HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Friend recently diagnosed with recurrence (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66646)

Nurse4u2day 11-19-2017 03:40 PM

Friend recently diagnosed with recurrence

Hello everyone . It's been awhile but I still check up on everyone . The reason I'm here today is not for myself as I'm doing well, still NED . I'm inquiring regarding a friend. She was just diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time. It's in two nodes same side as last. Don't know much other then that yet. My question is last time at her diagnosis she was Er/pr + her2- ,1 node positive. Her only treatment was mastectomy with node removal. So this time around will she need chemo if this is a recurrence vs a new breast cancer? I imagine no matter what she will need radiation. Her pet scan is pending. I'm just so angry as I thought for sure she should have had radiation the last time but nope. I get she didn't need chemo as her oncotype said it would not benefit her but no radiation?... Also she was on tamoxifen.
Thank you

Carol Ann 11-21-2017 09:38 PM

Re: Friend recently diagnosed with recurrence

I am so sorry about your friend. I was told I didn't need radiation because I had the mastectomies AND my nodes were clear. If any had been positive, I would've had the radiation. So yes ... I agree with you, I am surprised she didn't have radiation the first time around.

Once the tumor in my "healthy" breast was found and it was HER2+++ ... so much for no chemo, either! The onc told me he had been anticipating a low oncotype score on the first tumor, and given clear nodes etc he was just going to put me on Arimidex.

That all changed when the surprise HER2+++ tumor showed up.

Maybe because it was only 1 positive node in her case? In any case, it sucks that its back. I would think she'd definitely have radiation this time and chemo too. UGH Praying her pet scan comes back normal!!!

I am glad to hear you're doing well!

Carol Ann

tricia keegan 11-22-2017 06:44 AM

I'm sorry about your friend, when I was dx twelve years ago it was felt chemo was a must with even one positive node. That could have changed over the years of course but I'd still want chemo if the cancer had traveled to a node. It's possible if your friend had had more treatment the first time she wouldn't be facing this now. Wishing her well and advise her to always get a second opinion.

Nurse4u2day 11-22-2017 09:03 AM

Thank you Carol and Tricia. My friend is having her scan today so then we will know what she is up against soon. I so wish she would get a new oncologist. I personally have no faith in the oncologist. I spoke with my oncologist on Monday about this situation ( she saw my friend and told her she should have chemo and radiation back 2 years ago ) and she said it's not the norm to even do an oncotype in someone who has a positive node especially with it being a macro node at that time. That and when it comes to oncotypes she feels they can be a bit misleading especially when done with a node positive patient . Anyway my friends choice to seek out an oncologist that told her what she wanted to hear is done and had she gone the route I did we will never know if she would be facing this battle again. So now we wait. I have not spoken to my friend since Saturday as she has not returned any calls or text . She is known to shut down at times ( 27 year friendship ) and she knew I had my check up on Monday but maybe doesn't want to hear about it as she is going through her stuff. So I just sit patiently and wait for her to come around. Because I must remember this is now about her and not me. I do however keep in touch with her hubby and he tells me when a new test is coming up. Mainly because he knows I've been there. His wife is also aware that we talk.
Again thank you ladies . Fyi Nov 19th has been 4 years since my diagnosis and all looks well. Next pet/Ct scan March 2018