HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The HER2 group at San Antonio 2012 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56835)

StephN 12-14-2012 08:23 PM

The HER2 group at San Antonio 2012

1 Attachment(s)
Hello amazing group.

Here is a thread to post photos and impressions of this year's San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium.

I will open with a great photo of some (most) of our group with Dr. Denis Slamon. He had just moderated a great presentation on the birth, development and sequels to Herceptin. All I had to do was approach him saying we were "Joe's HER2 ladies" and his attention turned completely to us!

We were able to talk briefly and take all the photos we wished. Seems the world's top docs are all like that. Once they see that a patient is who is approaching, you get their attention. There are not that many patient advocates at this meeting, and our questions are met with thoughtful answers.

Group photo L to R: Melissa (Mel3), JoanM, AliceM, Dr. Slamon, StephN, PaulaO.
(We represented fairly closely the 4 corners of the lower 48!)

KDR 12-14-2012 08:26 PM

Re: The HER2 group at San Antonio 2012

Very nice, photo, Steph. Can you name the women? (I know two).
Thanks,
Karen

StephN 12-14-2012 08:31 PM

Karen - You got ahead of me - I needed to do it in edit mode, so I got us in the right order ... chemo brain, you know!

Paty 12-14-2012 08:35 PM

Great Pic Ladies! And nice that you had Dr. Slamon in it!

Soccermom 12-14-2012 08:54 PM

Beautiful photo of our Her2 Rock Stars!

michka 12-15-2012 02:52 AM

I love this picture, thanks Steph and thanks Ladies for being our advocates.
Michka

Bunty 12-15-2012 03:08 AM

How lovely to see you all almost in real time! And how very special to meet Dr Slamon. Thanks for representing us all in San Antonio - I'm sure I'm not alone in saying how valuable I find this!
Cheers Marie

Paula O 12-15-2012 07:23 AM

I really liked the format of the Her2 presentation the evening that photo was taken: after a delicious dinner the panel of drs spoke. It was great hearing from one of our Her2 Heros, Dr Slamon. Nice guy. Then different scenereos of patient cases were presented and each table came up with their choice of treatment and voted thier answer on the ipad and you could see statistically how the entire room of people voted. I've learned so much here on this website and in my own journey through Cancerland,I was able to contribute to coming up with the right answers in the cases presented. :) It seemed that most of the folks at my table either knew nothing about Her2 positive breast cancer or most of them sure didn't want to express their opinion of what should be done in each patient case anyway even after learning from the presentation. Only three of us were willing to give our input each time although we tried to include everyone--oh well.

I was the sole woman at a table of 8 men. During dinner I had a very interesting conversation with a friendly, young breast surgeon from Brazil that was sitting to my right. A scientist from Germany sat to my left but I don't think he spoke a lot of english. An advocate told me about the "Bravia" reconstruction procedure and so I asked this breast surgeon about it. He likes the results of that method and personally knows the doc who developed it in Miami: http://www.miamibreastcenter.com/rec...stectomy-miami --it says no incisions, implants, or new scars and apparently most sensation is maintained--a transfer of your own fat via injection after your skin is loosened up. Anybody here do it this way or have input about it from the website? Here are some of the before and after photos:
http://www.miamibreastcenter.com/rec...e-after-photos
It says no scars but the photos do look like there's a scar on their abdomens. Where did the mastectomy scar go in the first photo I wonder? It looks gone but i don't know how that can be. I have not had reconstruction. This method is of interest to me possibly. No more surgery and the pain that typically goes along with reconstruction sounds good to me.

From the site:

http://www.miamibreastcenter.com/ima...-procedure.gif
  • No Foreign Objects
  • No Cuts or Incisions
  • No Scars
  • Liposuction
    (body sculpting)
  • Quick Recovery
  • Natural Breasts
  • Near Normal Sensation (reconstruction)

Paula

DanaRT 12-15-2012 07:50 AM

Nice pic of you all. Good report, Paula O. Thanks for sharing.

sarah 12-15-2012 08:50 AM

wow you alll look beautiful and radiant! thank you for going and being our advocates - so important. Nice to see our "hero" also!
Paula nice info about the new methods.
thanks
sarah

caya 12-15-2012 09:36 AM

Everyone looks great including Dr. Slamon! I met him a couple of years ago at a Breast Cancer Symposium here in Toronto at Princess Margaret Hospital - he patiently spoke with the many Her2 survivors who approached him after his talk.

all the best
caya

sassy 12-15-2012 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How many HER2 Sisters does it take to figure out a cell phone camera?

StephN, KarenZ, Rhonda(Sassy), Melissa(Mel3)

karen z 12-16-2012 05:44 AM

OMG- these are all great !
Do we have anything from the boat ride the last night?
I will see if someone can help me upload some pictures from the coffee on the river morning.
kz

Mandamoo 12-16-2012 02:16 PM

Lovely to see pictures of you all and hear your reports. :-)

I am wondering what talk of dealing with herceptin resistance their was? I spoke with my surgeon who is just back from San Antonio and he was all talk of Perjeta - especially in heavily pretreated women (though it is not available for us).
Any thoughts?
Amanda

NEDenise 12-16-2012 09:12 PM

Great pictures ladies! So sorry to have missed it...again.
Steph, as soon as we have a date for next year, please let me know...I'd love to try to finally get there! I don't care if I have to take the time unpaid...I want to be part of this wonderful experience next year...and collect some hugs in person!
Denise
ps - I just had what Sister Antoinette Marie used to call a "Revelation Moment"...I realized that I would be more excited to meet Dr. Slamon than to meet Paul McCartney! Now that's saying something! ;)

StephN 12-16-2012 11:32 PM

Manda -
Glad your onc could attend. There is work on Herceptin resistance. But do not have details top of mind.

One interesting tidbit regarding Tykerb resistance is that drug can elevate ER - causing an effect that women who were hormone negative would not expect to have. Something like 4 posters on that very bugaboo!

Denise - (Take note of above paragraph)
I can tell you that the dates for SABCS next year are Dec. 10 - 14. What I do not know, and is a question for many months down the line, is whether there will be any budget for some of us to participate with the HER2 site. That is not my department.

I also will not be able to go in any event as it is too late in the month for those of us in retail (unless we sell our store?!?).

karen z 12-17-2012 11:15 AM

One last time,
Please note budget concerns/issues above and please consider making a small donation to our site. Even with the holidays, most folks (perhaps not all) can donate at least five dollars. If we ALL did that, it would help a LOT. We CAN make a difference with a bunch of small donations we can afford.
KZ

SoCalGal 12-17-2012 11:24 AM

Funny cell phone photo - gave me a good laugh, thanks for sharing pix, ladies!

RE budget for our site, Karen's point is well taken, and I hope that we are as generous with our own site as we are when sending disaster relief to the red cross for Sandy et al. Cancer is another natural disaster of sorts and perhaps we need to start raising some dough (pun intended) for HER2support.org.
To whom it may concern--I would love to be involved in that task!! -A SoCalGal

Ellie F 12-17-2012 12:30 PM

Brilliant pics. Lovely to see you all with Dr Slamon. May he and the other researchers find our cure real soon.
Ellie

BonnieR 12-17-2012 02:18 PM

Loved seeing photos of you all in "real life". And how great to have met our rock star and hero!
Keep the faith.