HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What could this be? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47861)

Delaney 12-07-2010 04:00 PM

What could this be?

For the last 4 days when I lie down I feel woozy and as if I am going to faint, when I lift my head off the pillow I feel as if I will lose my balance. Could this be brain mets? I did a search of symptons but didnt find this one. I see my oncologist on Friday and will mention it. Am on tyverb with xeloda and herceptin and seem to be tolerating it well. Feel as if I am never going to catch a break from this disease.

ElaineM 12-07-2010 05:26 PM

Re: What could this be?

Ask your doctor for a complete check up with tests and for some help in dealing with the problems until a diagnosis can be made. Good luck. Take care.

Gerri 12-07-2010 06:57 PM

Delaney,

I have had vertigo a few times; your symptoms sound very similar to mine. Does the room seem to spin even with your eyes closed? If it is vertigo it is easily solved with some positional exercises. Here is a link that describes vertigo http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/dizzin...topic-overview. It is always a good idea to mention unusual symptoms to your doctor.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Chelee 12-08-2010 04:00 AM

Delaney,
I know once we are dx with this nasty disease it seems it's always something. My heart goes out to you. Gerri is right that it can be vertigo...I've had that problem too especially when laying down...and getting back up. But that being said you really need to make sure you tell your onc about this just to be sure. In our so called "new normal" everything has to be checked out unfortunetly. Since you see your onc Friday you could always put a call into his office ahead of time to let him know what your experiencing in case he wants to order any tests? You don't need the added stress of waiting longer then you have too. I know its hard but try to hang in there. This problem your having could be a SE from your meds, vertigo as we mentioned...lots of things. But do tell you onc about it. Let us know how it goes.

Chelee

BonnieR 12-08-2010 11:54 AM

It could be alot of things that do not involve cancer. We are still elegible for other annoying ailments. Although it does not seem fair!
I have had vertigo often over the years and your description sounds like it could be that. Or as others said, side effects from meds.
Just remember, it isn't anything until you learn more.
Keep the faith.

Delaney 12-08-2010 03:47 PM

Thank you all for replying, am soooooooo hoping its vertigo.

CourtneyL 12-08-2010 04:52 PM

Hi Delaney - I hope that it is nothing but I would ask your oncologist for a brain MRI as soon as possible. It is probably not brain mets, but if it is and they are caught early, they are 100% treatable. I have now had 18 brain mets and I have never really had any symptoms at all. The other ladies are right, there are a ton of other non-cancer explanations for what you are experiencing. But just to be on the safe side, I think they should rule out brain mets.

Trish 12-09-2010 12:12 AM

I'm hoping it is vertigo too. Glad you are seeing the doctor so soon to settle the matter. Look forward to hearing the news.
Trish

Delaney 12-10-2010 03:50 PM

Thank you so much Elaine, Gerri, Courtney, Chelee, Bonnie and Trish. I saw the oncologist today, she is almost certain that it is vertigo!! She says I may have picked up a virus. She said my symptons did not suggest anything sinister (i.e. brain mets). I am on medication for a week (Serc) and if it does not clear up she will order an MRI. I am so relieved tonight, when I was in the waiting room I had myself written off. Thank you all so much for keeping me sane. Courtney, I dont know where you get your courage, you have been through so much, and you always chip in to help. Very best wishes to you all and giant hugs of gratitude.

Chelee 12-10-2010 09:31 PM

Delaney,
I'm glad you got some medication to clear things up for you. Vertigo is annoying if nothing else. I'm sure your relieved..thanks for updating us. The meds should do that trick just in time to enjoy the holidays.

Chelee

Trish 12-11-2010 06:38 AM

I've never been so glad to hear someone probably has a virus! Thanks for letting us know. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Trish

Sheila 12-16-2010 06:10 AM

Trish, I have had the same thing more than once...had an emergency brain MRI 2x....the diagnosis was positional vertigo...I took medication, Antivert for about a week and it was gone....had it one other time and the meds worked....I was also thinking maybe get a blood count, anemia can also cause dizziness....get the brain MRI regardless....it doesnt hurt and will put your fears at rest!
Hoping the drugs work...I hate being dizzy!

hutchibk 12-16-2010 03:15 PM

I had the same thing happen a two years ago exactly! Had an MRI, and nothing. Went to the ENT doc, and he said it wasn't vertigo, but that he figured it was a middle ear problem caused by a virus/sinus infection... antibiotics cleared it up in about 5-7 days, but I stayed on them for 2 weeks.

Delaney 12-17-2010 01:52 PM

Thanks Brenda, I am on antibiotics along with the Serc for vertigo as I had an infection (under big toe nail- yuk) so maybe both will get rid of this vertigo quickly. Sheila is right - its horrible being dizzy. I really have enough to deal with, dont we all!