HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Facebook question (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41777)

Bill 11-06-2009 07:21 PM

Facebook question

Hi gang! I'm really not a computer person, so I often need a little help. Recently, I've received several invitations to join Facebook, and on one of them, I clicked on the link to respond, and they asked for my password to my email account. That's bad, right? I didn't do it, but I'm worried that it may be a family member or one of y'all inviting me to join. To join a group, I should not have to give my e-mail password, right?

Laurel 11-06-2009 08:00 PM

Re: Facebook question

Blind leading the blind here, Bill, but whenever I get an invite I do not have to give my email password, no. I just cannot get into the whole facebook, twitter jive and never answer anything or write on any walls. I just do not have the time. Everyone loves it, though so I guess it has its merits. Good luck!

ElaineM 11-06-2009 09:58 PM

I would change my e-mail password if I were you.
Facebook practices are the reason I never visit friends or family members there.

trixkit 11-07-2009 07:01 AM

The same thing happened to me.

I think facebook is attempting to look though your e-mail contacts to see if they are also facebook members so they can add them as your friends.

You did the right thing by not giving out your password, never give any password out, too many snakes on the web.

You can sign-up for facebook without providing your e-mail password, that's optional.

Bill 11-07-2009 03:45 PM

Hey, thanks, Ladies! Now I'm just curious as to who invited me to join.

trixkit 11-07-2009 07:40 PM

My guess is that you weren't intentionally invited. What probably happened was that some facebook user replied to some of the nonesense that takes place on facebook and sent an invite to everyone in their e-mail contact list. You just happened to be in their e-mail list

This is what happened to me, I got all excited about a facebook invite and come to find out it was essentially spam.

John

Bill 11-08-2009 03:15 PM

Thanks, John. Sorry I called you a "Lady", not that there's anything wrong with being called a Lady, of course, but it's much better if you actually are one. Yeah, I was kinda like you, all excited about being invited to something. "Hey, look here, honey! See, I am Somebody, and someone wants me to participate in something!" Thanks for setting me straight, John.

hutchibk 11-08-2009 09:50 PM

I have my FB set up with an alternate web based yahoo email address, not my everyday email address. It is the one that I use for all of my online stuff, and it is the one where all of the online spam gets sent. I don't have any addresses saved in the address book, so it is virtually a meaningless email address. I didn't set up FB from any invites that people sent me, I set it up on my own. They only require your email address and a password unique to your FB account to sign in.

chrisy 11-09-2009 10:18 AM

I've got a fakie FB email account too. I have no friends, (well, except a few from this board) but that's ok because I don't know what to do with anything on FB so I'm not a very good friend I guess! I just start clicking on stuff and pretty soon I'm apologizing for sending (or not sending - because I can't tell the difference!) hearts and angels! Who needs another apology thread on the web????

Actually I could be a better FB friend if I learned how to do it! Sheila's really good at it, maybe she will give me lessons in SA!

And needless to say, nobody wants to see my face on the web, except maybe with a bag over it!

Sigh...by the time I figure out facebook, they'll have moved onto other parts of the body and FOR SURE I'm not going there!:)

Rich66 11-10-2009 12:09 AM

There are some excellent bachelor recipes for Spam. None involve a computer. Soon we will be able to literally create a Spam sandwich online. We will all have to stop and think if we can go any further.

SoCalGal 11-12-2009 09:33 PM

Hi Bill,
I have nothing to say about your facebook problems, I just wanted to say HI BILL.

Bill 11-14-2009 08:13 AM

Hi Flori! How the heck are ya?

hutchibk 11-21-2009 01:50 AM

And where the heck are ya, Ms Flori?

Jackie07 11-21-2009 04:25 AM

I have pretty much been limiting my Facebook communication to be among family members and close friends. The 'program' searches all the e-mail contacts in our address book. It automatically informs those contacts that we have a Facebook account. If someone invites you, you then have access to his friends and family that are listed on his account...

So far most of my friends are very courteous. After the initial excitement, I have sort of limited my contacts on the facebook to just family and personal friends. And I can send private e-mails to my nieces if they wanted to 'vent'...

hutchibk 11-21-2009 11:08 AM

Hey Jackie, here's a way around that, from my above post...

I have my FB set up with an alternate web based yahoo email address, not my everyday email address. It is the one that I use for all of my online stuff, and it is the one where all of the online spam gets sent. I don't have any addresses saved in the address book, so it is virtually a meaningless email address. I didn't set up FB from any invites that people sent me, I set it up on my own. They only require your email address and a password unique to your FB account to sign in.

And there are pretty good privacy settings which allow you to limit access to yourself and your friends on to varying degrees... you and your friends can be as invisible to others as you wish to be.

Jackie07 11-21-2009 02:14 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Mary Jo 11-24-2009 08:33 PM

...and all I wanted to say is that I love facebook and go their everyday. I love staying in contact with people their......reestablishing old friendships and playing the games. LOVE facebook. Hope you figure it out Bill....I'd love to be your "friend." http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mary Jo

juanita 12-18-2009 02:01 PM

love facebook! it let's me stay in contact with the kids from school since i don't see them anymore. if you decide to join let me know. i'd like to be your friend.

Faith in Him 12-30-2009 03:58 PM

I just joined facebook. I can't figure out how to post anything. Do you post under your status or where it says.."whats on your mind"? I tried posting a pic the other day. It did not work. How do people figure this stuff out. Is it trial and error?

Tonya

Mary Jo 12-30-2009 04:37 PM

Pretty much trial and error Tonya. You'll figure it out. Welcome to facebook. Hey, love the new profile picture. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif