HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Very scared and trying to breath (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60691)

linn65 04-06-2014 01:13 PM

Very scared and trying to breath

It has been 3 weeks Friday since my final diep flap surgery, and I struggled with at first with....my right shoulder muscle being tight on right side and it went to base of. Neck and up. and I have kept trying to loosen it by heat, ice, bio freeze, ibuprofen and pain meds. Nothing seemed to work, and I asked the nurse about it from my plastic surgeon and she said only work half days last week and probably with the positioning they had me in just made all this happen. Then it became like a really bad stiff neck, then it would it pop when moving my head around. Finally, the pain got really bad and I went to ER. He x-rayed it and said it looked like a cervical sprain and arthritis. And it being In middle of night he said to call my doctor Monday.

My base of cervical spine looks swollen and so I am still icing it and laying here, pops if I turn it at All, so waiting to call doctor on Monday.

When the ER doctor did put is fingers on my cervical spine it really hurt and made me cringe inside. So how I am just scared to death...could cancer be in my cervical spine already....I don't know what to think.

Cat 04-06-2014 03:21 PM

Re: Very scared and trying to breath

Dear Lin,
Did the ER Dr. tell you anything to do?
If the ER Doc said it was a strain and arthritis then icing or heat is good but also moving it to keep it mobile. I had a TRAM so recovery is different but I do know I had pain in a lot of places except my "stoobs" as my daughter so named my boobs made of my stomach.
Do call your Dr. but try to relax as first it's unlikely the cancer has returned. Second arthritis hurts and the more inactive it is the more it hurts. It's a vicious cycle, it hurts to move but then gets worse if you don't. Try to move your head and neck gently without looking up though because that can pinch nerves and cause more pain. Advil is an anti-inflammatory and may be helpful if you can take it (with food). The popping is probably an indication of the swelling caused by changes in the soft tissue. I also have arthritis in my neck and it can sound like rice krispies at times!
Good luck with it and I hope you feel better soon.
Deep breath... Cathy

Lovemyboys3 04-06-2014 05:07 PM

Hi Linn65,

I am sorry to hear this second phase isn't going well and I hope you start feeling better soon. Could it be the inflammation is pressing on nerves? I am no doctor but I know when I first was diagnosed I was so tense and stressed that I began feeling this horrible pain up my neck and shoulders that went all the way down my back, leg and even to my feet. It was horrible! My doc felt a huge knot in my neck that took a lot of time to go down but once it finally did the pain subsided. I know the X-Ray showed more than a strained muscle but wonder if it could be doing the same thing. So many nerves in that area. I think if they saw something suspicious like cancer they would have said or done something at that point.

Stay strong and although I know how hard it is, try and relax as much as possible. Surgery is tough on the body much less after chemo. Our bodies have been through so much.
I pray you begin feeling better soon.

Jackie07 04-07-2014 02:54 AM

Hi Linn,

That sure was scary.

Once we've been through cancer, it's hard not to be alarmed whenever we feel aches and pains. And a 'pain on the neck' sure gets our attention.

I would take the ER doctor's word and contact the oncologist on Monday.

Your tumor was Grade 2 which is much slower growing than grade 3. I wouldn't worry too much about a bone metastasis if I were you.

Easier said than done.

We all understand the panic and worries in/after our cancer journey ...

Sending you good vibes.

ps. The pain you felt when you put your finger to it probably was caused by exposed nerves which will be related to the arthritis issue. It's not fun. I was told about 'cervical vertebrae degeneration' when I complained about similar problems. The x-ray confirmed it and I have been more careful when doing exercises.

linn65 04-07-2014 10:09 AM

Jackie my tumor was Grade 3.... Yuck, that means it can grow faster??

I have an appt at 2 to be seen by doctor do check in injections in my muscle in my shoulder and a possible MRI but not sure of anything yet.

Needless to say I had a BIG cry last night, and I just want to go to bed and wake up totally healed, take a vacation....it's starts to feel or my paranoid mind thinks I don't want to tell anyone another thing wrong with me....feeling a little defeated today.

michka 04-07-2014 10:25 AM

Push for a MRI. It is probably from the positionning on the operation table but you will really feel better once you understand what is going on in your neck.
Sending hugs. Michka

Cath 04-07-2014 10:33 AM

Hi Linn65, I know how scary every ache and pain is. Cancer never used to enter my mind when I wasn't feeling well or had pain but now it's the first thing that comes to mind. I'm glad you have a doctor's appt today. Hopefully he will ease your mind a bit. Sending good thoughts to you. Cathy

IrvineFriend 04-07-2014 03:15 PM

Hope you get some relief soon. You need a break!!!
-Julie

Cat 04-07-2014 03:25 PM

I'm also glad you're seeing the Dr. I hope you get some answers and relief. It's a hard road but it can be done. I know what you mean about not wanting to talk to anyone else about what else is going on and wanting it to just be gone but venting here can help.
Good luck with it all
Cathy

linn65 04-07-2014 07:06 PM

I had 4 injections in my neck today with cortisone and lidocaine mix. The first was a little uncomfortable but man the 2nd was a little shockingly painful I immediately tensed my shoulders and said damn, damn. Damn....the 3rd and 4th were kind of the same ad the first so it was doable.

They are scheduling an MRI and our to call me with time ans date to come back to do it. Part of me thinks if I get continued relief than should I do or not do MRI?? He said the popping in my neck is arthritis which he said I have had for years now. But surgery 3 weeks ago and he things the position I was in aggravated it most likely. So I keep thinking maybe I shouldn't look for trouble and do MRI because at this time what would I even do anyway because I don't have time from work after this last surgery. And I don't want to do another one either.

Thoughs ....MRI or no MRI??

IrvineFriend 04-07-2014 07:17 PM

The MRI will give a good look at what's going on. I would do it for sure.

Pray 04-07-2014 08:32 PM

I concur with the other. All reconstruction surgery is very tough to recover from. It takes many monthes not weeks. MRI sounds like the right thing to do. Peace of mind is every thing. MRI is defiantly the lesser evil of the tests you can have. Keep talking, that's half the battle. You really are doing great! His peace my friend��

snolan 04-08-2014 07:55 AM

Ask for a physical therapy evaluation. Try to find a therapist who works with cancer patients even a lymphedema therapist have training with reconstruction issues. I had to have therapy ended up with capsular tighness that was causing impingment issues and I am a therapist so you would think I would have done a better job at working my shoulder. Hope you start to turn the corner with this soon.
Suzanne

'lizbeth 04-08-2014 12:00 PM

Ah crap - I am so sorry that you are going through this. Been there done that with pain at the spine. Is this cancer mets? That is what we all ask.

I vote yes for the MRI. You need it for the peace of mind.

Inflammation in the cervical spine hurts. I had the worst whiplash decades ago. It took a year to heal. I lived on Advil - which by the way can draw sodium into the kidneys. I can't take it now makes the BP go through the roof.

You are taking a beating right now my crazy friend, hold on and expect to heal. Those doctors need to take good care of you. Who else will leave those hysterical messages in my inbox that crack me up so much.

Sending you love from the West Coast!

linn65 04-09-2014 06:03 AM

You women are all so good to me!! When I question myself, and am I doing good enough with all this treatment. It is such a cycle.....THANK GOD MY HANDS AND FEET AREN'T HURTING NOW!!!

Snolan Capsular tightness sounds like that is the problem or makes sense to me. I found my old MRI last night and in 2006 I had severe whip lash from sliding on black ice, and I hit a utility pole. At the time I would fall asleep and wake up so tight I literally couldn't move. I was married and I would tell my husband to help me, so he would pick me up and carry me to the couch and help me stretch it out. I did physical therapy, and I got better pretty quickly. Now, that being said I have had pain in my cervical spine in the past but it was always doable.

After each surgery I never had neck problems like now it feels like I have whiplash again or something. Anyway, when I looked at my MRI it said I had some sort of 2 to 3 mm cyst back then but they never really did or said anything about it, and I didn't really pay much attention to it either. Now, I did last night and of course that made me a little unsettled because the BC took years the doctor said to get to the place it was, but I think surely that is just a coincidence.

I will get my MRI done after hearing what everyone has said. Those cortisone shots have not started helping yet or should I say it just feels very, very tender in my right shoulder and up to the base of my neck and up......BUT I will try, try, try to be patient with myself and it sure is hard to do.

Colateral damage....I swear!! I am at work today, so I am trying to think of my posture, and I will look side to side, take my ibuprofen and hopefully soon this will all settle down inside!