HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Eyelashes falling out again (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28175)

Leslie's sister 05-10-2007 02:04 PM

Eyelashes falling out again

Hi everyone!
I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. Life has a way of keeping me way too busy. I have been reading and keeping up with everyone however. You all continue to inspire me DAILY.
Question- My sister finished Chemo Oct 25, 2006. She lost her eyelashes shortly thereafter. She is still on herceptin. The eyelashes and eyebrows started to grow back but now she is losing them again. Did anyone else loose their eyelashes and brows for a second time so far out from Chemo treatment?

KellyA 05-10-2007 02:09 PM

Hi there,

I did not have that problem, but have heard of some people experiencing that with Herceptin. I have also heard of some people losing thier fingernails. I learned during treatment that CVS (don't know if you have one) carries these FANTASTIC eyebrow stencils (it's an actual stencil that you fill in with a special powder) that work wonderfully. My eyebrows never looked so good and no one was able to tell the difference! The pack comes with several designs- classic, glamourous, delicate, etc. and you get to chose. I hope that this helps- just remember that this is only temporary and will get better.

Love, Kelly

skeetur 05-10-2007 02:49 PM

My sister had chemo last year (no herceptin - she wasn't HER2+) and her lashes and eyebrows fell out a few weeks after her last chemo. Then they grew back and a couple of months later they were falling out again. Our theory is that since they grew back all at the same time the hair were on the same growth cycle so they started to fall out again all together. Hope that made sense! Eventually things will get back to a normal growth rhythm and they'll be a good mix of them at different stages of the growth process.

Kathy

Mary Jo 05-10-2007 04:14 PM

Hi Leslie's Sisterhttp://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...cons/icon7.gif

I, too, lost my eyelashes and eyebrows about 1 month AFTER taxol ended. They were thin but I still had them but then out they came. While on herceptin however I did not have that problem. Like others have mentioned to you though, there are lots of the gals who mention that happening to them on herceptin only.

I can imagine it is frustrating to her though. We sooooo want to get our bodies back to normal after that chemo etc. and it just seems to never happen. BUT the GOOD NEWS........................it does happen and WILL eventually.

God's Peace,

Mary Jo (P.S. - tell Leslie "hi" from me)

Yorkiegirl 05-10-2007 05:16 PM

I lost my eye lashes and brows while on Chemo, once I started Herceptin they grew back, BUT I'll be darned if I didn't loose my eye lashes two more time's.

Now my lashes are very long.

Becky 05-10-2007 06:11 PM

I lost my eyelashes a second time too. Very disheartening but they grow back and stay then.

Chelee 05-10-2007 09:01 PM

At first I thought I had lost mine due to the TCH but I noticed even with "just" the herceptin alone I lost then about two more times. Plus when I *did* have eyelashes...they weren't much to write home about...they were SO thin. I played heck using mascara. So yes it is very normal for this to happen as you can see from all the replies. But this too will pass. :) Hang in there.

Chelee

Leslie's sister 05-11-2007 03:38 PM

As Always Thank you

Thank you all for your quick responses. As always, you are a vast source of knowledge and comfort. I will give Leslie the info. It is always reassuring to know that others have experienced the same thing. Marejo, I will tell Leslie hello for you. Everyone keep up the fight. Please know, that I laugh with you, cry with you, and pray with you- even if I don't always post!