HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   recurrence in liver (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44721)

jhandley 04-18-2010 02:52 AM

recurrence in liver

Hi everyone
Well my herceptin holiday is over. I have recurred to the liver and have some fluid on my left lung as well.
Back on treatment over the next 2 days. Mammo was clear but still seeing breast surgeon as breast has definitely changed.

Jackie
down under

Ellie F 04-18-2010 03:09 AM

Re: recurrence in liver

Oh Jackie, I don't know what to say.I am so sorry this has happened to you.
What's the plan now? Does your onc think that going back on hercetin will do the trick or will he add some chemo??I assume you will be pushing your breast surgeon to do more tests such as ultrasound or a biopsy?
Herceptin has been your magic bullet for so long that I feel optimistic it will get you back to NED.

Ellie

chrislmelb 04-18-2010 03:53 AM

Jackie, you must be so upset and i am so disappointed for you. I know you will be back on track with some time and treatment.

Pam P 04-18-2010 04:50 AM

Hard to get that news, but adding some power drug to the herceptin should put you back to NED. Hopefully soon you can return to just herceptin again.

Midwest Alice 04-18-2010 10:16 AM

I'm so sorry Jackie, glad to hear you are goinng back to Herceptin. I am also sorry cause I can't remember your history so I have to ask. How long were you on H and did you reach NED on it? Also how long were you off Herceptin till recurrence? Sounds like Herceptin worked for you in the past and it will work again.

Hugs, ALice

StephN 04-18-2010 11:32 AM

Naturally bummed to hear this news. All was going well for you for the past few years on Herceptin since you had your complete response in 2005 or so?

I know you will have this under control in just a short while. The odds are that one of us who dared to go off our "security blanket" drug would fall off the NED wagon. Sorry it is you this time.

Keep the faith in our new treatments.

tricia keegan 04-18-2010 01:52 PM

Sorry to see your bad news Jackie, I hope your new regime will show improvement and get you back NED again asap!!!

Chelee 04-18-2010 02:05 PM

Jackie,
I am so sorry you have to deal with this again--I know it's not easy by any means. Once you step on it with some chemo & Herceptin I believe you will get back to being NED. You hang in there...I truly know how difficult a time this is for you. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that you beat this back and quickly.

Chelee

Rich66 04-18-2010 02:36 PM

I don't know how long it's been since your last scans. Might be worth discussing extent of progression and whether it may have begun while on Herceptin. Maybe not crazy to consider Tykerb with or without Herceptin. You might consider re-biopsy/retesting for Her2 and ER...even chemosensitivity testing.

Ceesun 04-18-2010 06:04 PM

Jackie, Please know that I am pulling for you and hope whatever treatment option is next, it brings improvement...and NED!! Ceesun

Sherryg683 04-18-2010 06:06 PM

I am so sorry to hear this, I am praying that you find a combo soon and get you back to NED...sherry

Shobha 04-18-2010 08:47 PM

Very sorry to hear this, Jackie. Adding my prayers for returning to NED status soon.

hugs,
shobha

dawn 04-19-2010 05:52 AM

Jackie

sorry to hear the news. I've just been dx with 6 liver mets and am
at the hospital now getting my 3rd aredia and herceptin inf

going to begin my 3rd round of xeloda also, no se s so far.

Doing my scans the end of may so hopefully this is working
but as I said se s are minimal.

Here's to NED for you and me

Dawn

Joan M 04-19-2010 04:46 PM

Jackie,

Sorry to hear that you've had a liver recurrence. I'm not sure of your history, but is it possible to have a radiofrequency ablation of your liver met?

RFAs are done frequently in the liver for primary liver cancer but also for mets to the liver. Most oncs don't mention the procedure but women on this site have had them as well as cryoablations, which is freezing the tumor rather than burning it with radio waves (not the same as radiation).

Sometimes a local treatment along with Herceptin is effective.

Joan

Sheila 04-20-2010 05:29 AM

Jackie
Sorry to hear of this setback, but know that we are here for you and you jump back in the ring to fight this beast...
Sending you strength and prayers

Ellie F 04-21-2010 09:21 AM

Hi Jackie
How are you? Have you started treatment yet? Let us know as we're thinking of you.
Hugs
Ellie

jhandley 04-23-2010 01:08 AM

Hi all
Had abranxae and herceptin yesterday. Think its working already!
Jackie (down under)

Ellie F 04-23-2010 01:38 AM

Hi Jackie
Hope it is! Thinking of you. Lori had a good response to abraxane for her liver so fingers x you will soon be NED again

Ellie

lexigirl 04-23-2010 07:37 AM

My hopes are that your new tx is going to kick that nasty ca to the curb! You'll be back to NED in no time!

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

Lori R 04-23-2010 04:46 PM

Jackie,
I can't believe I missed your earlier post. I am so sorry to hear the frustrating news.

But....I've been the Abraxane / Cryosurgery cheerleader. I had very few side effects with Abraxane and really hardly knew I was on treatment. So...I am hoping that you can breeze through this treatment and be done with the BC. As my signature indicates, I hit the tumor with cryoablation first and then had the chemo as a safety net.

Here is to many more years of NED, it is just around the corner. Please keep us posted.

Thinking of you....Lori