HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The Good Kind (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51209)

MJo 09-02-2011 07:57 AM

The Good Kind

Here's how much things have changed. I spoke with a woman who's mother has just been diagnosed. She told me that her mother has "the good kind" of breast cancer, because it's Her2+ and there are targeted drugws to treat it. She may be reading this because I directed her to this site. I am amazed that some doctors are encouraging patients by calling Her2 the "good kind of cancer to have."

No cancer is good, but it's a fact of life. And I'm grateful that I got diagnosed early, right after Herceptin came on the market. Her2 was a terrifying cancer to have back in the day. Now thanks to Herceptin and Tykerb, it's very treatable. Amazing.

snolan 09-02-2011 10:14 AM

Re: The Good Kind

Thats crazy, I was first diagnosed with DCIS, I was told that was the good one to have. HER2 not so good, but treatable. I guess it all depends on your point of view. What is good about HER2 is that it has a specific group of meds to treat it, something other cancers don't.

Kind of like is the glass half full or half empty.

tricia keegan 09-03-2011 04:19 PM

With many new drugs coming online for us I'm now seeing my her2 pos dx as good news too!:)

suzan w 09-09-2011 12:58 PM

Yes, I agree, it is amazing! When I was diagnosed I was told Her2+ cancers had a very poor prognosis. All I can say is thanks to all the hard work, struggles and faith that cancer does not have to be a death sentence. Hooray for Herceptin.

Trish 09-09-2011 10:37 PM

What magic words. Thanks for sharing them.
Trish

Jean 09-10-2011 03:15 PM

I have always thought that timing is vital. We still must always remain dilagent to our health.

When I was waiting for my pathology report after my lumpectomy - I had heard a news report on Herceptin the miracle drug for Her2 breast cancer. I clearly remember thinking, "I hope my cancer is Her2"
this way I can have hercpetin. Being a novice to the entire knowledge of breast cancer that there was different subtypes, KI 67 levels, ER- or ER +, Pr - or Pr+, etc. and that Hercpetin was given only to stage 4 patients...(at the time 05 ) I didn't even realize that a stage 4 patient was permitted to have hercpetin. So imagine my horror being dx. as Her2 and I cannot have hercpetin. I was screaming why not? What is the difference if stage 1 or stage 4...her2 is her2 .... So the battle for me began not only to fight the disease but the establishment for treatment.

Yes, Her2 has changed in the last 6 to 7 years. Now early stage women are allowed to have the proper treatment one does NOT have to be Stage 4 to have herceptin.

Now - let's get this disease down to NO ONE needing
hercpetin....and PS there is no good breast cancer.
God Bless All,
Jean

DonnaD 09-11-2011 02:06 PM

Times have changed. Finally the stats are catching up with those of us with early stage breast cancer that received Herceptin.

I remember my onc saying I couldn't have gotten cancer at a better time being Her2+. Herceptin is our miracle drug. I am so thankful for the research that went into getting Herceptin on the market.

Just celebrated my 5 year canceriversay Aug 31st. I am living proof!

Also thank you Christine and Joe (I know you can hear me up there Joe) for this support group. I have learned so much from my sisters here and gained so much support and encouragement. I am blessed.

Pray 09-11-2011 09:24 PM

Thats awsome Donna! Gods blessings to you and your family!

chicagoetc 09-12-2011 06:51 PM

Go Donna!

You and I are two of the lucky/fortunate women/persons to have been diagnosed shortly after Herceptin was approved for earlier staged cancer. [I'm just one year behind you!]

Melanie