HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Quick question re: Neulesta (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29860)

BonnieR 09-05-2007 06:41 AM

Quick question re: Neulesta

When do you recieve your injection, those of you receiving Neulesta? Yesterday, at my 3rd round of TCH, they determined I needed to receive it for the first time. They planned on giving the injection immediatly following the chemo.But I had literature with me (good patient advocate for myself!) and it said to not administer it until 24 hours AFTER chemo. So I said I preferred to not receive it then and will go back in today. I live very close.

Also I see it causes bone pain which is the last thing I need. That is already my worst symptom from the chemo itself...
Ah well......

Colleen007 09-05-2007 07:17 AM

It should be given 24 hours afterwards (give or take). I have a nurse who lives next door who would come over and give me the shots, and my onc said it didn't have to be exactly 24 hours afterwards.

I had bone pain when I was getting the Neulasta with Taxol...pain is hardly noticiable when I now get it after Navelbine.

Good luck.

DonnaD 09-05-2007 07:20 AM

Hi Bonnie,
Good for you about being a knowledgeable patient! I also had to have Nuelasta after my 3rd A/C and 3 rounds of Taxol. My husband would give me the shot the day after chemo. I experienced very little bone pain and it was the day after the shot and lasted about a day.

You are doing great Bonnie.
Donna

ita 09-05-2007 07:21 AM

Hi Bonnie,

I always received the shot the day after chemo. It did cause me aches. After my last chemo session I asked to not get the shot and the nurses were adamant that it would be administered. I am not going to kid you, I hated that shot. But the aches did subside the following day.

Hope this helps,
Ita

BonnieR 09-05-2007 07:26 AM

Thanks for the prompt replies. It sounds as though, despite the aches, it allowed you to not interrupt the chemo so that is good.
I can't imagine being more achy that I already become after chemo. But I guess I will be finding out later today!!!
This is not for sissies!!!
Keep the faith,
Bonnie

tousled1 09-05-2007 09:10 AM

I received the Neulasta shots the day after chemo. I had the bone/joint pain but it was better than developing an infection or having to postpone/delay chemo.

BonnieR 09-05-2007 09:42 AM

You got that right, Tousled. All the side effects and inconviences are worthwhile, considering the alternatives.....
Keep the faith everyone....
Bonnie

Mary Anne in TX 09-05-2007 09:49 AM

I got my neulasta the day of chemo. I live 3 1/2 hours away; so that was probably the determining factor. Lots of others at the center got them the next day! But it worked for me to do it all the same day!

BonnieR 09-05-2007 09:54 AM

Mary Anne, that is what I was told too. That some of the patients travel great distance for chemo, thus get the Nulesta same day . I happen to live close enough that I could WALK to the cancer center. If only I was not so fatigued and it was not 112 degrees and HUMID!!!!
But I am fortunate and grateful to have it so close.

Jean 09-05-2007 12:15 PM

Good for you....

Bonnie,
I had my shot the day after and as a matter of fact they were rather strong on not making my injection appt. before the 24 hrs.

I also took Alieve which helped with the joint pain...and warm soothing
baths...hang in - it gets better...also congrats on your halfway mark,
your around around the bend for the home stretch.

hugs
Jean
PS Just think Sand....

Chelee 09-05-2007 01:09 PM

My very first round of TCH my wbc count took a dive. They did my labs wkly & the 3rd week my ANC count was in the dirt. But *some how* my onc *missed* that & did NOT give me m neulasta. He calls me later that day & says "Whatever you do...don't go anywhere". (Too late...I went to Denny's that day for a late breakfast".)

So I landed in the hospital for 10 days on a wide spectrum of antibiotics and a heart moniter. CT's of my chest daily. It was nightmare. So its a good thing you are paying attention because sometimes these doctors just over look things and it can cost you. I'm glad your on top of things.

As for me...after that nightmare I always got my neulasta shot the *next* day. I did have bone pain really bad once. For some reason the other times it didn't bother me? So don't worry to much...it might affect you at all. I've talked to lots of women that didn't have the bone pain. Good luck.

Chelee

BonnieR 09-05-2007 02:27 PM

Wow Chelee, that is a cautionary tale indeed!! I will be sure to get that shot today!!
So no one had any of the allergic reactions that they say are possible from the Nuelesta??? I always worry about that. ....

hutchibk 09-05-2007 03:37 PM

I usually got mine one 2 days after chemo...

sassy 09-05-2007 07:42 PM

I got mine two days after chemo too.
________
Laguna Heights Condos Pattaya

Mary Jo 09-06-2007 05:30 AM

Hi Bonnie,

I, too, received my Neulasta shot the following day and yes, I did experience bone pain. Especially in the shoulder area. BUT, it helped me I'm sure. Never experienced low blood counts and was able to keep my chemo on schedule the whole time.

Good luck to you,

Mary Jo

nitewind 09-06-2007 06:20 AM

I received my Neulasta shots 24 hours after my chemo treatments. I was required to do this with every treatment of ac. On one particular occcasion, they were closing the office on Friday (the day for my neulasta shot), they had some nurses come in in the morning just to give the shots. I did have some aches but not until a couple of days later. Good for you for being your on advocate!
Hugs

SusieQ 09-06-2007 10:55 AM

I received a Neulasta Injection "the day after" each of my six sessions of TCH -- whether my bloodwork results indicated that I needed it or not. I encountered major bone aches that I controlled with Extra Strength Tylenol and on occasion, Celebrex.

As a side note, I received an Aranesp Injection on the day of TCH, only if my HGB level was low.

SuePer 09-24-2007 08:36 PM

I found out today that this injection costs 6,000 per shot, holly crap, I have to have 7 sessions of chemo so that is 42,000 in Neulasta. Pharmacare will be contacting my insurance to see how much they will cover. Has any one else had trouble with getting this drug covered???

Sue

BonnieR 09-24-2007 09:15 PM

SuePer, I don't exactly know the cost of the injection, nor do I want to unless it gets denied! (I have noticed that my hospital has accepted less $ in payment from the insurance company than they charge initially for various proceedures in the past), But I did not receive Nulesta every time I got chemo. Just on the most recent (third) round because my white count was low. They will draw blood prior to your treatment. If if is TOO low, chemo could be delayed. OR, if you dont get the Nulesta to boost the count, you could end up ill due to a compromised immune system and that would be a different additional expense and worry. So it is always a balancing act.

Mary Jo 09-25-2007 03:59 AM

Good Morning,

My Neulasta shot cost 3500.00. I received this shot every other week for a total of 8 injections. Thankfully, our insurance paid the entire amount.

Thank God for insurance,

Mary Jo