HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Working during Chemo? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60564)

Kim89 03-20-2014 03:52 PM

Working during Chemo?

Hello Everyone! So I am a 25 year old with Stage 3a, Grade 2 ER+/PR+ and HER 2+ breast cancer. I had a simple mastectomy on left and prophylactic on the right with tissue expander placement. I am currently undergoing chemo AC (Adriamycin & Cytoxan) have two left and then will start taxol and Herceptin every week for twelve weeks. I am thinking of going back to work on a part time basis. I'm not sure if I want to wear a wig or wrap on my head at work...any thoughts? I walk around on a daily basis with a bald head and am comfortable with it just not sure if I should wear something at work?

Thank you in advance

Becky 03-20-2014 07:21 PM

Re: Working during Chemo?

I wore a wig and took it off as soon as I got into the car to drive home. Ugh. I just didn't want to make everyone feel uncomfortable so I just made myself uncomfortable. Also, I didn't want anyone to think I was on death's door either. I went with my ultra short hair as soon as it looked like an ultra pixie (about 3 1/2 months after chemo was over).

Bunty 03-20-2014 10:37 PM

Hi Kim, I've been in this situation many times over the years, and in a couple of different work places. It really depends on you. If you are happy for a wider group at work to know that you are having chemo, then do what you like - scarf, wig or nothing. People will understand. Don't be surprised however, if some people don't know what to say to you, or take a wide berth. Just be yourself. Generally I wore a wig, and as soon as I got home off it came, but other days when I couldn't be bothered I wore a scarf. Actually the interesting thing sometimes is if you have a really good wig, you will get all these compliments saying that they love your new hairstyle (even people who know you are having chemo - go figure?!). Depending on who commented, I would either say it was a wig because of chemo, or just thank them. Then of course, when I would get to the point of showing my new hair, you would get looks occasionally as if to say, "why did you cut off all that lovely hair?"! At the end of the day, the most important thing is that the chemo is doing it's job, and it's not forever.
All the best
Marie

snolan 03-21-2014 07:49 AM

I didn't like the wigs, just wrapped my head for work and wore hats everywhere else.

sarah 03-21-2014 08:11 AM

what about doing it late friday so you can rest, as for the wig, depends on your co-workers and how many people you see during the day. try the wig and also some hats that breathe, some friends have just gone bald, worn huge earrings and it's been striking but I couldn't, I got lots of compliments on my wig!!!

crb 03-21-2014 08:28 PM

Kim~I lost my hair two weeks ago. Have worn a wig to work everyday - I am in the medical field, and treat patients, so I did not want my own patients to assume I am "sick" if they saw me with no hair...I feel 100% normal most days and not sick from the chemo at all. Prior to the wig, I had cut my hair short and dyed it back close to my normal color to match the 2 wigs I had bought.

Home I have a bandana or hat on and have only gone out in public without my wig last weekend when we went to a theme park and I was terrified my wig would fly off on a roller coaster...LOL

I would say go with what you are comfortable with! Or you could have fun with it and wear a different wig each day ;)

Jackie07 03-22-2014 05:13 AM

I used a tiny silk handkerchief inside the wig - it's soft and absorbs the oil/heat of the scalp.

Jean 03-23-2014 10:00 PM

Kim, I think it depends on you and what your work day involves. For me I work with clients and seeing me bald and in treatment would concern them and certainly effect my business, so for me it was a wig. As a matter of fact I never told any of my colleagues that I was in treatment.
They were surprised when years after treatment I shared with a few that I was dx. with bc. So it depends strongly on the situation. At home I would take the wig off wore scarfs etc or nothing.
Wishing you all the best during your treatment.
No matter what you decide you will be beautiful.
Jean

IrvineFriend 03-26-2014 07:44 PM

I wore different scarfs made for chemo patients unless I had meetings with people outside my company and then, and only then, would I wear a wig. By end of the day I'd go bald and nobody batted an eye after seeing me a couple of times. With the hot flashes I would have been too miserable. Big earrings helped!

Aussie Girl 03-26-2014 11:59 PM

Hi,

I couldn't stand the wig I bought - too hot and prickly for Summer. I would be careful about spending too much money on one with out a trial first. I wore Buff microfiber tubes which were light, quick to put on and stayed put. I was hopeless at tying scarves. By the end I went around bald mostly. It all depends on the shape of your head, and what you can feel comfortable with.

I was basically ordered not to work. I feel I could have worked part time for the third week of the chemo cycle, but I got very tired and anemic towards the end.

Everyone is different and in different financial and emotional situations. If chemo hits you hard, be kind to yourself and rest if you have to. Build a support network as best you can.

Everyone at work knew I had cancer, because I am a pathologist at the local laboratory - no way of hiding cancer from the people that diagnose it! They were all wonderful and still are, now I am back part time.

Aussie Girl

carlatte7 03-28-2014 05:40 PM

I am an elementaryschool nurse, and started chemo 4 weeks from the end of school year, so i did not work after chemo. I did shoot a few weddings that summer and wore my wig- who wants a puffy- faced, pale, bald lady doing your wedding photography?? Do what is comfortable for you- my sister made me some stretchy hats out of the ruffly tshirts you see sometimes- liked them over all other options.