HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Looking forward to treatment #2 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38297)

Westcoastgirl 03-06-2009 06:18 PM

Looking forward to treatment #2

Looking forward to treatment #2, well that is not true but I really want to get on with it now. Thank you for all your support and yes, I am aware of the fact that I need to come here and communicate. It helps to read and write here. It is easy once started into the chemo to become a hermit, I think. After the initial bad reaction the first day I just felt better and better. I had such a good appetite at one point that I thought, "Oh no, I am going to gain weight on chemo!" Golly, lose my breasts, lose my hair.....gain 20lbs....now that would be just plain nasty. Shaved my head in prep as I would like to feel in charge of one thing. I keep forgetting I have done it, think I have my hair up in a ponytail. I ran out so as to not miss the garbage man the other day and he kept staring at me and acting shy. I wondered if he had never seen a woman in a housecoat before but then realized he was very uncomfortable with my baldness....sigh. I go this Monday to be assessed as to whether or not I need radiation and after a 3 hour appt I think I will agree to anything they suggest, yikes! I have read on here about the different treatments and wonder if A/C followed by T/Herceptin, then just Herceptin is still a much used treatment in the US or are we archaic in Canada? Thanks again for all your well wishes and support. Carolyn

WomanofSteel 03-06-2009 09:36 PM

I've forgotten and ran out with a bald head or answered the door. I think it bothers them more than us. Kinda funny to me. Hang in there. I get called sir all the time. Doesn't bother me. You will be fine.

TerriC 03-07-2009 06:24 AM

Hi Carolyn,
I forgot to put on my wig a couple of times! Took me a minute to figure out why I got the funny looks too. I had A/C x 6 every 2 weeks, Taxotere x12 weekly and Herceptin weekly for a year. I just finished Herceptin 2/17/09 so it is still a standard treatment here in Michigan too. Take care.

MJo 03-07-2009 10:11 AM

It was amazing for me to read these posts because treatment for me is a distant memory. Didn't think that would be possible, but it's true for me. So that's the best thing I can say to you...take good care of yourself while you're being treated, and the baldness, the nausea, the feeling of having chronic flu (those were some of my side effects) all pass.

Sheila 03-07-2009 02:25 PM

Carolyn
You are a trooper...already you are joking....your next treatment puts you one step closer to being complete with all of this....take each day and smile, you are stronger than you thing! Love your attitude!!!

Bill 03-07-2009 03:18 PM

You go, girl! That's the fightin' spirit that'll get you through this. Thanks for keeping in touch.

chrisy 03-08-2009 01:23 PM

Good girl!

To answer your question, AC--TH--H is still a very typical adjuvant chemo regimen. There is starting to be some data looking at if some patients do not benefit from/need Adriamycin, but it is still standard of care here in the US.