HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Would appreciate any help or advice (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41622)

tricia keegan 10-28-2009 06:05 PM

Would appreciate any help or advice

Hi everyone,

I had a bone scan that showed one area of suspicion, so they want to do an MRI.

This almost scares me more than the results as I'm claustrophobic.

I'd appreciate any advice or tips to get through this:)

Cal-Gal 10-28-2009 06:13 PM

Re: Would appreciate any help or advice

Hi Tricia-
Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you for a good outcome.

I never had an issue w/MRI's--never understood what this was all about and I am someone who gets claustrophobic---so someone else might be able to shed some light-might have something to do w/the type of machine--I might have had the more 'open' type---

alicem 10-28-2009 06:20 PM

Hi Tricia,

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope the MRI shows that this is nothing.

I have had only one MRI. I just kept my eyes closed, took deep breaths and tried to pretend that I was just going to sleep.

Hope this helps!

Alice

TriciaK 10-28-2009 06:46 PM

Tricia, I do self-hypnosis, but still don't like MRI's. The only thing I ever know to do is to focus on the rhythm of the machine, ignoring the"knocks" as much as possible, and repeat over and over "No. Evidence. Of. Disease.", like a mantra, breathing as slowly and rhythmically as possible with the machine. The "open" MRI's are a little easier than the usual ones. Ask for a sedative and let them know your fears. I was told even grown he-men types get claustophobic and panic, so don't be embarrassed. Tell them to keep talking to you and to let you be able to express you feelings. I think they can take you out if you insist, but I'm not sure because I was told PET scans can't be stopped, so maybe MRI's can't either. I think there are three difficult things: the loud knocking sounds, the length of time, and the feeling of being so enclosed. If you can find anyone who can do hypnosis with you I think that helps more than anything.
I really sympathise and will hold you in my thoughts and prayers. You may find, though, that you amaze yourself by how well you do. Just look at everything else you've conquered! You are a cancer survivors and therefore a warrior!! Hugs, (the other) TriciaK

Sheila 10-28-2009 06:55 PM

Tricia
I know just how you feel...but since MRI's are now a big part of my life, i do the imagery thing...put myself somewhere else, like on a nice sandy beach with a warm wind and palm trees....and a cold Guiness in my hand....I truly have learned to overcome the fear by focusing on somewhere else....and, if that wont work, as long as you have someone to take you home., try an Ativan or some Valium...just skip the guiness!!!

Henny 10-28-2009 07:10 PM

Hi Tricia,
I do bone scans (and PET/CT scans too) for a living and I have seen many scans that just don't give a clear reading. Bone scans aren't specific for cancer-they show increased tracer anywhere the bone is remodeling itself-like from arthritis,stress fractures etc

So for your MRI, if it was me I would get lots of drugs and a driver to get home-just like Shelia said. Sometimes I can talk myself into calmness and sometimes I just get too wound up and that's when I like a little help. Lorazipam is a good one and last time I had a nasty biopsy I tried vallium and that really helped.
My view is that it doesn't make sense to beat yourself up if there is something that can make the whole experience easier.

Good luck

Henny

Patty F 10-28-2009 07:41 PM

Tricia...I have to take an Ativan before an MRI. They help a lot. But you will need a driver.

Chelee 10-28-2009 08:09 PM

Tricia, This is a common problem being claustrophobic. That's the 1st thing they ask you when you go for a MRI. So this isn't anything you should be embarrassed or worried about. In fact they have open MRI's just for people that can't deal with a regular MRI machine. I do think I've heard a regular MRI is more reliable as far as results...but even if you do an open one it will be fine or obviously they wouldn't even have them.

I just did a MRI of femur and pelvis...took two hrs in that machine. I took some xanax and just got comfortable. (Except for my back but thats due to my scoliosis.) They do give you a "blub" to hold in your hand. They tell you if at any time you need something or want out to SQUEEZE the blub and they will instantly ask you what you need and pull you out if necessary. :) They run across this problem all the time...so just call them ahead of time and tell them your concerns and see if they suggest you go to a open MRI instead. Although like the others here said...if you close your eyes and relax its just like taking a nap. I'm not claustrophobic at all and I never opened my eyes because I was resting. They give you ear plugs which work great...you can hardly hear the knocking noise. They can talk to you while your in the MRI machine & hear everything you say...so you aren't diconnected from them at any time. Wishing you the best.

Chelee

Rich66 10-28-2009 08:18 PM

If you don't have to respond to breathing commands, music and some closed headphones might work. I had radial keratotomy (pre laser lasik) on my eyes years ago and the little valium pill MUST have been how I got through it. When I think about an opto-scalpel apparatus being lowerered over my eyes and me being asked to look up, down etc as eyeball pressure was felt..
All I can say is "Yikes! Excellent drugs!".

BonnieR 10-28-2009 08:23 PM

As others have said, I try to go into a sort of meditative state. Zone out.
Some MRI machines have a mirror deal on them too, so you can "see" out the end of the tube and not feel so confined.

I have also certainly taken an Ativan when anticipating something stressful!
Keep the faith.

Lani 10-28-2009 08:26 PM

where was the area that lit up? If it is your leg or pelvis or low back they will probably put you in legs first. If it is your skull, neck or upper spine they would probably put you in head first. The former may seem easier than the
latter if you are claustrophobic--you may be able to see the entrance to the tube which is open so you don't seem so far in. if it is say above your knee, they won't even put you in at all, rather putting a "coil" around your knee.

I once had an MRI done with "virtual reality" where they gave me headphones and weird glasses to watch a TV located outside the MRI past my feet. I watched how to make Thai Chicken Pizza on a PBS station while the scan was done.

If you can, imagine your favorite place and sing to yourself.

Aloha!

SoCalGal 10-29-2009 12:14 AM

How to survive and MRI

#1. Take some ativan.
#2. Tell yourself, just like an actor with anxiety before a performance...you're gonna go out there, and you're gonna come back in. For you, you're gonna go in and then you'll be out before you know it.

It is a tube, but it's not so much a tight space feeling. With an MRI, there is a banging and vibrating noise. I find it very unpleasant. My MRI's are always for my brain. So I have to wear this stupid cage on my head. You won't have that added gear. They also keep a fan on, so it's not stuffy or hot - and they talk to you the whole time. And there is a emergency squeeze ball, so if you are freaking out you can squeeze it and it will shut down the machine. The whole thing will be over in less than an hour. No special diet required.
#3. Take your best friend and she can sit and hold on to your foot. Then you will not feel so alone.

#4. Don't wear any metal and then you won't have to change into a gown.

OK - those are all my best tricks:)
Flori

Mary Anne in TX 10-29-2009 04:01 AM

Hey! I'm sorry you have to fight the MRI dragon, but You will win! I hate the thing too. Close my eyes as I lay down on the table and don't open them again til done. Every part I hate, closeness, noise, being still, etc ...when it starts I tell it I'm in charge today because I'm winning this battle! I always think about the young people (they all seem so young to me) running the machine and how nice they are trying to be. I think about the great information being provided to my onc to help me get better, stay better, etc.
I start at my toes and direct my body to relax. Start with my breathing...."with every breath I take, I relax deeper and deeper." "Toes it's time to take a nap. We're enjoying the sunshine and breezes of this beautiful beach and it's time to relax. Feet.....etc. I go to the tip of my head, one little bit at a time. by the time I get to my chest or so, I'm relaxed and imagining good things.
I just never open my eyes....if I don't open my eyes, I win!
Best wishes for the battle. You will win!
ma

tricia keegan 10-29-2009 04:03 AM

Thank you, thank you all for such wonderful tips and advice which I'll be sure to follow:)

Lani, the area was mid thoraic so half way down my back, I don't feel quite so scared having read your replies and knowing what to expect.

Of course the results are the next worry but I'll deal with that when and if the news is bad. You're all wonderful, and thank you again:)

caya 10-29-2009 06:57 AM

Good luck Tricia - it could be many things... ended up being bursitis in my hips when I had a scan a few years ago (this was before BC).

Keep us posted, I'm betting on the luck of the Irish for you...

all the best
caya

schoolteacher 10-29-2009 09:26 AM

Tricia,

Sorry you have to go through the procedure. I always repeat one phase over and over while I am dong the procedure.

Are they going to do a PET too?

Amelia

tricia keegan 10-29-2009 10:47 AM

I hope so Caya and thanks for your good wishes!

Amelia, thanks for replying and so far the Dr just mentioned the MRI...I'll keep you posted but it's going to take a couple of weeks arranging it so won't have any answers too quickly unfortunatly.

BonnieR 10-29-2009 11:06 AM

Amelia, for a moment I thought that the phrase you repeated over and over was "Are they going to do a PET, too?"

Whatever works! lol

Nancy L 10-29-2009 01:07 PM

Claustrophobia was a big issue for me but Valium has been the trick to get through this test. They give me 5 mg when I arrive. Good luck--I hope you get a clean report.

tricia keegan 10-29-2009 02:22 PM

Thank you Nancy!

Bonnie lol, thanks for the laugh...maybe if I remember this and try it it may make me smile rather than cringe:)