HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Oh shoot! Got something needing checking out ... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29727)

StephN 08-25-2007 12:13 PM

Oh shoot! Got something needing checking out ...

Well friends, I hope my dance with NED is not over yet.

I have discovered a VERY HARD area above my right clavicle. It almost looks like I have been pumping iron on one side and have an overdeveloped muscle between top of shoulder and my collar bone.
I can't really distinguish any individual lumps like swollen nodes - the whole area is hard and swollen. However I have no pain or real stiffness, just a bit when I turn my head way to the left.

For those of you with troublesome nodes:
How did the area feel/look like and what else can you describe about it??

My med onc is in China so another covering for her ordered an ultrasound with possible biopsy on Monday morning.

My last markers in mid July had not moved from my normal, but have not had the HER2 serum assay since spring. I have blood draw again this coming Wed. when I get my Herceptin, as I am on a 6-week schedule with that.

I can use some positive thoughts and prayers. Thanks, angels!

Sheila 08-25-2007 12:54 PM

Oh Steph
I hope its not the BC rearing its head again....but I must say that I found my own, noticed it when I turned my head to the side, this lump that popped up and was more defined..it wasn't tender...I honestly would never have thought of a recurrence, even my plastic surgeon and my regular surgeon thought it was reconstruction related...well the biopsy revealed Her2+++ ER PR - just like my primary...if in doubt, get it biopsied....here hoping you have just a overdone muscle in the area, or inflammation from something. Haven't your tumor markers been reliable in the past? Mine have not, so mine were normal when this was discovered.
Sending you prayers and healing thoughts that this is nothing and you can continue your dance with NED for a long long time.

VaMoonRise 08-25-2007 01:02 PM

Thinking of You & Praying it is Nothing!

Hi Steph,

I am so sorry to hear that you have something new to worry about. I hate times like these. The waiting and not knowing is brutal and having your Onc. out of town sure doesn't help matters.

I haven't had any node problems thus far, knock on wood, so I am of really no help in that regard. This area that you are describing is it on the same side as your port by chance? Just wondering, that if it is, could it possibly be related to port trouble that has gone undetected?

Just want to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying that it is nothing and that you remain NED for forever!

Please keep us posted.

Love, Hugs & God Bless,
Nicola

Barbara H. 08-25-2007 01:18 PM

Hi Steph,
This is not the news that I wanted to hear from you. It's possible that it could be a lipoma, or a lymph node that is hard because of infection. I will try to think positive, until you hear otherwise.
I'll be thinking of you.
Barbara H.

Julie2 08-25-2007 01:19 PM

I am thinking of you and hoping it is nothing. We want you to remain as a symbol of hope for us.

Julie

StephN 08-25-2007 01:19 PM

To quickly clarify. Thanks for the replies.

I never had reconstruction as I had a smallish lumpectomy. The area in question is on the surgery/radiated side or right.

Port is on my left side. And the area near my neck and collar bone of the left is normal or only a very little bit swollen, and not hard at all like on the right side.

IRENE FROM TAMPA 08-25-2007 01:34 PM

Positive thoughts going your way

Steph

Am praying for you and that this is nothing more then a muscle "gone wild"

My tumorous nodes have been in areas where they cant be felt, so can't give you much there.

Here's praying that your markers are good. Let us know

fullofbeans 08-25-2007 06:42 PM

My thoughts are with you and yes indeed please remain a symbol of hope for us..may you dance with the NED for many years to come.
All the best for Monday and lots of positive thoughts and supportive energy coming your way.

tousled1 08-25-2007 07:22 PM

Steph,

I'm praying that the suspicious area turns out to be nothing more than perhaps a pulled muscle/tendon. Your tumor markers have always seemed to be a good indicator for you and since they are unchanged it's a good sign. You will be in my prayers.

Becky 08-25-2007 07:40 PM

My thoughts are with you. Thinking nothing but positive vibes.

StillHere 08-25-2007 07:48 PM

Steph, keeping nothing but positive thoughts for you this Monday. Peace be with you and let you be calm enought to get the rest you most certainly need. Luv Karen

Sherryg683 08-25-2007 07:56 PM

Steph, here's hoping that everything will be fine for you. I am so lumpy around my lumpectomy that I am afraid I wouldn't know a tumor from scar tissue. I depend on the scans..sherryg

kareneg 08-25-2007 08:12 PM

I am also praying that this is nothing and you have a lifetime of NED!

sassy 08-25-2007 08:27 PM

Steph,

Praying for "nothing" has become my prayer for all of us. So praying for this area to be "nothing".
________
CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

Chelee 08-25-2007 09:16 PM

Steph, I won't be of any help but I just wanted to let you know I will be thinking positive thoughts for you. I hope its just some nasty infection or some sort that can be stomped out with antibiotics or some other un-expected thing. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelee

Roz 08-26-2007 12:31 AM

Hi Steph,
I too had a lump "firm" mnot hard" where you describe. I was a bit worried, but had in the back of my mind that there used to be a lump thing there when I was swimming every day. (Prior to br cancer). Turned out that it was not cancer recurrence. I must have pulled a muscle a little while swimming, and as I swam in the same fashion every day, it stayed the same. Hope that yours is just a muscle pull.

Mary Anne in TX 08-26-2007 04:58 AM

Well rats, Steph! What a deal!
I'm sure believing it's nothing serious and that you'll be NED still!
ma

Lani 08-26-2007 07:40 AM

Steph N can you be more specific about the location

of the bump.

The clavicle (collarbone) goes from the sternum (breast bone) to the A/C
joint (where it joins a part of the scapula or shoulderblade that "turns the corner") The A/C joint is prone to arthritis, with spurs on the joint giving the appearance of a bump or can occasionally get benign bone tumors, and can separate after trauma and "ride high" giving the appearance of a bump. Lymph nodes usually lie about half way between the joint formed by the sternum and the clavicle and the A/C (acromioclavicular) joint.

Ultrasound doesn't go through bone, so the ultrasound you are scheduled for may show lymph nodes, but wouldn't show an arthritic or separated A/C joint or a benign bone tumor. If your problem is not anywhere near the bone or the A/C joint, then it would seem to be probably involving soft tissue only and the ultrasound capable of giving an answer.

If it doesn't, imagineg which allows the delineation of bony problems (xray, CT or MRI) might provide more answers.

Just food for thought...

Joy 08-26-2007 08:01 AM

I'm here for you too Steph

Unfortunately not with any answers. Just hoping it is some other weird thing that can happen with our bodies and I am waiting anxiousloy and hopefully for good test results! Prayers and much love to you!

dorinda 08-26-2007 09:44 AM

Oh Goodness. I Will Pray For You. Try Not To Worry To Much. Easy To Say But Not To Do. I Remember My Pastor Once Said That "worry" In Greek Means To "strangle". Boy ,it Really Does Stangle Us When We "worry" And It Sure Does Not Change The Situation,does It. I Will Pray That God Will Give You Peace And Joy Durning This Trail. Keep The Faith.dorinda