HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Books We Couldn't Put Down (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38417)

karen z 03-15-2009 06:16 PM

Books We Couldn't Put Down

How about sending along the name of a book that you simply could not put down?

My most recent is "Alex and Me" (How a Scientist and a Parrot Uncovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence- and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process).

This book is fascinating- a must read. Alex was quite intelligent and a funny little prankster. I highly recommend this book!

karen z 03-15-2009 06:22 PM

Another must read is "The Art of Racing in the Rain". The book is written from the point of view of Enzo, an intelligent dog who longs for opposable thumbs and thinks that monkeys' brain power has been a tad bit overestimated. Everyone I have loaned this book to has loved it.
kz

chrisy 03-15-2009 06:43 PM

Great idea, with spring just around the corner...beach books can't be far behind.

I loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audren Niffenegger. It's a novel about a time traveler and his wife, he bounces back and forth through time, and her lifetime. It's a wonderful story!

chrisy 03-15-2009 06:45 PM

I also admit to not being able to put down ANY of the Harry Potter books, so when I get to book # 7, the final book, I just hug it.

Ok, it's a kids book series, but what can really be better than your live is influenced by your choices, friends and loyalty are keys to success, and love is the most powerful magic in the universe...

vickie h 03-15-2009 07:43 PM

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
This is a true story, so remarkable it is hard to believe. About overcoming almost insurmountable odds.
What is so astonishing about Jeannette Walls is not just that she had the guts and tenacity and intelligence to get out, but that she describes her parents with such deep affection and generosity. Hers is a story of triumph against all odds, but also a tender, moving tale of unconditional love in a family that despite its profound flaws gave her the fiery determination to carve out a successful life on her own terms.

For two decades, Jeannette Walls hid her roots. Now she tells her own story.

hutchibk 03-15-2009 07:44 PM

Killing Bono - if you were a music nut like me in the 80s and 90s... this is a fantastic book, true story, very entertaining, so well written. It's by a friend of Bono's from high school - he was the one who was supposed to be the rock star, kind of a doppelganger/Life of Brian(M. Python) kind of story.

WomanofSteel 03-15-2009 07:47 PM

The Cell by Stephen King kept my interest from the 1st page to the very end.

Gerri 03-15-2009 08:18 PM

Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven -- both by Mitch Albom

Chris: I LOVE the Harry Potter books!! They are everything you said plus proof that good triumphs over evil.

harrie 03-20-2009 03:51 PM

Eat Pray Love by Eliz Gilbert
Loved that book.

StephN 03-20-2009 04:14 PM

"Three Cups of Tea" - just started it and I am fairly itching to get back to it - maybe after dinner!

Mary Jo 03-22-2009 05:07 PM

My most recent....couldn't put it down was "The Shack" by William Paul Young.

Bill 03-23-2009 08:22 PM

Wow, just read The Cell, and loved it, and right now, can't put down The Shack. Great minds think alike, huh? I've found most of the books written by Dan Simmons to be great reads.

karen z 03-29-2009 04:30 PM

For those of you who have posted: If you didn't tell us anything about the book but the title could you tell us a little bit about the story (or writing) and what held your interest?
Thanks!
Karen

karen z 03-29-2009 04:34 PM

Drove from Atlanta to Asheville today to go to a reading/book signing event. Heard Natalie Goldberg talk about writing memoirs- the subject of her new book. Fascinating! But now I have to get back home and teach tomorrow.

Jackie07 04-13-2009 01:48 AM

I am a Harry Potter fan also - my late Mother-in-law gave me the four-volume set several years ago. It's like reading Chinese Kung-fu stories...

My favorite book is the collection of Short Stories by Leo Tolstoy. I can always open the book and read 'Love', 'How much land'...

juanita 04-20-2009 06:02 PM

the last lecture