody. My eyes feel almost normal. I've stopped itching.

You might want to ask your oncologist if you can give it whirl, because I, at least, am almost human again. Almost.

Kroesen 12-30-2011 03:44 PM

Choyces,

Keep a good eye on it. Make sure you let your onc know.

Thanks for everyone's support. I'm going to try herceptin again on Friday. We will be at the cancer center the whole day so we are right there in case of a worse reaction. Many are nervous as I am. You can keep me in prayer at 8:30 next Friday morning. Pray that no tongue swelling or difficulty breathing.

Allergist is going to talk to Harvard this week to discuss this. Hopefully they will have some answers too.

I also start RADs Wednesday. Busy week.

Holly 07-25-2012 05:35 PM

I am getting a rash around my port and it spreads. Don't know for sure what is causing it, but I am getting Herceptin through that port. My radiologist prescribed an antibiotic, and I used Metrogel (insanely expensive, but works on other rashes I get). Not sure which worked, but it cleared up. But, this week's Herceptin brought it back again. The rash is quite itchy, and reddened. When I let it go untreated the first time, not knowing what it was, it got very dry and slightly bumpy, and it spread from a dime size spot to a teacup size with a trail along the path of the port tube. I do take Singular, but am not supposed to have Benedryl.

I'm not a doctor, so this is just an OTC suggestion. If the area is fairly limited, I'd try an OTC anti-itch cream and see if that works before going to something prescribed. It would be less problematic than steroids might be. I already had Metrogel from a previous breakout totally unrelated, so I used that and Metasone (think that's the right spelling), both are prescription, but both helped a lot.

The radiologist took a picture, I'll see if I can get a copy and post it here.

mmoons 07-25-2012 06:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi there-

Sorry for the discomfort. I had a rash for many months...but I cannot remember if it was from Taxol or Herceptin (sorry). Here is a photo. It was ALL over my body. Topical sterioid, applied carefully, was very helpful.

I hope you feel better soon,

Maureen

mmoons 07-25-2012 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry. One more. Not sure if these really show it across my chest and even all over my face. But I hope they will help you.

Delaney 07-25-2012 07:24 PM

Thank you Kroesen and Maureen for the photos. I have a very very mild rash, thought it was cancer spots. Its nice to know the reason for it. Am off herceptin now so hope it goes.. Wishing you both the best of luck in getting rid of this pesky rash.