HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Help its back! after 10 years (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57535)

Amanda 03-09-2013 03:13 AM

Help its back! after 10 years

Hi not been on here for a while. It looks like I have bone mets. Having a CT scan on tuesday but from what the doctor said on the phone it looks highly likely after the bone scan I had. After 10 years! Pain in my rib , I really don't know how I can face this I have 3 kids nearly grown up. Why now? I guess it will be herceptin and chemo. How do you cope? xxx 2nd time around

Ellie F 03-09-2013 04:35 AM

Re: Help its back! after 10 years

Hi Amanda
As another Brit you wanted to say how sorry I am to hear this news. I wondered if you were originally ER+. The reason I ask is that I have met many ladies at my centre who have recurred years after original diagnosis with bone mets, if fact one lady had just had a hip replacement due to mets that came back 15 years after initial treatment.
Please let us know how it goes and what plan your oncologist thinks will be most effective. You are not alone.
Hugs
Ellie

jaykay 03-09-2013 05:07 AM

I'm so sorry. I recurred after 12.5 years just 6 months ago. I know everyone is different but it was a major shock to me. Same pathology as first but in other breast and more aggressive.

You will cope and be wiser the second time around. Like me, you will probably drive the doctors and nurses crazy ;-). So many more tools in the arsenal these days.

I hate this horrible disease! But we are better than it

Best

Janis

Amanda 03-09-2013 02:24 PM

Thank you Ladies! you are so kind and inspirational. I will keep you posted and let you know how I get on. Yes my BC was Her 2 . So hopefully I will get hercepton. Are you both on it? Take care love Amanda xx

jaykay 03-09-2013 03:28 PM

Yes, I started herceptin whe I started chemo in November . Will continue on herceptin for a total of one year, every 3 weeks.

I did not have herceptin or chemo first time around even tho I was her2 positive. They were not recommending it for early stage back in 2000.

You take care and keep us informed

Janis

chrislmelb 04-06-2013 03:07 AM

So i see that you are ER+ as well as HER-2 + like i am . I recurred last year after 9 years. Tried Hormones and Herceptin first but it was unsuccessful so went onto Abraxane.

StephN 04-06-2013 12:08 PM

Hello Amanda -

Not a nice way to start spring - to learn your cancer is back!

Herceptin was in trials in 1999 through 2004, so unless you got it in a trial, you were given only chemo in those years. (If you even were tested for HER2 ...)

There are now various ways to treat bone mets, from new drugs to radiation. Look at any and all possibilities before you settle on a treatment.

Once we get a cancer diagnosis and go through all the months and months of surgeries and drugs, that feeling of vulnerability never quite leaves most of us. Through this time most of us develop another level of internal fortitude against the time we may get bad news again.

Draw on your ability for resilience and make sure you have some time for YOU to relax and let the treatments work. (I know, hard to follow that last advice in these busy times, but priorities change!)

All the very best.

ElaineM 04-07-2013 04:56 PM

I know the news is not happy news, but I know you will find a way to continue putting one foot in front of the other. Take good care of yourself.

Mtngrl 04-08-2013 08:05 AM

Dear Amanda,

Mets are never good news, but most people do well for a long time with bone mets. There are many treatment options.

I actually had a bone met that healed. My onc says in her experience when an area heals, the cancer doesn't come back.

Even if it doesn't heal, it's possible to keep it stable for a long time.

As others have said, you have a well of resilience and resolve from the first time around. You'll be able to draw on it.

And we are here to help.

Amanda 04-21-2013 01:46 AM

Hi Ladies!

Sorry I have not been on here for a while lots of hospital visits and more scans.
I have just found out that it is a broken rib and nothing ELSE! I am one of the lucky ones and very thankful. Thank you for all your help and support and I wish you all well . love Amanda xxx

vballmom 04-21-2013 05:20 AM

Fantastic! (Where else would a broken rib be great news?)

Paula O 04-21-2013 05:51 AM

Hooray that it's just a broken rib! Wonderful news!!!!!!

Hope you keep that NED status for good. :)

Paula

Becky 04-21-2013 01:33 PM

Its weird to say "oh great, its a broken rib" but only us cancer folks can say that so, I'm so happy its a broken rib. You will be good as new soon. I am so happy for this outcome. Thinking healing thoughts for you.

Amanda 04-22-2013 06:10 AM

Thank you Ladies !! I really appreciate your kind words. I have never been so pleased at having a broken rib! I having another CT scan in 3 months. They are going to check my bone density as it might have declined since the last one. I have osteopenia and take a weekly med and calcium.
We have just booked to take the kids away at Christmas to Florida! It makes you realise how I have taken people and life for granted. Love to you all xxx and thanks !

Jean 04-25-2013 07:24 AM

Amanda,
When I read your first post I was so sad. Then when I got to the post of the broken rib I had to chuckle, as everyone else posted "a broken rib" now that's good news....lol...ENJOY FLORIDA (one of my favorite states)

Hugs,
Jean

karen z 04-25-2013 09:10 AM

A broken rib..........what good news (and I know how strange that would sound to others).
Christmas will be a good time to go to FLA (nice weather, great beaches.......enjoy, enjoy, enjoy).
karen z

'lizbeth 04-25-2013 09:47 AM

Oh wow! Look what I missed. Crazy good news!

Eat lots of green veggies and citrus in Florida to speed the healing.

Ummmm . . . be careful on vacation, no parasailing, running with the bulls or contact football for you!