HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Fosamax Side Effects? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61279)

Carol Ann 06-12-2014 03:17 PM

Fosamax Side Effects?

I'm taking my first weekly Fosamax pill tomorrow and of course after reading all the side effects I am dreading it. Can anyone out there who is currently on it offer some reassurance?

I know I'm more at risk for osteoporosis because of the Arimidex I'm taking ... it just doesn't end, does it, with pills to counteract what the first pills do!

Thanks everyone!

Carol Ann

StephN 06-12-2014 03:45 PM

Re: Fosamax Side Effects?

I was put on Fosamax by my med onc and took it every Sat morning - weekly dose.

Seems like I took it for a couple of years, and did not notice any side effects. After treatment for stage IV mets I was put on Zometa every 3 weeks, taken along with my Herceptin.

My bones have been pretty stable, but there is enough "slippage" shown on my Dexa scan that I am now being prescribed Zometa again - either the once a year or every 6 months dosages. Will be up to my insurance which one I can get.

Others here should reply as many do have to take something to counteract the side effect of bone loss.

tricia keegan 06-12-2014 06:57 PM

Are you taking this as a preventative?? I was only prescribed it when dx Osteopenia but found it made me feel very queasy, I now get a yearly iv of zometa which only lasts thirty minutes and suits me much better.

Carol Ann 06-12-2014 08:05 PM

Hi Tricia, yes, I had a bone scan a month or so ago that showed osteopenia ... sorry for the confusion -- I updated my signature to show that!

My onc said if I had trouble with the Fosamax/bad side effects he would see about Zometa, apparently insurance is sometimes reluctant to pay for it unless you're Stage IV or having bad side effects from the oral medications.

Another concern with Zometa is I have mild lymphedema in both arms from having nodes removed on both sides, tumors in both breasts ... so I would have to leave my port in post Herceptin. Not a big deal I guess, but I was looking forward to getting it out after finishing Herceptin in November.

StephN, thanks for the encouraging words ... keeping my fingers crossed I don't feel a thing tomorrow! :)

CA

Carol Ann 06-13-2014 07:14 AM

Happy to report I took the pill this morning and haven't noticed anything unusual ... YAAAAY!

TGIF!

CA

jaykay 06-13-2014 09:30 AM

I was on fosamax for years but switched to reclast (zometa) about 4 years ago ( pre 2nd bc). I'm on a once every 2 yr infusion depending on results of dexa scans. For me, it's been more effective than the oral meds. Plus 1 20 minute infusion versus another pill to take!

I've been osteopenic for many years (early menopause), 5 years on my first AI stint and 1 year into my second. Make sure to take plenty of calcium and check your vitamin d levels regularly. And, of course, weight bearing exercise :-)

Carol Ann 06-13-2014 10:34 AM

Thanks Jaykay!

CA

tricia keegan 06-13-2014 03:04 PM

Good luck Carol Ann and hope you tolerate it well!:)

Carol Ann 06-13-2014 03:13 PM

Thanks Tricia! So far so good ... nothing happened this morning. I called a friend of mine to chat with until the half hour was up, we ended up talking longer, I was walking around the whole time, not taking any chances! :)

CA