HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A Bittersweet Day / Treatment #2 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28850)

Sheila 06-21-2007 03:31 PM

A Bittersweet Day / Treatment #2

It was a bittersweet day today for me, going to Chicago for Treatment #2...just Taxol today, I am just coming out of my drug high...the benedryl / decadron kicks my but. My scalp is tingling all over...could be my hair ready to take the jump. GOOD NEWS, THE NODES ARE SHRINKING ALREADY!!!!
The most pleasant surprise when I met up with Donna D from Crystal Lake (and her wonderful husband) in the chemo waiting room....(US HER2 GALS KNOW HOW TO PICK A SWANK PLACE!) ....joined together in an illness we didn't want, and can't control, I have found and met the most spectacular women, friends and support system....& Donna is one of them! Without this disease, I would have never met others from this group who have sustained me many times over the 5 years...I am blessed!
In sadness today, I returned home to get the phone call that my best friend passed away this morning, ironically while I was getting my chemo....she fought so hard, I was so happy that I felt well enough to spend the last couple days with her...I knew it would be a few days after my treatment until I felt up to driving back. I have a void in my life that will take time to fill...but I know that she is not in pain and so with me in spirit on my journey. She went with such dignity (although she did get upset with me yesterday when i wanted to clean her teeth, which I did every time I went there to see her)! It was a standing line between us, you don't know who or whose butt you may have to kiss today, so brush up. Thank you all for all your prayers....they have given me hope and love during the process of losing "my best friend to cancer," Mary Jo, at age 55.

Vanessa 06-21-2007 03:35 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she passed peacefully. I am also glad that you were able to meet up with a new friend. Best wishes to you. I will be praying for you and your friend's family.

KellyA 06-21-2007 04:02 PM

Dear Sheila,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. What a difficult time this must be for you. I think God sends angels to help us all during difficult times and it sounds like Donna was sent to you to brighten your day. I am sure that you brightened hers as well :-). I will keep you in my prayers- hang in there- it sounds like the chemo is doing its job!

Love, Kelly

Adriana Mangus 06-21-2007 04:05 PM

Shrinking?

Sheila:

Glad to hear such good news!!

After just two treatments your doctor ordered a tumor marker test?
I'm impressed. I'm just guessing, is there any other way to find out whether the treatment is working?

Take care,

Karen Weixel 06-21-2007 04:11 PM

Dear Sheila,

I am so sorry about your friend Mary Jo. You will both be in my prayers.

Hugs,

Karen

DonnaD 06-21-2007 04:48 PM

Dear Sheila,
I am so sorry to hear about Mary Jo's death. You knew it would be soon, and I know how much you will miss her.

The pleasure was mine dear friend today. Can I actually be looking forward to going to Rush in 3 weeks. Yep, cuz I know we will see each other. My husband really enjoyed talking with your husband. Blessings come in the strangest ways and I count you as one.

You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as well as Mary Jo's family.

Love,
Donna

Chelee 06-21-2007 04:49 PM

Shelia, I am so very sorry about the loss of your friend Mary. I know through your other posts how much she meant to you. I am at a loss for words. My heart goes out to you. Please accept my deepest sympathy.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelee

nitewind 06-21-2007 04:49 PM

Sheila, I'm so sorry to hear the news about your friend, I know that you were very close.
But, glad to hear that the nodes are shrinking already!
Keeping you and Mary Jos family in my prayers

tousled1 06-21-2007 05:47 PM

Sheila,

My sincere condolences to you in the loss of your best friend. I too lost a dear friend yesterday so I understand what you are going through. The good news, is that both of them are in a better place now. Also, great news that your treatments are already showing improvement. Keep up the good work! Also congrats on meeting a new friend.

Mary Jo 06-21-2007 06:32 PM

Hi Sheila,

I'm so sorry that you had to come home to the phone call about your friend's passing. Even when it's expected, news such as that is never heard without a gasp and a bit of shock. For her sake, yes, thank God it is over. Her pain is over and her spirit lives on in joy, peace and eternal rest. For the survivors, even though we too want their suffering to end, the emptiness and void it leaves is hard to adjust too.

I pray peace for you and her family.

With love and happiness for you dear friend that the nodes are getting smaller.

Hugs,

Mary Jo

lexigirl 06-21-2007 07:11 PM

Sheila,

I am sorry to read that you lost your dear friend. I am happy that you were able to spend time with her and that she is no longer suffering. She is in a much happier place I am sure.

That is so great that you are already showing a responce to your tx! That is terrific! You will be back to NED soon!

Hugs,
Lexi

Liz J. 06-21-2007 07:43 PM

Dear Shiela,

Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your best friend. I can relate to your noting how she reacted to your trying to clean her mouth yesterday. I do recall your saying how you would do this for her all the time. I have experienced similar situations with both my Dad and an Aunt just before they passed on. I almost believe they know they are leaving and sort of want us to get PO'd at them or something so that maybe we won't hurt as bad. Of course, this is just my reasoning, but I have listened to many people who have had these experiences. The old expression (you always hurt the one you love) could apply. I don't mean to upset you with this. I hope this will make you feel better. They sort of try to push us away in the hopes it will ease things for us. Just know that she appreciated everything you did for her and she is looking down on you as your treatments continue. I am thankful that your nodes are shrinking.

Stay strong,

With love,

Liz J.

rinaina 06-21-2007 07:57 PM

Sheila, please accept my heartfelt sympathy and condolences. I know how close you were to your dearly departed friend and I am at least relieved to know that she is not suffering and went peacefully and not in pain. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time in your life. Glad to hear about the nodes. I continue to pray for you to have excellent results from this treatment. Amen to all you said about the wonderful women on here who have become friends and how cool that you and Donna met up....but next time do it at a more desirable location, will ya!

Sheila 06-22-2007 04:16 AM

Thank you all for all the thoughts and prayers....I am so very happy and lucky to have had her as a best friend for 40 years in my life....and although there is a void, I don't have to watch her suffer.....

kimber 06-22-2007 05:43 AM

Sheila - Bittersweet does say it all. Mary Jo is finally free from the suffering.

I am so happy, no, make that estatic about your response to treatment!!!!! Your strength and attitude really does inspire me.

You go girl! -kim

Joy 06-22-2007 06:14 AM

just more thoughts coming your way. I'm so very sorry Sheila.

I'm very happy about the shrinking nodes. Keep up the great work!

Shell 06-22-2007 06:25 AM

Sheila-

Thank you for sharing about your friend, and your aptly named title, also sharing with us the progress you are making. You are in our thoughts and prayers...

Regards,

Believe51 06-22-2007 06:39 AM

Dearest Sheila

I had wrote a post to you that was missing the day we upgraded the site and I could never find the beautiful words I had expressed. All I know is that the night before you mentioned your friend, I had been at a close friends airport hanger. As I stared into the sky and watched the amazing quiet despite the chaos of thousands of lights in the background, warm thoughts flooded my mind about you. You end up in my mind quite frequently. At the time I had no idea about your friend. I have never ever heard it so quiet there before and I would like to think the evening was made just for me!!

I took that quiet for an oppurtunity to pay a peaceful tribute to my friends here. The next morning I found out about your sweet friend and have keep her and her family in my heart and prayers. Know that you are in my husbands and my prayers always. Your friendship is priceless and I am so blessed to be able to learn from you about things that go beyond breast cancer. You are an amazing person!!

Sorry this post still does not say what the original one did. Just updated this with my sincerest sympathies. If you need anything, just beckon, I am right here always. Sending you bigs hugs and love your way, hope you can catch!!..>Waiting For A Miracle>..Believe51..(Marie G)

atdec05 06-22-2007 07:14 AM

Dear Sheila,

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your friend Mary Jo. I have to believe she is by your side helping you shrink those tumors away. That's fabulous news that after only 2 treatments the Taxol is working.

take care,
Anna

kacey 06-22-2007 07:41 AM

Sheila, Just wanted to say how sorry I am about Mary Jo. She was such a dear friend of yours, but now she is at pece and no longer suffering. I'm glad you got to spend the previous days with her.

Yea to your shrinking nodes!!Evidently you have the right tx.
God Bless and prayers going your way for you and your friends family.

Kacey