HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I have a plan! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58236)

MaineRottweilers 05-29-2013 06:50 PM

I have a plan!

...and it does NOT include cancer.

Waiting for a treatment plan was nearly more torturous for me than waiting for a diagnosis.
I got my plan!

Tomorrow PET, MRI, MUGA. Monday, Chemo class. Wed consult with BS to get Port. Friday, consult with MO to go over diagnostics. Tues Port in. Friday, CHEMO! Taxere, Carboplatin and Herceptin infusion (6 hours) q21d x6 txs. Start radiation 33 tx daily M-F for six weeks concurrent with additional Herceptin infusion (2h) q21d for 5 additional txs. Quarterly MUGA, PET, MRI scans. Because it cannot be determined if the DCIS I have is a separate cancer event (it is focally positive <1% for ER) or if it's what my IDC looked like before it went nuts and eradicated ER (highly unlikely but not implausible), I will take oral Tamoxifen for five years to protect my other breast. I told my MO that I didn't necessarily want my other breast and she seemed quite upset with me.... Hey, I don't lactate anymore, what to I need it for?

dchips1 05-29-2013 07:07 PM

Re: I have a plan!

Sorry to say welcome, but you have come to a good place, and after all these years I would have went with a bilateral as well. I was never very big on the bra thing so If I knew then what I know know, both would have gone, no mammo, ultrasounds. Either flat and even for everyday, or dress and tight shirt 2 even light weight forms.

If you do not get what you need then second opinion is always good. Be your own advocate, do have a good family/friend support, to bounce that idea off of?

Prayers for you and all your decisions
Darita

NEDenise 05-30-2013 04:04 AM

MR-
Sounds like a good plan! And YOU sound like you have exactly the right attitude to make it all work! Kudos!

Ironically...since I don't think I've ever disagreed with Darita (whose new avatar photo is stunning BTW) on anything...
As someone who did have a BMX, and recon...
If I had known then, what I know now...I probably would not have done it that way.
But...as we all know, hindsight is 20/20!

You sound like someone who get's all her ducks in a row...research, second opinions, etc ...before making decisions so I'm confident you'll do what's right for you.

Keep us posted!
Denise

'lizbeth 05-30-2013 08:10 AM

Maine,

Happy that you have a plan. Sounds like you are set up for "Standard of Care" treatment except for the Tamoxifen seems a little outside the box. It does seem the MO is very thorough which is a good thing.

I understand about the other breast. I'm currently not very found of mine because I have the occasional breast pain that makes me nervous. Even though I'm over 5 years out I'm trying to lose weight and then get the other breast reduced and lifted and finish my reconstruction.

I'm a big fan of 2nd opinions too. I know you are way up in beautiful Maine and cancer centers are not common. But since your MO is more attached to your other breast than you are, a different opinion might be helpful.

You can also do small things to lower risk on your own. Eat plenty of fruits & vegetables, aerobic exercise (even during treatment) and meditation have shown a decrease in recurrence rates. Women who have a support group have also had lower recurrence rates.

Statistically the chances of the cancer recurring are low. But we see from this board the ladies who have experienced progression. Luckily they (Denise, Darita, and others) are here and willing to share their experience.

The radiation and chemo are going to be challenging. But you can do it. If you have questions there seems to be someone on the board who has experienced something similar.

Keep us posted on your experience.

Wishing you good health

CarolineC 05-30-2013 09:27 AM

What about making a change based on the info Lani just posted regarding weekly versus every three weeks having a better response rate for ER+, Her+?

SusanN 05-30-2013 09:53 PM

Hi MR!
I'm a member of the "ittibittititticommitti!!" Size A on a good day!! :)
You can read my signature, as to my right breast...I am still recovering from the infection after my mastectomy. I really wanted to be DONE with both breasts, however, my BS told me that DCIS would not go to my other breast, therefore he would not remove it.
I was also tested before surgery for the BRCA 1 & 2 as I'm adopted, thank God I am negative.

In fact, I saw my BS today, we did talk about possible reconstruction again, maybe in a year...he knows I am so very, very scared to go under the knife again as I don't have much skin left to mess with! He told me, if or when I'm ready, we'll talk about it and he will advise me with a very reputable plastic surgeon...I still am a long way off...

So many questions for all of us...seems like you are making ground...keep at it...great job!!!

These gals are SOOOOOO FULL OF KNOWLEDGE & WISDOM!!

kk1 05-31-2013 08:06 AM

Hi;

I'd definitely ask about weekly treatment versus the 21day cycle. As you can see from my profile I did the weekly treatment and was able to work the whole time and did not even lose all my hair. I also live on Maine part of the year and take treatment up in Augusta.....what great weather the last two days.

CarolineC 05-31-2013 09:31 AM

Wow, kk1, look at you! CONGRATULATIONS!

I wish I had done weekly treatment. Maine, try to have the test to see if you can metabolize Tamoxifen.