HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The Purpose of Life is...... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41816)

harrie 11-10-2009 12:18 AM

The Purpose of Life is......

I would love to hear from anyone on this:

How would you complete this sentence, "The purpose of life is......."

If you would like to also include any quotes or song lyrics, that would be great too.
I have been asked to participate in this project, and would love to hear your thoughts.

Much aloha,
Maryanne

Colleens_Husband 11-10-2009 12:04 PM

Re: The Purpose of Life is......

Maryanne:

That is an interesting question. To me, this is a religious question at its heart. I always thought the purpose of life is to develop spiritual attributes so you can function in the next world. Much like a fetus develops physical attributes such as arms and legs in the womb, we are here to develop our spiritual arms and legs to function in the next world.

To that end, our job is to become better people in this world, and sometimes tests and difficulties, such as cancer, help us become better people. It is the struggle that makes us stronger.

Or I could be all wrong.

Lee

Laurel 11-10-2009 06:11 PM

the purpose of life is to love and be loved......

harrie 11-10-2009 11:33 PM

Thank you Lee and Laurel. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts on this. Here's mine:

The purpose of life is to perpetuate postive energy within the universe. From a personal standpoint it means keeping an open mind and heart, appreciation of the present moment, and living in love, compassion and gratitude.

Maryanne

SoCalGal 11-11-2009 03:34 PM

Hi Maryanne,

When I saw your thread I was reminded of something I wrote to my kids after my stupid & unwelcome cancer recurrence in MAY 2002. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share & also to read other points of view...
Flori

What is the point of life?
<o></o>
Love is the point of life. Feel love as much of the time as possible. Do something you love everyday. Be with people you love. Go places you love. Wear clothes and shoes and purses and jewelry that you love. Love your friends. Love your family. Love your children and your man. <o></o>
<o></o>
Giving love and receiving love is the whole point. Help other people and also help yourself. Love yourself. Eat healthy and do things that show love and respect for your body.
<o></o>
Make the best of every situation. Reach out and be kind to others, Spread your love. No one little thing is that important. Deal with things one at a time, as they come.
<o></o>
Let people love you. Let them help you. And respond in kind, with love, support and patience.
<o></o>
Trust in your inner self; trust in the love of the world and the universe. Just as there are dark days, there will be light days. Just as there is illness and suffering, there is also wellness and surviving. Survive, thrive and try to capture the love that exists.
<o></o>
Nothing lasts forever, but the love in our hearts remains as long as our hearts beat. LOVE. Take it, hold it, and reflect it.
<o></o>
That…is the point of life.

StephN 11-11-2009 07:01 PM

My father was the perfect example of living a life of service to our fellow men, women and children. His heart was bigger than life.

He had the most genuine sort of humanity in all his dealings with people on every level.

His Kiwanis Club is honoring him by dedicating in his name a clinic that specializes in resetting and repairing bones. The clinic is in Africa in the capital of Niger.

"Sign," founded in 1998 by Lewis Zirkle Jr., a Richland-based orthopedic surgeon, has already trained about 3,000 doctors in 49 countries in how to use its patented nails, and the procedures have been performed more than 40,000 times.
http://www.xconomy.com/seattle/2008/...-help-healing/

SIGN is another tiny non-profit such as HER2support.org that does a lot of good with minimal funding. An honor to have Dad's name on a plaque in the new clinic in Niger.

Jackie07 11-16-2009 06:40 PM

The late Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek, past President of China before 1949 and then worked on the modernization of Taiwan untill his passing in 1974, had stated (listed in the junior high school textbook)that "The meaning of life is to create the future lives of the universe; the purpose of life is to improve the livlihood of all mankind."

Pretty profound stuff for 13-year-olds to absorb.

harrie 11-16-2009 11:17 PM

That's awesome Jackie!

Bill 11-24-2009 04:25 PM

To discover your true Path, and follow it, wherever it may lead, with a sense of Thankfulness in your heart, that you were given the opportunity....

harrie 11-25-2009 12:14 AM

Bill, that's awesome. I really like that. Full of gratitude for life.

Here's another one from me:
The purpose of life is to maintain the sustainablity of life thru love, compassion, and gratitude.

margiermc 11-25-2009 12:44 PM

The purpose of Life is...Giving Back

margie