HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Next surgery coming up! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38773)

'lizbeth 04-05-2009 07:27 PM

Next surgery coming up!

I'll be going under the knife the day after Easter.

This time gang - it is the good surgery. My favorite surgeon is going to revise my reconstructed breast.

This is the upside of breast cancer, I'm going to look like a teenager ago.

WooHoo!

'lizbeth 04-05-2009 07:28 PM

Oops - was the a slip of the tongue.

I mean I'll look like a teenager again, not ago.

'lizbeth 04-05-2009 07:29 PM

Shoot, I give up on the English tonight.

Mary Jo 04-06-2009 08:22 AM

I'm happy for you 'lizbeth......and it's awesome that you are able to be happy and find the silver lining in your situation.

I, too, am a reconstruction girl. I had delayed bilateral DIEP almost 3 years after my initial diagnosis and mastecetomies. So, the "new girls" were definitely a present to myself. I, too, am coming up on the phase II surgery. Not much to "correct" - just a few little things. I wasn't even going to go ahead with it but figured - hey, I went through the initial 10 hour surgery, why not finish it up.

So, good luck to you....prayers for awesome results and healing I send to God.

Love and Peace,

Mary Jo

Shobha 04-06-2009 09:11 AM

Hi 'lizabeth,

Have a wonderful surgery with perky results! Sending lots of positive vibes and prayers your way.

shobha

Sheila 04-07-2009 12:03 PM

Lizbeth
You will be in my thoughts as you undergo this step towards perkiness....please let us know that all is OK with you....I had surgery the day after Easter 29 years ago....a hysterectomy...seems like yesterday...where does time go?

WomanofSteel 04-08-2009 04:47 AM

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted.

jones7676 04-08-2009 11:43 AM

Good luck with your surgery!

Louise O'Brien 04-08-2009 02:34 PM

Well just to join the crowd...

You're right - it is the "good part" of surgery. I had the Diep flap last November - and just last week I went through Part Two - reduction on the good side and a minor correction on the reconstructed breast.

That was day surgery - and I was home before 1 p.m.

I'm six days out from that operation and feeling fine. I just had the stitches out today - and the doctors are really pleased.

I was struck by the results immediately last week as I dressed to return home.

I put on a sweater that I was embarassed to wear in the past because my silhouette was so uneven.

Not any more. I was balanced and I was perky! I have several sweaters waiting in my drawer that I can now wear without having to "artfully" arrange a scarf around them.

swimangel72 04-08-2009 03:10 PM

Good luck 'Lizbeth - let us know how it all turns out! I'll be getting my foob fixed on May 6th with my new PS - outpatient surgery too, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll have a normal looking breast again and then can start wearing regular bras. Louise I'm so happy you had good results! I'm planning on taking a week off from work - so I'm happy to hear that after 6 days you're feeling so well!

tricia keegan 04-08-2009 04:05 PM

Good luck 'Lisbeth for results you'll be happy with and a quick recovery.

Louise good to see you posting and glad all went well with your surgery too:)

Joan M 04-08-2009 04:17 PM

Lizbeth,

Good luck with the surgery!

Joan

Louise O'Brien 04-09-2009 09:11 AM

Lizbeth, Swimangel - I don't know if you have the same instructions I did - to bring a bra to hospital because you'll be wearing it out. It's used mainly to hold in the dressings and to give you some support and they want you to wear it while you sleep as well.

That was a milestone for me and I'm not sure my husband understood it. I was elated that I was finally able to go into a store and buy a normal bra - all those wonderful choices. Just don't get underwire.

I would suggest a larger cup size. I'm glad I did because the dressings take up room. You'll be wearing some versions of them for about three weeks. But this was mainly because I was undergoing reduction surgery so maybe it won't apply in your case.

'lizbeth 04-09-2009 10:22 AM

Louise,

I'll take a bra, but I couldn't find a sports bra that fastened in the front. That is a good idea because I don't do so well with tape - causes rashes.

I'll be calling my breast "The Twins" one will be Danny DeVito and the other Arnie Schwarzennegar. As the right breast will be about a C cup and the left breast is larger than DD.

This revision will just be on the side I had the TRAM reconstruction. In 6 months I will have a reduction and lift on the other side.

Wow, only a few more days.

schoolteacher 04-09-2009 01:47 PM

Lizbeth,

Happy you are getting the to the good side of this journey.

Amelia

swimangel72 04-09-2009 06:42 PM

'Lizbeth I found front-closing sports bras in Target and K-Mart. My PS hasn't told me anything yet about what to expect so thanks for the suggestion Louise! I'll be calling his secretary to get more information in another few weeks. Good luck with your surgery Liz..........hope "The Twins" behave themselves!