HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Serum HER-2 - Do You or Don't You? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62127)

MargaretAlice 11-07-2014 01:56 PM

Serum HER-2 - Do You or Don't You?

New to the group. Background is Chemistry/Biochemistry. Looking for markers to follow. What has been your experience with Serum HER-2?

Thanks for sharing!!! Maggie

Carol Ann 11-08-2014 08:28 PM

Re: Serum HER-2 - Do You or Don't You?

I will jump in here and be honest -- I have no idea what you are asking! I am getting my last Herceptin infusion Nov 17. No one has ever discussed "serum levels" with me about it.

Carol Ann

MargaretAlice 11-08-2014 08:46 PM

Thanks... Trying to learn. Have followed a Colon cancer blog at CSN... excellent discussion of what next and being a personal advocate... Joined here ... where are this site members now (2014) on serum monitoring???

Carol Ann 11-08-2014 08:57 PM

Are you a HER2+ breast cancer patient?

Carol Ann

MargaretAlice 11-08-2014 09:02 PM

yes... wish not

Carol Ann 11-08-2014 09:03 PM

If you go up to the Search button, you can click and then type serum monitoring in ... it pulls up some threads. Hope this helps.

Carol Ann

Carol Ann 11-08-2014 09:09 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that, I know its the club no one wants to join ... you may also want to type in your treatment details so others with similar treatments, etc can chime in. Welcome! This is a super supportive group.

Carol Ann

Carol Ann 11-08-2014 09:11 PM

You mean for your signature details? You're free to type in whatever info you want to share.

CA

'lizbeth 11-09-2014 11:48 AM

Serum Her2 did not catch on as testing. It is not included in Standard of Care NCCN guidelines.

Some of the ladies on the board used it in the past. They had more advanced cancers and the serum Her2 number was of value in their care. . .

I believe a retired doctor took over the company and tried to stir up interest on our board.

Lauriesh 11-09-2014 02:37 PM

I have had it run a few times over the last few years.
Mine jumped around from 7-11. I have been Ned for almost 4 years, so it is hard to say if it is accurate. I wish I would have asked to have it run when I was first diagnosed with liver mets to see if the number would have been out of the normal range.
I think it is only reccomended for use in stage 4, not in early stage.

Laurie

StephN 11-10-2014 03:45 PM

I was away from my computer or would have replied.

Laurie is correct. Her2 Elisa serum test has been for use in advanced stage monitoring. I have had this blood test as part of my monitoring toolbox for several years. I now have it run only 2 times per year, and my insurance still pays for it.

My numbers stay in the midrange and are steady. I have been off Herceptin now almost 6 years, which was never supposed to happen for someone in a stage IV remission. I only have a CT scan once a year and use the blood markers as a possible tipoff that something maybe activating during the rest of the year.

MargaretAlice 11-12-2014 04:31 AM

Thanks for sharing. I am going to do a baseline. Good to know that it is utilized by some of you.

Kim in CA 11-15-2014 12:08 PM

I am no longer receiving this test, but sure wish I was.

When I switched health plans, my new oncologist at Kaiser said they don't use the Her2 Serum test. We are monitoring my disease using only the CA15-3, which is currently running at the high end of normal, to just above normal.

When we were using both the Her2 Serum and the CA15-3, the Her2 Serum was the first marker to rise when I had my recurrence in 2012, during my Herceptin vacation.

My tumor markers have always been a reliable indicator for me, and since I try to avoid scans as much as possible, they are my only warning system. That along with just trying to stay in tune with my body as much as possible.

Kim

MargaretAlice 11-15-2014 03:48 PM

Thanks Kim... very helpful to know that it has value..

'lizbeth 11-16-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Her2 Serum levels: The extracellular domain of the HER2 protein can be cleaved from the surface by metalloproteases and detected in peripheral blood and measured by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay. In GeparQuattro and GeparQuinto trials a positive association between higher sHer2 levels and a higher pCR was shown. [Witzel et al 2010, 2012]. A fall of serum Her2 levels of 20% during neoadjuvant therapy was a predictor of pCR only in the group treated with Lapitinab [Witzel et al 2012].
Just read this and thought it might lead you to more info on serum Her2.