HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Avastin & Xoloda (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35246)

dede10 08-23-2008 08:28 AM

Avastin & Xoloda

Starting these 2 drugs on Tuesday. Has anyone else had them together? Will I lose my hair, again? (although you would think I would get used to it)

Believe51 08-23-2008 08:40 AM

Dede

I don't think anyone could ever get used to that. The important thing Dear, is that we will be here for you as you embark on this new combination of chemo. I will be watching for updates and praying in between. Best luck Tuesday, you shall be in my thoughts>>Believe51

Ceesun 08-23-2008 09:51 AM

Dede, Have been on xeloda for about 18 months and the worst side effect for me is stomach issues some weeks and fatigue. No hair loss problem....not sure about the other drug. Best wishes, Ceesun

hutchibk 08-23-2008 10:48 AM

On Xeloda - no consumption of any grapefruit products and no vitamins with folic acid (this includes folic by itself, many multi vits, and most B complex vits).

You should do well! I have been on Xeloda for 18 months as well and it is a pretty easy drug (by comparison...). Don't know anything about Avastin.

Good luck!

Sheila 08-23-2008 11:28 AM

DeDe
I would think no hair loss...i have been on both but at different times....like Brenda said, the Xeloda was easy for me...some buring with the feet and hands, avoid extreme temps with water....and the Avastin was easy except I had to go off due to elevated Blood Pressure....I even went on meds and that didn't control the B/P enough....oh, and carry the kleenex...I had some frequent nosebleeds with Avastin...nothing severe, just frequent..

Diana1993 08-23-2008 03:03 PM

Brenda,
Can you explain why no grapefruit and and folic acid with Xeloda? I have been on it since Jan.08 and I have hand/foot syndrome. I've cut back on my dose, and now take it one week on, and one week off but still have sore hands and feet but at almost bearable stage 2. I've tried nicotine patches to shrink the capiliaries, and cut back on coffee, but nothing seems to work. If you or anyone can enlighten me, please........
Thanks,
Diana

hutchibk 08-23-2008 11:00 PM

Diana - chemicals in grapefruit interfere with the enzymes that break down (metabolize) certain drugs in your digestive system. This can result in excessively high levels of these drugs in your blood and an increased risk of serious side effects. The exact chemicals in grapefruit juice that cause this interaction aren't known. But these chemicals are present in the pulp and peel of grapefruit as well as in the juice. For this reason, any grapefruit product — including dietary supplements that contain grapefruit bioflavonoids — can interact with certain medications. If you avoid grapefruit, you may also want to avoid tangelos, a hybrid grapefruit, and Seville oranges, a type of bitter orange often used to make marmalade and compotes. They may have a similar effect.

Folic acid can have the same effect as well with Xeloda, it can really worsen the side effects.

Roche includes these warnings in their patient pamphlet info about Xeloda...

If you have been consuming grapefruit or folic acid (in vitamin supplements, don't worry too much about folic acid from dietary sources), then that might be contributing to your more severe side effects...

SoCalGal 08-23-2008 11:44 PM

Hi Dede-
I've been on xeloda and am now on Avastin. Xeloda had mostly stomach (diarrhea) issues and the whole hand/foot deal. Avastin has not bothered me at all - and I'm the type who either gets it all or notices the smallest discomfort. I know with Avastin you have to be careful about things that cause bleeding - like no advil. I have not had a full bloody nose but do have yucky stuff when I blow my nose (sorry to be so gross). I am never without tissues because I've been warned that you can get nosebleeds. I've been on the avastin about 3 months and so far no probs AND it seems to be working. There are some supplements for neuropathy but I can't seem to remember which they are. I'm thinking L-Arginine. Maybe someone less senile will comment on that. Oh - no hair loss on those!

turbo 01-04-2009 01:54 PM

xeloda dose

starting xeloda and wondering what the lowest dose that is reccommended to avoid HFS is?

turbo 01-04-2009 01:55 PM

what dose of xeloda were you on...hoping to avoid HFS due to walking being part of my work!

Rich66 01-04-2009 02:04 PM

Try this:
http://xelodasideeffects.blogspot.com/