HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Help for Fatigue from Radiation anyone? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50527)

joyce lutz 06-24-2011 01:12 PM

Help for Fatigue from Radiation anyone?

My daughter finished a 2nd round of SRS for her brain mets on 4/26 and had WBR 6/10 and is now experiencing TERRIBLE fatigue as a result of the radiation. Does anyone have any suggestions to help get her through this? She does nap and tries to walk a bit each day, but it's really pretty bad. She is on decadron 3mg/day, weaning down from 4 mg/day. Suggestions most welcome! My best to you all
Joyce

tricia keegan 06-24-2011 04:39 PM

Re: Help for Fatigue from Radiation anyone?

Joyce I was very fatigued during rads but just found listening to my body and sleeping as much as as I could was the best remedy!

joyce lutz 06-24-2011 04:44 PM

Thanks. How long did the fatigue last?

Jackie07 06-24-2011 09:16 PM

I remember being very fatigued after receiving three shots of Gamma-knife radiosurgery to the center of my brain. It gradually wore off - probably three months before I felt a little bit 'normal'. I could imagine the fatigue from WBR. She's going to be feeling tired for quite a while.

Drink a lot of fluid and eat lots of 'brain food' such as walnuts. Exercise, exercise, exercise! Exercise increases the blook flow and aid the synapses of the neurons in the brain.

[I made a mistake after my first brain surgery. Thinking that I needed more rest, I isolated myself and stayed home most of the time. Big mistake! Our brain needs exercises - both physical and mental exercises...]

joyce lutz 06-25-2011 05:24 AM

Thanks Jackie - How are you doing now with the brain issues? When did you have the radiation? What are you taking now? My best to you
Joyce

Pam P 06-25-2011 05:43 AM

Joyce =

I had wbr in March (30 tx) I was okay for the 1st couple of weeks then the fatigue really hit. Sorry I don't have any tips except to say just get the rest your body needs it's working hard dealing with the rads and need the sleep to recover I think.

I will say though = I just went to bed and didn't try to be active a little each day because I felt so bad. The decadron plus inactivity really caused a lot of muscle loss especially in my legs which now I'm still struggling to recover. It's getting better but it's slow. I'm still fatigued but now it's from the chemo I'm on.

I certainly understand your daughter's fatigue.

tricia keegan 06-25-2011 05:18 PM

Joyce I "Just" had rads for breast cancer rather than mets, but the fatigue lasted all the way though, but for me it was a breeze after chemo and was glad it was my only side effect but do think this is fairly common.