HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Xyloda (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52163)

CoolBreeze 11-16-2011 07:34 PM

Xyloda

My onc is going to switch me to Xyloda in mid-December. Although my cancer has been surgically removed, (liver resection a month ago) he believes that cells only react to chemo for a specific time and then you should change it up.

So, Xyloda is up next. I know foot and hand problems are common. Is there any other SE's I should know about, and is there anything I can do now to prevent the hand/foot syndrome? Does everybody get it?

So far, I've had an easy time with all my chemos. I don't know why but I am grateful. I would like that streak to continue so if there are any tips or tricks that folks know, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks!

Rich66 11-16-2011 10:22 PM

Re: Xyloda

Scroll down to Xeloda:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...614#post223614

hutchibk 11-16-2011 10:42 PM

I have recently been seeing these in Skymall mags on my flights and have wondered if they wouldn't be helpful for hand/foot stuff w/ Xeloda. Wish I had seen them when I was on it... http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...629399&c=10625

Trish 11-17-2011 12:08 AM

My first attempt having xeloda (in combination with Tykerb but I think you are staying on Herceptin) landed me in hospial twice with dehydration from diahoerrea and vomiting BUT it was very effective in reducing the tumour so I think worth it. Tykerb and Xeloda have overlapping side effects in particular the GI and hand foot problems. So I'm hopeful they won't happen to you.
Trish

pibikay 11-17-2011 06:24 AM

The main side efect faced by Hema is darkening of the skin and intially diaoreeah.She is on Tykerb and Xeloda.Xeloda one wek on one week off.

CoolBreeze 11-17-2011 05:50 PM

I believe I start it mid-December. I'm scheduled to go back to work December 5th, but I'm not sure I'm ready. I may request time until January - that way if I get any bad side effects, I'll know about it.

Skin darkening would be good! I'm way too light! :)

Angela R 11-29-2011 05:47 PM

I am on Xeloda and have managable side effects. Tiredness is the main one. My hands have been ok but me feet got sore towards the end of the 3rd dose (I had 6 doses of 2 weeks on 1 week off then a break). They got very hot and red and the skin came off like with blisters but I moisturised a few times a day and the skin never cracked, just peeled. The best moisturiser was MooGoo (Australian I think) but it had milk protein in it so restores skin elasticity. I tried others a few times but the skin felt tight after a couple of hours. Good news is that the symptoms began disappearing as soon as I stopped taking the tablets. Feet stopped hurting the next day and tiredness faded gradually. I had a break of 6 weeks and was back to my old self within a week or so. This time around I'm taking Vitamin B6 with each dose as I heard from another site that it helped with the feet and hands. I'm only midway through dose 2 so far and the symptoms are cumulative so I'll let you know how it goes. September scans were NED but I'm due for more soon. Cheers
Angela

KDR 11-30-2011 01:59 AM

I have been on Xeloda for at least six months. I was informed when it was dispensed that there could be side effects, especially diarrhea, and that I would know quite early on taking it whether I would be one of those patients who had it or not. Luckily, I wasn't, having only a few bouts here and there that was easily controlled with Immodium (keep it in your bag), lentil soup, bananas. Be sure to keep a stash of electrolyte replacements as dehydration causes more diarrhea.
As for hand and foot issues, that came later. I went a long distance with no issues or discoloration, which is common. Ultimately, my fingernails got so bad, I walked around with an emery board, unable to even make a bed without a painful snag. Quimica polish took care of that. Be warned, it can burn after putting it on, but after just one treatment, that is--ONE day, my nails changed. I put an ice pack on the fingertips if it really starts penetrating, and then all is well.
I use a file for my feet and a regimen of Callex ointment on feet (recommended by a mature onco nurse). Works wonders, and better than any beauty regimen. My hands and feet are remarkably smooth now. Lots of self-love on any chemo is my philosophy.
Both products are available through Amazon.
Best of luck with Xeloda, I've loved being on it, as it is oral and doesn't require frequent trips to the clinic. Looking forward to your continued success.
Karen

Deb33 11-30-2011 04:45 PM

Hi
I took Xeloda for 2 months along with Adriamycin and Herceptin - weird combo but was apparently what I needed. My dose was one week on and one week off.

I was warned about the hand/foot syndrome and went overboard - Uddercream throughout the day, no hot or cold water, as little friction as possible, comfortable shoes ALWAYS. I also got 2 B12 shots each week - a few days apart. My NMD found a few studies where B12 is involved to diminish the hand/foot problems. I never experienced any issues other than some burning. I would get an upset stomach within an hour of taking it but if I kept some starch in the meal I did better (rice/potato/bread). I was also told to wear gloves and socks at night and lasted one night - couldn't handle wearing them.

All in all, you will probably find it mild compared to the other stuff you have been on. Good Luck.