HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ZW25 clinical trial - day one (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67356)

SoCalGal 08-29-2018 11:22 AM

ZW25 clinical trial - day one

FINALLY started the ZW25 trial on Monday. The only curve ball was a 10mg oral dose of decadron aka dexamethasone. I had a rough time managing the panic anxiety that so much steroid causes me. Just kept ativan-ing until I felt okay and had to continue on .25 mg Ativan about every 2-3 hours round the clock.

Yesterday I had a red hot face in the morning, typical for me and steroids. Was still very jittery. More Ativan. And took Zyrtec and some Advil and got thru the day.

Today I feel mostly normal. For sure more fatigue - hard to parse out coming down from steroids and poor sleep from side effects. Will figure out over time.

So far I am greatly relieved to be back on treatment and of course hoping this will work to control/kill Mbc cells and give me back my horizon.

Meantime, I am grateful for the support from everyone here - it means so much to me. Fingers crossed, xxxxxxxxxx...
Much love,
Flori

donocco 08-29-2018 03:03 PM

Re: ZW25 clinical trial - day one

10mg of Decadron is a lot of steroid. It doesnt sound like much but Decadron is potent. Since 0.75mg of Decadron (Dexamethasone) =5mg Prednisone, 10mg Dexamethasone = about 66mg, almost 70mg of Prednisone

Paul

Laurel 08-29-2018 04:07 PM

May you get your horizon back! Glad it was manageable. Steroids are wicked. Please keep us posted!

Juls 08-29-2018 04:08 PM

Good to hear treatment has started at long last!

Hope your feeling better today.

Juls

Carol Ann 08-29-2018 06:26 PM

So glad your treatment started! Hope you're feeling better today.

Thanks so much for posting, I know we've all been thinking about you!

Carol Ann

Pamelamary 08-30-2018 01:37 AM

Hope this trial works well for you! Can understand the anxiety and distaste for steroids - I used to go so red, my oncologist always knew that I had been taking them as instructed. My husband christened me "tomato face". Never could sleep either. But they help ease the impact of all the other crap we have to take....
Best wishes..... Pam

Donna H 08-30-2018 11:05 AM

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all goes well!

Becky 08-30-2018 03:56 PM

I'm thinking about you and I hope you have a great experience on this drug

Catherine 08-30-2018 08:11 PM

Go Flori! Thank goodness you understand all these drugs and can adjust appropriately. May things get better soon! Sending lots of good vibes.

Cathya 08-31-2018 09:01 AM

Flori;

I sure hope any se's are manageable and easier than chemo. Thinking of you and hoping each day gets better as your tumour load declines. Virtual hugs.

Cathy

sassy 08-31-2018 12:49 PM

Glad you got started and hoping for new horizons! Thinking of you.

StephN 08-31-2018 10:53 PM

Sorry you need that Dreaded Decadron! I can barely sleep when on that stuff. So your fatigue factor is not surprising.

But on the glass half full side - HOORAY for starting the trial at long last. Get out your binoculars and look for that horizon. It is out there for you.

Take those lovely dogs for a good walk and let the fresh air clear your head.

Lucy 09-05-2018 06:40 PM

How often will you get treatments?

Glad it wasn't any worse than it was and I hope it only improves in time while it kicks the cancer's butt!

Let us know how you're doing when you're up to it.

Laurel 09-06-2018 06:44 AM

Thinking of you, Flori. Hoping you are doing ok and this new protocol is very tolerable and crazy effective!

Nurse4u2day 09-06-2018 05:10 PM

Always saying prayers for you ladies. And yes may you get your horizon back

SoCalGal 09-22-2018 10:57 AM

ZW25 round two was not so good, longggg story short, they waited too long to treat me, over 3 hours after having me take premeds, so 10 minutes in I had an infusion reaction and had to stop drip. I'm scheduled for round #3 on Monday. The plan is to give me IV decadron, 10 mg, plus IV benedryl 25 mg, plus I'll take at least 1 mg Ativan. I can't even begin to think ahead to sustaining this kind of regime. BUT for now, will try to see if I can get thru the infusion with these aggressive premeds. I will also have a Dr. in my room, so it won't be the keystone cops routine revisited if I DO have a reaction. Yes, I'm incredibly anxious. But I'd like to give this medicine a chance to knock down some mets. It's gonna be a tough week, treatment on Monday, spect mri brain scan on Tuesday to follow up flair signal, meet with brain surgeon on Wednesday.

Living in the present moment, where things are mostly A-okay. Love to all....Flori

Cathya 09-22-2018 12:45 PM

Flori;

So sorry to hear about the sessions. It is a tough ask. When will you know if they are effective and how so? Also, I assume you don't stay on them indefinitely (like I am the Ibrance/Letrozole) so what happens next? Take care and I hope the se's from the treatment itself is not too bad. This MBC is really a bugger.

Thinking of you,

Cathy

Juls 09-22-2018 02:05 PM

Flori,

Hope round 3 goes well.
Thinking of you.
Juls

Carol Ann 09-22-2018 05:15 PM

Hoping #3 goes better and glad you'll have a doc in the room ... praying this works for you!! I think of you every day. <3<3<3

Carol Ann

Laurel 09-23-2018 05:02 PM

Well, Flori, you know how to create a buzz! I can imagine the whirlwind of activity around you in that infusion room, especially because you are in a trial. Keystone Cops! Great mental picture!

I do hope that with subsequent infusions there is some acclimation to the med and you will not require all the heavy 'roids to tamp the reaction. I like your ability to mentally deal with the present and not look too far ahead. Things do change and while multiple rounds of whatever med constitutes ZW25 may look daunting currently, tolerances can occur and you may find it easier. I sure hope and pray so anyway!

You are brave, Flori-girl. I want you to kick that cancer shit back to hell where it came from. May ZW25 help you do just that!