HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Zoladex (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52385)

JennyB 12-07-2011 06:43 PM

Zoladex

Hello Ladies,

I have just found out that,even though my oncologist said there was a very small chance, my ovaries have kicked back into action! Were not sure for how long as the last blood test I had the hormone aspect was forgotten!! Anyway I knew something was wrong due to the eruption on my skin of hormone associated spots so went and had an extra blood test! Now I am just about to go and have a Zoladex injection to stop the ovaries and put me back in menopause so I can continue with the Femara tablets. My question is could I have been having increased risk taking Femara when my ovaries have been producing and since my last blood test was August showing all hormones stopped could this relatively short time period be enough to increas risk also??
Also I believe Zoladex overstimulates the ovaries to the point of failure, I think?, so in this initial overload stage do you think I should stop the Femara too??
I am of course trying to get hold of my onc for chat about all this but was wondering if anyone had experience first?
Thanks in advance ladies and Gents
Jenny x

JennyB 12-07-2011 08:00 PM

Re: Zoladex

Me again!
Just been to have the injection, I now have to stop taking the Femara for 3 weeks I'm guessing that is while the drug floods my body with the hormones??
My only issue now is that I was quite happy having the occasional couple of glasses of wine with my AI (due to drunk mouse study!) However now I am unsure and a bit pissed that this has come about just before my birthday and Christmas!! Any opinions on this??
Jenny

Lien 12-08-2011 06:19 AM

Hi Jenny,

I think the most important reason for them to suggest not taking Femara for 3 weeks is that, indeed, your ovaries are stimulated and the Femara would be useless. I had Zoladex for 5 years and did fine on it. Never had Herceptin or chemo, but my tumor was small. I can't drink wine because of grape allergy, but have been drinking a few glasses of cider a week for years and am still recurrence free. I was diagnosed in 2004.

I suppose your diagnosis was more serious than mine, and you have such young kids still, which makes you more nervous about having a drink. However, I don't think just a few glasses, like one on your birthday and one at Xmas will make a big difference. It is the cumulative effect that increases the risk.

My periods came back after quitting Zoladex at age 50. I couldn't believe I had to go out and buy tampons again. I also developed a fibroid. Sigh. Hopefully Menopause will kick in soon. I'm 52 now.

May you see your kids graduate, move to their own places and have babies without ever having to deal with cancer again.

Jacqueline

JennyB 12-10-2011 04:34 AM

Thanks Jacqueline, I hope so too xx

tricia keegan 12-10-2011 04:55 PM

Sorry I cant help, I had an ooph for prevantive measure's and still doing okay on arimidex but do wish you well!

Becky 12-10-2011 07:03 PM

Dear Jenny

I was like you but I think older at the time. I was on Arimidex (at age 46) and 2 months later, I got my period back - ughh! Later I found out that an alternative use for AIs is to actually assist younger women who have fertility issues if they are on the edge (google it and you will see that it can also help regulate the menstrual cycle) therefore it should only be used by women who were postmenopausal prior to bc. I actually think the Arimidex helped bring my period back because prior to treatment, I was still getting my period.

Since I was 46 and was going to be 47 in a few months, I opted to get my ovaries removed. Zoladex or Lupron put you in chemical menopause. But in any case, you will be in menopause just as I was by getting the ovaries removed. I too had to wait 3 weeks until all the hormones were out of my body and then I started back up on the Arimidex. Here is a link to one article I found. Femara and Arimidex work the same way.

When I got my period back, my gyne did an ultrasound and saw that one ovary had 2 follicles about to ovulate and the other had one follicle. I was sure glad my husband had had a vasectomy about 7 years prior - can you imagine!! Being 46 and just finishing treatment then wham:)

http://breast-cancer.emedtv.com/fema...fertility.html

JennyB 12-10-2011 10:47 PM

Thank you for that information Becky, it seems a little silly to give Femara to me on the basis of chemo induced menopause especially when so many have their cycles return!
Anyway another 3 weeks and it will join those other distant memories on the treatment journey. I can't believe how much I have forgotten already when at the time it seemed it would never leave me! My daughter (only just 3) can't really remember me bald and I was forever 'undressed' at home!
Thanks again
Jenny x