HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   A conversation on 'Gambaru' (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49261)

Jackie07 03-16-2011 06:34 PM

A conversation on 'Gambaru'

Below is the e-mail exchange between me and Andi BB (Andrea Barnett Bodin) today. For those of you who did not know Andi, please check out her postings on the Board. A BC survivor for over 16 years, she's always enthusiastic and full of positive thoughts/words/wisdom:

Andi,

So good to hear from you.

Based on its Chinese root words '頑張', the term implies 'stubbornly enthusiastic':
"All about the Japanese word "Gambaru" (do your best)

One word that comes up in anime a lot is gambaru (gahn-BAH-roo, alternately written ganbaru, in Japanese 頑張る), a happy, cheerful term which means to do one's best, to work hard, to give one's all and so on. It's usually heard in its formal form gambarimasu (gahn-bah-ri-mass, "[I will] do my best!"), or else as a request, e.g. gambatte or gambatte kudasai (gahn-BAH-tay koo-da-sai, "please try hard!"), or alternatively in its "command" form, gambare! (gahn-BAH-ray, "Do your best!"). If you want to learn some phrases to surprise Japanese people with, these are good places to start, since everyone will react positively to them. In a country that embraces hard work and diligence as much as Japan, it's not surprising that this term is used on an almost daily basis in many different situations. Japanese salarymen are expected to gambaru at work, while their kids gambaru in their studies at school, and the sick must do the same while they work to get over their illness. As long as a person is giving his all, he's got the seal of approval from Japanese society in general."

-----------------------

Subject: GAMBARU -- Japanese -- something I discovered today

Gambaru is a Japanese word

signifying -- NEVER EVER GIVE UP, EVEN AND ESPECIALLY THERE IS NO CHANCE OF WINNING!

I love this word.

Occupy a place in your mind's eye that resolutely will not quit, that demands victory in your chosen endeavor. See it in vivid detail. Create it with every fiber of your being. Claim it. Focus all your energy on winning despite all odds.

Please keep up your hard work until your goal is achieved.

HANG TOUGH, HOLD ON TO YOUR DREAM.

Andi

ElaineM 03-16-2011 08:52 PM

Re: A conversation on 'Gambaru'

Minnasan Ganbatte Kudasai !!!!!! Issho ken mae !!!!!!
Everyone please try your best !!!!! Give it all you have !!!!!! Never give up !!!!!!!!!
Please remember that her2 support board members and visitors !!!!!!!!
That is what I would also tell my friends in Fukushima and Sendai Japan if I could find them after the disasters. Meanwhile I am praying for them.

StephN 03-21-2011 11:06 AM

Re: A conversation on 'Gambaru'

Thanks for sharing, Jackie.

THAT's the spirit. I can't even begin to imagine wading through all that death and destruction left behind by the tsunami!

But then, there are many people who cannot imagine making their way through a breast cancer diagnosis. I think the Japanese have it worse!