HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anyone switch from Arimidex to tamoxifen? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66538)

deevee903 10-08-2017 01:35 PM

Anyone switch from Arimidex to tamoxifen?

I just about cant stand another minute on Arimidex!

The knee pain is horrible. I feel like I'm 100 years old. I have pain in my lower back too, but the knees are the worst.
Moving helps and hurts...I have pain just laying in bed.

After a year of trying to adjust, my onc switched me to tamoxifen. I haven't started taking it yet. I'm taking a week or two off to see how I feel without it.

Anyone have experience switching with positive (or negative) results?

Thanks

Lucy 10-10-2017 02:57 PM

Re: Anyone switch from Arimidex to tamoxifen?

Dee,

I don't have experience with tamoxifen but someone else on the board had once noted that they take their pill at bed time and they've had no issues on it. Sorry I can't offer more input but hopefully others will jump in and give their take on the matter.

Good luck!

MaineRottweilers 10-11-2017 06:20 AM

Dee, I have not made that switch but I do have some experience with SEs from Arimidex. It was darn near crippling the first time I took it. I went off it for a month and restarted it and things were much better but ultimately, I discontinued it because I am not ER+ (I have a wacky HR status) and they aren't sure it will benefit my PR+ status.

jaykay 10-11-2017 03:14 PM

Hi Dee,

Why wouldn't your Onc put you on another AI like letrozole or aromasin? I was on tamoxifen for 4.5 years and hated every second. I was on letrozole for 5 years the first time and 4 years this time so far. Much better for me than tamoxifen, but everyone is different.

Janis

donocco 10-13-2017 11:47 AM

Dee

Trying a different Aromatase Inhibitor is an option. If the oncologist decides on Tamoxifen you have to be aware that Tamoxifen is an inactive prodrug. It becomes an active drug, Nor-Tamoxifen in your body using an enzyme called Cyp-2D6. Drugs that inhibit this enzyme prevent the formation of this active form.

There are a lot of these drugs but many of the anti-depressants ie Prozac (Fluoxetine) Paxil (Paroxetine), and Wellbutrin (Bupropion) do this. So does Quinidine but Quinidine is a heart drug and I doubt you would be taking this.

Paul

sassy 10-13-2017 07:41 PM

I was on Arimidex for 8 years. Had to stop because of complicated bone issues. Onc put me on Tamoxifen and I had no discernable side effects at all.

Give it a shot!

Jean 10-14-2017 06:43 AM

I had started on Arminidex and had to make a switch. The headache pain was severe. Onc then had me try another AI which was Femara which worked find.
Wishing you best of luck with new treatment.
jean