HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Clinical Trials (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mayo Clinic Vaccine Trial MUC1/Neuvax (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41211)

'lizbeth 09-25-2009 06:18 PM

Mayo Clinic Vaccine Trial MUC1/Neuvax

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...accine&rank=23

Does anyone have any experience with this vaccine trial?

Can I have opinions, input, positive or negative, please.

Thanks folks,

'lizbeth

Rich66 09-29-2009 09:09 PM

Re: Mayo Clinic Vaccine Trial MUC1/Neuvax

Where are you at in terms of treatment...what was the history?

'lizbeth 09-29-2009 09:24 PM

Rich66,

I think I blew my chance at this trial. I finished Herceptin in June. It has just been over 3 months. Do you think I'm out of luck?

'lizbeth

'lizbeth 09-29-2009 09:28 PM

Diagnosed 11/7 Her2+++, ER-, PR-
Mastectomy/Recon 1/08, Axillary Node dissection 3/08 (3 positive of 15 taken)
Taxotere & Herception started 6/13/08
Last Taxotere on 9/26/08, Last Herceptin 6/09/09

Rich66 09-29-2009 09:38 PM

"Completed "standard first-line therapy" only (including adjuvant therapy) for breast cancer within the past 3 months and currently with no evidence of disease"

Maybe not..but..might be worth asking the trial coordinator. Is there something in particular about this trial that attracts you? It does seem all arms get a smattering of treatment...which seems positive. I can't pinpoint it but the whole peptide vacc area seems to be gathering steam.

Rich66 09-30-2009 12:56 AM

related:

1: Curr Opin Oncol. 2009 Sep 16. [Epub ahead of print]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/corehtml...ges-pmlogo.gif Links
Current developments with peptide-based human tumor vaccines.

Khazaie K, Bonertz A, Beckhove P.
aDivision of Gastroenterology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Robert Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA bTranslational Immunology Unit, The German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany.
PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Cancer immunology became scientifically credible only some 20 years ago with the demonstration of the existence of human tumor antigens. In this short time span, outcomes of cancer vaccine trials have raised hopes and also surfaced disappointments. This review focuses on the prospects of peptide-based vaccines in cancer immunotherapy. RECENT FINDINGS: Accurate descriptions of the natural immune responses to cancer allow for a more precise targeting of such tumors by boosting preexisting antitumor immune responses in patients. The development of synthetic long-peptide vaccines avoids many of the pitfalls of previous vaccination trials through the presence of multiple epitopes that may elicit memory antitumor immune responses. Furthermore, the combination of standard therapy with newly developed immunomodulating agents, such as antibodies blocking cytotoxic T lymphocyte-associated antigen-4 or programmed death receptor-1, and more efficient immune adjuvants has shown promising results. SUMMARY: Immunotherapy is becoming an effective means of targeting human cancers, and the application of such approaches in combination with current standard schemes of treatment can lead to a significant benefit in survival and quality of life for cancer patients.
PMID: 19770763 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher

'lizbeth 09-30-2009 10:49 AM

Rich,

The reason why the vaccine appeals to me is that I want to prevent a recurrence of the cancer. I want to be able to get my pilot's medical back and keep it.

If I have a recurrence I'll be grounded for at least 5 years.

And I want to do something to move the treatment beyond chemotherapy. To give future cancer patients a better treatment with better quality of life.

'lizbeth 09-30-2009 11:05 AM

Rich66,

I put in a call to the Mayo Clinic. So we will see if I can participate.

I guess this sounds dumb now, but I thought patients had to coordinate clinical trials through their doctors. I guess this is something you have to do on your own.

DianneS 09-30-2009 09:08 PM

lizbeth,

Please keep me posted. I have been wondering about these her2 pos vaccines...don't know how safe they are. Are they only for women who have not been dx'd with bc or are they targeted to stop her2 pos in women like us?

Thanks,
Dianne (PS-what do you fly? My dad was a pilot for 40+ years -non commercial.)

'lizbeth 10-03-2009 03:53 PM

Hello all,

I heard back from the Mayo clinic. They sent information and sent my name and info to the AZ branch.

I will try and connect Monday afternoon. There are 31/45 slots filled.

Dianne, I fly general aviation aircraft from Cessna 152s to the Citation II. I'm just Stage II. I don't have Metastic cancer, I'm trying to prevent that :) This trial is for Stage II and IIIers who have been treated recently within 3 months.

Rich66 10-03-2009 09:18 PM

You might also investigate the cancer stem cell links I put in Articles.

'lizbeth 10-03-2009 10:01 PM

Rich66,

Is Articles a different thread? How do they prevent cancer with cancer stem cells?

Rich66 10-03-2009 10:26 PM

"Articles of interest" forum of this site:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38953

and

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39323

'lizbeth 10-04-2009 07:52 AM

Rich66

Thanks for the links. I'm not metastatic. I was treated for Stage II and currently NED. I'm going for preventative, therefore the vaccine trials.

I am having a hard time wading through the clinical trial material since receiving chemo. Any help narrowing trials down for me would be great. So if you come across pre-metastatic trials send them my way.

You can email direct at tsio520@aol.com

Thanks,

'lizbeth

DianneS 10-04-2009 01:33 PM

Hi lizbeth,

I'm so out of the loop living isolated like I do! I didn't know there were trials for stage I and II. I'd also like to prevent a recurrence. What are the risks with this trial?
I am 7 months from chemo but still on herceptin until Oct. 8. Does that qualify?

I don't know if you have time but I'd sure like to know what this trial is about, and what phase they are in. When will it be available to all her2+?

My dad used to fly just about everything...we owned a Fairchild when I was young. Generally he flew Cessna turbo charged planes but he loved Mooney's. I tried to get my license but my eyes are too poor. He got his seaplane license as well and his twin engine license. I think it's great that you fly! PLease keep me posted on this trial,
Dianne

'lizbeth 10-04-2009 05:33 PM

DianneS,

I see you live up in BC. My husband and I are visiting Acadia in about 10 days (that other side of Canada :)

His father was born in Caraquet.

I can't say how safe or unsafe the vaccine is. I know some on the board are not very impressed with vaccines. But I want to try and move modern medicine away from chemotherapy. I don't want to next generation to go through what we did.

Rich66 10-04-2009 06:36 PM

Just suggesting looking into, keep your eye on, or have your onc discuss, the agents that are thought to deal with cancer stem cells...possibly the "root" of the problem. Vaccines may target the larger non stem cell cancer cells. The concept is independent of stage.

Myra Lynn 01-01-2010 06:02 PM

Interesting. I like the idea of targeted approaches (like Herceptin) rather than "slash & burn" (chemo). Just a practical question: Does anyone know if you have to get to a Mayo Clinic to participate or can they make arrangements with other cancer centers? (I live near NYC).