HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Radiologic conference--semiannual mammograms being recommended to post-lumpectomy, (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44959)

Lani 04-30-2010 11:50 AM

Radiologic conference--semiannual mammograms being recommended to post-lumpectomy,

radiation therapy bc patients

Post-Lumpectomy Patients May Benefit From Semiannual Mammograms, Study Suggests

Semiannual mammographic surveillance (every six months) of women who receive post-breast conservation therapy (or “lumpectomy”) for the treatment of breast cancer allows physicians to detect recurrences at an earlier stage, potentially saving the lives of some women, according to a study to be presented at the ARRS 2010 Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA.

A lumpectomy is the standard of care for treating women with early stage breast cancer. It is proven to be just as effective as a mastectomy, but much less invasive. “Unfortunately, neither approach cures all women,” said the authors of the study.

About 10-20 percent of women will go on to develop a recurrence of the first tumor or a new second primary cancer after a lumpectomy. “Those with a recurrence or a new second primary cancer have up to a 300 percent increased risk of dying from it. Thus, adequate surveillance for recurrence through mammography and clinical exam is important,” said the authors. However, most institutions monitor these women yearly and this may be too conservative because cancer organizations also currently recommend screening low-risk women from the general population every year.

“Our study, performed at the University of California, San Francisco, included 7,140 exams that were compliant with our semiannual protocol and 1,065 that were considered to represent annual follow-up. Cancers identified at semiannual surveillance were less advanced than those identified during annual surveillance. Invasive cancers identified at semiannual surveillance also tended to be smaller and lymph-node negative,” said the authors.

“Our study is the first to provide hard evidence that there may be a benefit to semiannual screening of post-lumpectomy patients. Semiannual surveillance detects recurrences at an earlier stage, when the tumor is more likely smaller and has yet to spread to the adjacent lymph nodes, which can increase ones chance of survival,” said the authors.

This study will be presented on Tuesday, May 4, at 2:50 p.m. Pacific Time. For a copy of the abstract or to schedule an interview with one of the study authors, please contact Heather Curry via E-MAIL at hcurry@acr-arrs.org.

About ARRS

The American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS) was founded in 1900 and is the oldest radiology society in the United States. Its monthly journal, the American Journal of Roentgenology, began publication in 1906. Radiologists from all over the world attend the ARRS annual meeting to participate in instructional courses, scientific paper presentations and scientific and commercial exhibits related to the field of radiology. The Society is named after the first Nobel Laureate in Physics, Wilhelm Röentgen, who discovered the x-ray in 1895.

###

Becky 04-30-2010 12:38 PM

Re: Radiologic conference--semiannual mammograms being recommended to post-lumpectomy

I wonder for how long they want mammos 2x a year. I had lumpectomy and had mammos 2x a year for the first two years but after that, it became annual.

The article doesn't say how long they are recommending semi annual.

Gerri 04-30-2010 06:29 PM

Re: Radiologic conference--semiannual mammograms being recommended to post-lumpectomy

Becky,

Do I remember correctly that you also get a yearly MRI, alternating every six months with the mammo? I was on the same schedule but just saw my surgeon yesterday and he wants to drop the mammo and just do a yearly MRI. He said that MRIs are more accurate and having a mammo too exposes me to unneccesary radiation. This study does not seem to factor MRIs into the mix but I wonder if I should ask him to reconsider.

Jean 05-01-2010 10:31 PM

I alternate every six months between mammo and MRI - have been doing since lumpectomy 2005.

I intend to continue to do. So far my gut instincts have served me well. I feel this way - while mammo is an important tool - by alternating with MRI you have additional opportunity to catch a cancer in the early stage.
For me this program is part of my breast health care program.

A mammo has an average of 70 millirems, roughly the dose you'd receive from your normal everyday environment over a period of 2 1/5 months. Studies have shown no increase risk of cancer among people experiencing as many 1,000 millirems per year of background radiation. Cetainly we don't want to exposure our bodies if we don't need to.
Interesting factor is breast tissue is somewhat unusual, since the rate of cell turnover varies with the amount of estrogen. As a result, the breasts are much less susceptible to radiation among post menopausal women.
Each day we are exposed to small amounts of background radiation. For instance a flight from NY to Chicago will expose you to 39 millirems of radiaiton. So I cut down my flying and use my millirems in my yrly mammo....(just kidding). But we have to make health choices.

Jean

mcgle 05-01-2010 10:39 PM

Here in the UK, you get yearly mammograms up to five years from dx; thereafter it is every two years, and when the magic 10 years is up, it is back to the mobile NHS van!

MRIs are considered very expensive for the bog standard, non-private patient.

Mcgle (UK)

StephN 05-02-2010 11:49 AM

I had the same as Becky. Twice yearly mammos for the first 2 years post lumpectomy, than on to annual.

I did get breast MRI's as part of a trial at the end of 2000 prior to my lumpectomy. Was called Rodeo MRI.

Had a couple MRI's since then to look at some odd places that turned out to be nothing.

The mammos I have been getting for the past few years are "digital."

tricia keegan 05-02-2010 03:49 PM

I get digital mammo's yearly and have done since my diagnosis in '05.

I personally feel I'd welcome a yearly full body scan (without reporting symptoms) as routine but really would'nt want a mammo twice yearly.

A local recurrance would'nt worry me too much but a distant one would!!!

Jean 05-04-2010 06:47 AM

These articles just released -

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/187164.php

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/187173.php

The above articles support the need for alternate checking every 6 months.

jean

StephN 05-04-2010 10:58 AM

And DON'T FORGET your frequent SELF CHECKS as part of that overall surveillance routine.