HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Is this "remission"?? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37744)

hermiracles 01-28-2009 03:38 AM

Is this "remission"??

There seems to be some difference between how terminogy is used in the US and Australia ~ like i dont think people use "NED" a lot here - more often people will say they are "in remission" - I could be wrong here... I have some confusion about the terms myself...!?

The only reason I'm asking is I asked my GP today about my tumour markers It is 29 and apparently it has to be less than 45 to be considered normal - so my tumour markers would be considered normal - which is pretty wonderful eh?

But then he went on to say 'you are in remission'?? This seemed strange to me because on my catscan it still shows some mets there - even though reduced in size and some that have actually disappeared altogether! - but that doesnt equal remission does it?? It obviously cant be NED!... its just I must be a bit confused by the terminology.

What do you folks understand as the differences?

Thanks for your help http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif
Blessings
Hermiracles

schoolteacher 01-28-2009 05:31 AM

Hermiracles,

Great news. I am so happy for you and your family. May many more blessings come your way.

Amelia

Becky 01-28-2009 06:04 AM

Dear Miracle

I am not sure how to answer your question but you are a true miracle and your disease has turned around well in your favor.

Yippee!

AlaskaAngel 01-28-2009 10:56 AM

Terminology

People tend to interpret the term "NED" a bit more loosely. It would be more accurate to say "no evidence of further disease" for those who have had progression at some point and then the progression stops.

"In remission" means "no progression" and applies to both those who have never had any progression after treatment as well as to those who have but for whom further treatment has stopped the progression as best can be determined.

Hope that helps.

AlaskaAngel

Melissa 01-28-2009 11:15 AM

Dear Hermiracles,

Beyond wonderful news. I am so happy for you, your husband and your babies. You are truly a miracle and you have such a beautiful family. May many more blessings come your way.

CourtneyL 01-28-2009 12:14 PM

Hermiracles,

I am so incredibly overjoyed for you and the amazing response you have had to treatment. Keep on staying strong. You are amazing!!

I noticed from your signature that you were diagnosed with brain mets in September 2008 and they were gone by December. That is amazing! I was recently diagnosed with brain mets and am taking Tykerb to see how responsive it is by itself. We will then weigh our options as to whether we should do Gamma or WBR. Any advice? How did you come to decide your treatment course for the brain mets? I want to have an outcome as amazing as yours!

Big hugs from California,

Courtney

Sherryg683 01-28-2009 12:21 PM

One of the oncologist down here explained it as NED..meaning "no evidence of disease"...meaning there is no cancer showing up at all on scans. ( Now we all know there may be some lurking that is too small to detect.) He said that he does not use the term REMISSION..unless the patient has had no disease show up for at least 5 years. If there is cancer still in the system that is not progressing the term "stable" is used. My oncologists chooses to use the term remission for me and that is what I use to describe myself when people ask. Only because that is what most people with little of knowledge of cancer can understand...they wouldn't know what NED meant. I am so glad to hear you are doing so well..sherryg683

Shobha 01-28-2009 01:17 PM

Awesome news! I am overjoyed for you and your family! My prayers that you continue to give us more good news.

AlaskaAngel 01-28-2009 01:22 PM

National Cancer Institute definition of "remission"

http://www.cancer.gov/templates/db_a...px?CdrID=45867

Jean 01-28-2009 04:59 PM

Dear Miracle,
How wonderful to read your news.
Wishing you continued blessing.

Sherry thank you for sharing your info.

Jean

Faith in Him 01-28-2009 05:04 PM

I am so happy for you and your family. This is wonderful news. Thanks for sharing with us.

Alice 01-28-2009 11:32 PM

I think Alaska Angel said it best. I have wondered many times what each of the terms meant and have been given a variety of answers and that also goes for stage, grade and chance of recurrance also. Also most of the people I encounter that ask are clueless as to the fact that they just don't know if it is all gone or not. They make their best guess. I consider myself in remission for 5 years after the end of treatment and after that I would be considered cured. Although that is what my onc said I think I will always be in fear of recurrance. I think they just don't know.

hermiracles 01-29-2009 06:15 AM

Well thanks folks for all your input and congratulations - sometimes I dont know wether to celebrate or not!!?? so its good to come here and get a reality check!!

Reading your story Courtney - it sounds a lot like mine - though 30 sure seems like such a young age sis - I hope you are getting heaps of support - its great that you have joined up here - the folks here are wonderful.

As for my own story with the brain mets - its all still a shock to me. After I got the news that I had brain mets - and was on my way to have WBR _ I was pretty down because I had just received one bad report after the other - nothing seemed to be working - including the Herceptin. So I was taken off the Herceptin and sent for WBR (whole brain radiation) and then started on Xeloda and Tycerb.

In Australia you cant be on Herceptin and Tycerb at the same time anyway.... so I really dont know which of these treatments WBR, Xeloda or Tycerb has bought about such good results?? I am continuing X & T (at reduced doses because of side-effects) and next week I'm having a full week of radiotherapy to my body 'spot welding' http://her2support.org/vbulletin/ima...ons/icon10.gif they call it hopefully to clear up any last remaining spots there!

I hope you get great results too Sis - we all so deserve it!! I do know the feeling of waiting, waiting to get some good news! Hope yours is coming soon.
Blessings all
Hermiracles

Mary Anne in TX 01-29-2009 09:11 AM

It's so marvelous to hear your news! I hope you continue to always be "our miracle"!!!!! ma

hermiracles 01-29-2009 10:38 AM

Oh Ma - you really are such a sweetheart - true! I really hope to stay around and be a miracle too -don't we all eh? We all deserve to be! http://her2support.org/vbulletin/ima...ons/icon10.gif
Blessings
Hermiracles

chrisy 01-29-2009 06:18 PM

Whatever you call it...it's fabulous news!

freyja 01-29-2009 07:38 PM

I agree, whatever it is, it sounds really great.
Celebrate!

Jackie07 01-29-2009 08:01 PM

Such wonderful news! Thanks for sharing - we love 'miracles'.

Sherryg683 01-29-2009 08:51 PM

It can be confusing and I am glad to get the offical meaning of remission..now I can say I am in remission and believe it. The oncologist that gave me his definitions was a pretty pessimistic guy and always pointed out the worst, he was my brothers oncologist. Mine has always been very optimistic. Your babies are so adorable and it is so good to see that you are responding so well...sherryg

Joan M 02-01-2009 09:30 AM

Marilyn,

You are a miracle!

Joan