HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bone Scan Appointment (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61639)

hestko76 08-12-2014 06:30 PM

Bone Scan Appointment

I was able to see my primary care doc this afternoon, and did not have to drive 285 miles to my oncologist. After describing my femur (thigh) pain and hip pain, she ordered a bone scan. So, my complete bone scan will be on Friday afternoon. Please join me in praying and/or believing that I have no bone mets! Since I live in the southwest, and will be passing through Border Patrol check point to eat dinner in Alamogordo, I will have to carry a letter that says I have radioactive serum in me for 48 hours. Any experience with this protocol?

zhelmom 08-12-2014 10:07 PM

Re: Bone Scan Appointment

Helen, I know how you feel.ill be praying for you...

Pray 08-13-2014 05:06 AM

I'm praying for you and your family. Gods blessings�� His peace ��

Cath 08-13-2014 06:06 AM

Helen

I'm praying for you. As for carrying a letter for 48 hours - I have never had that happen to me. I just had my bone scan 3 months ago and also have had numerous PET scans and never have I been given a letter stating I had radioactive serum in me. I've always gone right back to work. Hoping and praying your bone scan turns out okay. Cathy

hestko76 08-13-2014 06:51 AM

Thank you ladies for the prayers. God listens! I found my answer about the border check point. For those of you who do not live in the SW, it wouldn't bother you. Going north, northeast, and west out of Las Cruces, we must pass through a check point. Here's the info:

After a bone scan, a small amount of the radiotracer remains in the patient and emits radiation. The amount is very small, and patients are safe to go about their routine activities after the procedure. However, it is important to keep in mind that patients may set off sensitive radiation detectors at border crossings for several days after the procedure. Getting a note from the clinic performing the procedure that includes the study performed and the radiotracer utilized can help prevent any false alarms by security personnel. Also, it is recommended to avoid close contact with a child for 1 hour after a bone scan with Tc-99m MDP; there is no restriction for patients undergoing a bone scan with F-18 NaF.

tricia keegan 08-13-2014 02:29 PM

Sending good wishes Helen!

Mtngrl 08-14-2014 10:11 AM

Helen,

I hope it's something else, and not bone metastasis. Good luck.

MaineRottweilers 08-16-2014 04:25 PM

Hope it went well.

hestko76 08-17-2014 07:05 AM

Well,, I had my bone scan, but still don't know the results. The tech did rescan a close up of my pelvis. I do know that my femurs did NOT "light up", so I think that is good. I have to wait until Wednesday to get the results.

Saygoon 08-17-2014 10:05 PM

Hoping you will get good news!! Scanxiety can be so frustrating - keep us informed.

Adriana Mangus 08-18-2014 06:35 PM

Good luck to you, and have fun.

I doubt the border patron agents know anything about radioactive anything!

I live in San Diego and travel often to Mexicali- - my former home town, sometimes the agents have no idea what they are talking about. Born and raised along the border, seeing it all.

Do you have to disclose that you have radioactive meds in your body?

hestko76 08-18-2014 06:42 PM

Yes, I "set off" the thing they wear around their neck, when he stuck their head near our car window and ask if you are US citizens (just like the bone scan tech said I would. I guess they check for radioactive things being transported). I just showed him my paper from the imaging center, and all was ok.