HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Chemo questions (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45806)

Faith in Him 06-29-2010 03:51 PM

Chemo questions

I posted this on the IBC forum but didn't get any responses, so I'll try here.

My onc wants to put me back on Xeloda even though I have no signs of the IBC rash, no symptoms, and my last scan was clear. His thoughts are I am young and why change what was working. I had a chemo break for surgery.

I am due for another scan but even if that is clear; he wants me on chemo.

I don't understand why I can't just stay on Tykerb. Hate the thought of being back on chemo.

Any thoughts?

Darlene Denise 06-29-2010 06:18 PM

Re: Chemo questions

Maybe you could ask about going with Tykerb and Herceptin instead? I have heard that this combo works well in the IBC setting. It would give the cancer a double whammy and give you a chemo break.

Just a thought. Hope it works out for you!!!

Darlene

tricia keegan 06-30-2010 04:01 PM

I'd have the same feelings with a clear scan too!

Maybe tykerb alone or with herceptin would help?

Jackie07 07-15-2010 01:34 AM

Tonya,

Have you and your oncologist reached a consensus?

It looked to me that he's just trying to get you to resume what you were on before the tram/flap. But once you've enjoyed the chemo 'holiday', you don't want to go back to the harsh stuff.

How are you feeling right now? It probably will take a while to recover from the surgery. Take it easy now and let us know how it goes.

Leslie304 07-15-2010 05:21 AM

Hi Tonya,
I would be hesitant to go back on Xeloda unless there was an obvious reason to do it. I would question your onc more. Does he have a strong belief that the cancer is not gone. Xeloda as a preventive sounds harsh to me. If it were me, I'd be very hesitant. I'm sort of in the same situation as you and my MSKCC onc has not suggested such a harsh drug as a preventive measure. Keep us posted. Leslie

Pam P 07-15-2010 05:49 AM

I like Darlene's suggestion of adding herceptin to the tykerb and I' d ask the onc about that. Like Jackie said, perhaps your onc. is trying to get you back to the same treatment as before your surgery. If so I'd ask how long he would keep you on xeloda/tykerb with clear scan? How do you tolerate the xeloda? If your scan is clear and resume xeloda could you go with a lower dose?

Chelee 07-15-2010 02:26 PM

Faith, I agree with the others that Tykerb/Herceptin would be a good combo to try.
You might also want to think about getting a 2nd or even 3rd opinion on your situation...I find that always helps. These decisions are never easy ones. Keep us updated.

Chelee

ElaineM 07-15-2010 04:31 PM

I would get a second opinion. Meanwhile I think Tykerb and Herceptin might be a good idea. Good luck.

Faith in Him 07-15-2010 06:39 PM

Hi y'all,

I think I'll bring up the Tykerb/herceptin combo when I met with Dr. Onc on Friday. I will also see my second opinion Onc at UCSF soon.

I have a CT scan next Friday the 23rd. Praying for NED. Here we go again with the worry, anxiety and grumpiness. My poor husband! :(