HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Co-Enzyme Q10 is not only good for heart, but also against Cancer (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48879)

Gift 02-19-2011 10:46 AM

Co-Enzyme Q10 is not only good for heart, but also against Cancer

In this article, it states "advanced breast cancer" and I think that could be Her2 positive.

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/na...its-93421.html

Gift 02-19-2011 10:56 AM

Re: Co-Enzyme Q10 is not only good for heart, but also against Cancer

So I think Co Q10 could be a double benefit for those who have heart problem when on Herceptin.
It could help increase your MUGA Score and at the same time fighting against breast cancer cells.

TanyaRD 02-21-2011 08:57 AM

Gift,
We have looked at using Co-Q10 win conjunction with breast cancer treatment especially with Aredia due to cardiac toxicity. Studies have not confirmed its efficacy in this arena and the benefit/risk of adding a strong antioxidant during chemo is also not entirely clear. Because of this we tend to recommend adding Co-Q10 for women on a treatment break (sometimes due to low MUGA score). Here are a few article links from pubmed.gov. Many suggest further research is needed due to small size of the studies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17668211

Clin Biochem. 2007 Jun;40(9-10):623-8. Epub 2007 Mar 19.
Ameliorating effect of coenzyme Q10, riboflavin and niacin in tamoxifen-treated postmenopausal breast cancer patients with special reference to lipids and lipoproteins.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17425952

SarahFoodforBC 07-29-2011 06:41 AM

CoQ10 supplementation appears not to be completely safe for breast cancer patients and survivors. A deficiency in CoQ10 appears to increase breast cancer risk, however high levels may promote breast cancer. See "Plasma coenzyme Q10 levels and postmenopausal breast cancer risk: The Multiethnic Cohort Study" published in 2010, which found that U.S. postmenopausal women in the highest third of circulating CoQ10 levels had 1.6 times the risk of breast cancer compared to those in the lowest third. More work needs to be done on this, but caution is advisable, I think.

1rarebird 07-29-2011 02:33 PM

Sarah--Thanks for your comment and the cited reference. After reading it, I am wondering if the Co-Q-10 capsules in my supplements box are not such a good idea. I suppose that it is matter of what a person's circulating levels of the enzyme are without supplementation. And then what would be considered a high level and what is not? More to learn, as always ---bird

JennyB 07-30-2011 04:26 AM

I am confused about most things to do with diet and nutrition...... It seems you read one thing it makes sense you beleive in it then implement it only to read months down the line it could be a mistake!! I hate the uncertainty. I added CoQ10 about half way through my chemo and have been taking ever since now I don't really know what to do???
confused Jenny

Jackie07 07-30-2011 01:57 PM

It depends on who's doing what research where... :)

Nutr J. 2010 Nov 30;9:62.
Exogenous coenzyme Q10 modulates MMP-2 activity in MCF-7 cell line as a breast cancer cellular model.

Bahar M, Khaghani S, Pasalar P, Paknejad M, Khorramizadeh MR, Mirmiranpour H, Nejad SG.
Source

Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Tehran, Iran.

Abstract

BACKGROUND/AIMS:

Matrix Metalloproteinases 2 is a key molecule in cellular invasion and metastasis. Mitochondrial ROS has been established as a mediator of MMP activity. Coenzyme Q(10) contributes to intracellular ROS regulation. Coenzyme Q(10) beneficial effects on cancer are still in controversy but there are indications of Coenzyme Q(10) complementing effect on tamoxifen receiving breast cancer patients.
METHODS:

In this study we aimed to investigate the correlation of the effects of co-incubation of coenzyme Q10 and N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) on intracellular H2O2 content and Matrix Metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2) activity in MCF-7 cell line.
RESULTS AND DISCUSSION:

Our experiment was designed to assess the effect in a time and dose related manner. Gelatin zymography and Flowcytometric measurement of H2O2 by 2'7',-dichlorofluorescin-diacetate probe were employed. The results showed that both coenzyme Q10 and N-acetyl-L-cysteine reduce MMP-2 activity along with the pro-oxidant capacity of the MCF-7 cell in a dose proportionate manner.
CONCLUSIONS:

Collectively, the present study highlights the significance of Coenzyme Q(10) effect on the cell invasion/metastasis effecter molecules.

JennyB 07-30-2011 02:40 PM

Thanks Jackie,
I feel like I will continue to take my supplement as I also have higher (not high) blood pressure and I am sure this will help with that also!
Jenny

SarahFoodforBC 07-30-2011 03:29 PM

Hi bird,

the available evidence re CoQ10 and breast cancer is just too thin for me and there have been a lot of poor quality studies (in contrast with the work on CoQ10 and heart failure, which is much more convincing). While there was a lot of interest in the topic a few years ago by main stream researchers, it has petered out. This normally is a sign that previous study results were not great. The study I mentioned previously is the first one I have come across that indicates that high doses of CoQ10 might be harmful for breast cancer survivors and the results need to be confirmed. However, in a way it is not surprising since other antioxidants have also been shown to have a "U shaped" response curve. In other words, both a deficiency and an excess can promote cancer, whereas there is a level in between that inhibits cancer development, growth or invasion. The problem is that most of the time, we don't know where that "sweet spot" is and that is certainly the case for CoQ10. So, from my point of view, a safe and effective dose has not been established for those with breast cancer.