HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Diet and supplement advice (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59591)

Becca24 11-24-2013 02:13 PM

Diet and supplement advice

Hi, just wondered if anyone had any advice or could tell me what dietary changes they made. I find the dietary advice a a bit of a minefield with many conflicting views. My oncologist has only advised me not to eat soya and to avoid things like sage that have plant oestrogen as i'm er pos too.
I've stopped eating red meat, never ate much anyway! Finding it very hard to stop dairy as recommended by some but have cut down.
As for supplements I take Krill, CoQ10 and asprin and also use lots of olive oil, taking it of the spoon too.
I would be grateful to hear what changes or supplements other women have taken or if there is a good thread to read through
Thanks
Becca

'lizbeth 11-24-2013 07:43 PM

Re: Diet and supplement advice

Vitamin D3 is important. You might want to get your levels tested first. There are many journal articles about low levels and cancer. Check with your doctors.

Becca24 11-25-2013 02:30 PM

Thanks Lizbeth, have been reading up on Vit D. Need to look into getting tested, will have a chat with my Doc
Becca

TanyaRD 02-20-2014 07:42 AM

Becca,
I am sorry I somehow missed your post. It sounds as though you are off to a good start. As you may have seen in other threads on this section of the message board, a plant-based diet (not necessarily vegetarian) is recommended for all cancer survivors. Fortunately, much of the cancer and nutrition research has been breast cancer focused. The American Institute for Cancer Research website ( www.aicr.org ) has a wealth of information available along with recipes. They also have a healthy eating challenge available for free which can be a good motivator.

Best wishes

Becca24 04-14-2014 07:18 AM

Hi Tanya
Thanks for your reply, apologies for my long delay in replying back!
Will definitely have a look at the website. So far diet going ok, enjoying cooking healthy meals and kids enjoying it too. Have given up all dairy apart from the odd cup of tea, well I am English!
Thanks again, Becca

roz123 04-16-2014 05:49 AM

have your vitD levels tested and then your doc will recommend the appropriate amount for you

this is the ONLY supplement that I was really encouraged to take by my onc so that has to tell you something!

Becca24 04-16-2014 11:21 AM

Thanks Roz, unfortunately most doctors in England don't seem to interested in vit d testing. Every time I ask I just get told as long as your diet is good you don't need to worry! My medical team have been fantastic but there are a few things I feel that they don't class as necessary but I do. Probably because of the financially stretched NHS. I am however looking at ways of paying for a private test as I believe lack of vit d is a problem.
Thanks, Becca

roz123 04-18-2014 08:45 AM

Becca
I live in Canada so its public healthcare as well. We have to pay for vitamin D testing but it is not expensive (30 dollars or so) because I had BC I get tested for free but I would have paid for it anyway. Im sure you can find a private clinic or your GP who will do it with a small fee. Its really important to know your D number so they can get you up to the proper level