HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   color of chemo you're taking- what color? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65492)

sarah 11-27-2016 02:24 AM

color of chemo you're taking- what color?

Hello,
Could someone tell me which chemos are red?
I'm asking because an HER2 friend has heart artery spasms and the surgeon (no surgery possible for her) asked if the chemo she did some 10+ years ago was red. Apparently the molecule can cause this?!
So would like to know which ones are red.
My friend doesn't remember what she had.
I know, besides Herceptin, which I don't think is red, I had Taxol but I don't think that was red either but can't remember since it's 14 years ago now.
Thanks
Sarah

Carol Ann 11-27-2016 09:29 AM

Re: color of chemo you're taking- what color?

The surgeon probably meant the chemo everyone calls The Red Devil -- Adriamycin. It has a risk of heart problems as a well documented side effect.

Carol Ann

Becky 11-27-2016 09:36 AM

Definitely Adriamycin

sarah 11-28-2016 09:12 AM

Thanks Carol Ann and Becky, yes that looks like the one and I very much doubt she had it since she was never metastatic even though she had bc in the same breast twice.
stay well
love sarah

Carol Ann 11-28-2016 12:48 PM

Sarah, Adriamycin is often given to patients who are early stage and not metastatic, so it probably is the one she had. THC has only become standard of care for early stage HER2 patients in the past few years, in fact my onc and I even discussed using Adriamycin (we didn't in the end) and I was Stage 1.

Carol Ann

sarah 11-29-2016 09:16 AM

Ok, thanks Carol Ann. I did email our chemo nurse who's part of our English speaking cancer support group and asked her to ask my friend's onc about what chemo she was on but haven't heard back. Now I realize that she may really have had, I will work harder on this. Thanks
Be well and happy
love sarah

tricia keegan 11-29-2016 03:37 PM

I agree it was Adriamycin and I had it too, it would be interesting to see who had heart issue's ten years on from this although I'm fine so far.

suzan w 12-27-2016 05:18 PM

oh, yes, Adriamycin...the red devil...I went through my chemo with that...it was pretty brutal. I was only able to take (ie:survive the chemo!!) 4 out of a recommended 6 treatments. I am now 11 years out and have developed "esophageal spasms" which hit me like a heart attack the first time. Whew...not a pleasant experience. Even though I know now what they are it still knocks me flat each time. I had terrible mouth sores due to chemo and I think my severe GERD is a result of that...??? There does not seem to be any "treatment" for esophageal spasms as they come out of the blue and don't seem to be food related. So...the Red Devil still rears its ugly head...however I have to watch what I say because at the time I was diagnosed, A/C chemo was the first step to Herceptin. And...it all saved my life!!!

sarah 01-01-2017 01:55 AM

The chemo nurse said FEC and one is red. She said it's a very common combo. My friend only took Herceptin for a very short time because her Muga test was too low. However my friend did tell me she had some heart problem before getting cancer so now we think it's not connected.

caya 01-04-2017 05:02 PM

I had FEC (x3) then Taxotere (x 3).

FEC is actually 3 different drugs and one of them is red. FEC-T was a very common chemo combo administered here in Canada when I had it (January - May 2007), 10 years ago.
Followed by a year of Herceptin, 17 infusions, one every 3 weeks. May be different now, I hope I never have to find out.

Happy New Year to all. I pray that everyone does well.

all the best
caya

sarah 01-05-2017 05:25 AM

Hello Caya,
Also hope you never have problems but between Herceptin, FEC and radiation, be sure to see a cardiologist and get checked for heart issues.
Have a happy and healthy New Year.
We're lucky to both live in countries were health is a right not just for those who can afford it.
love Sarah

caya 01-05-2017 09:38 PM

Yes Sarah we are very fortunate to live in countries that have universal health care. I know it's not a perfect system, but as you say, every citizen is covered, regardless of their financial situation. It is bad enough to be sick, especially with a major life-threatening illness like cancer, and have to worry about the cost of treatment.
I did not have radiation, but did have chemo, Herceptin, Tamoxifen and Femara, as well as one Reclast infusion. I did see a cardiologist after I completed Herceptin, and did a lot of heart tests including a stress test. But that was about about 8 years ago, I guess it wouldn't heart to see him again.

all the best
caya

sarah 01-06-2017 06:09 AM

Hello Caya,
Yes definitely do some cardio check ups. My heart problem came 9 or 10 years after my radiation - however my radiation was done during a period when they did over radiate and also since mine had spread over my sternum where it was inoperable, I think they gave me extra zaps! One night I woke up thinking my whole insides were on fire! my husband quickly gave me liquid Maalox to swallow. Still better to be safe.
Take care and be well
love Sarah
ps you know I was born in Victoria!

caya 01-07-2017 01:01 PM

Sarah I did not know you were born in Victoria. So you are a fellow Canuck (although I know you now live in France).

I will def. check this out.

all the best
caya

sarah 01-10-2017 08:06 AM

Yup, I'm a Canuck originally but now a mutt!!!