HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Where the heck has madubois63 been??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39361)

madubois63 05-09-2009 11:02 PM

Where the heck has madubois63 been???

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't posted in a very long time. It's been a really rough winter for me, and I'm very glad that spring is here. You all are always in my prayers and thoughts even when I don't post or read the boards.

In the past, I've been able to warn people of side effects that might happen because they always seem to happen to me. You know, things like not all bc's can be found on a mammo, or not all bc's come with a lump and the ever popular sometimes too much chemo (or the wrong chemo) can induce leukemia. Well, here's a new one...steroids can cause AVN (Avascular Necrosis). What does this mean?? Basically it mean pain - agonizing pain. The blood flow gets cut off to the knee or hip. When the blood flow is reduced or stops, the bone basically dies.

You may remember that since my bone marrow transplant 2 and 1/2 years ago (sweet), I've been off and on heavy steroids for one reason or another. You might also remember that last summer I took a nasty fall doing a full straddle split. The split caused damage but I didn't feel anything until 2 months ago. I thought I was experiencing the usual arthritic pain in my hip, but within a few hours I was screaming and crying in horrific pain. No amount of pain meds helped, and the pain was constant. An MRI showed a muscle in the groin area was torn and that the femoral head (or the "ball" that fits into the hip’s socket) is fractured in several places. The only way to fix this is with a hip replacement. This would have happened just from the steroids, but the trauma from the fall hastened things up a bit.

They've had me on anti-inflammatory meds and more and more pain meds. The only relief I've truly gotten is from acupuncture and massage therapy. I am hanging in there mentally (barely) and physically, but this is not fun. I have not been able to do anything. I can't think. I hope to get the surgery done sooner than later.

Besides that, my blood counts are really good. They still take blood from me every other week because I still have an iron overload in my liver. It is way better than when first discovered, but I am still 4,000 times higher than I should be. I had stopped getting Herceptin for a few months (various reasons), and the 2 spots of bc on my lung started to grow just a tiny bit, so I'm happy to be back on Herceptin. That should take care of the problem. If not, then chemo again; but I think vitamin H should be enough.

Time for me to try and get some sleep. Sleep is really hard to come by. One wrong move and forget about it...

Love to you all...

Jackie07 05-10-2009 12:00 AM

Hi Maryann,

It's so good to hear from you. I love your heading - was a little bit confused at first. :)

Sorry that you are suffering from the hip problem. My Father-in-law has had two hip replacement done since 2003 on his left side. He was fitted with a special shoe
with a 2-3 inches lift. He wouldn't have needed the 2nd surgery if he had followed the instruction and used his cane. I hope your surgery will go smoothly and you will regain your mobility soon.

Take care. Please keep us posted.

MJo 05-10-2009 05:20 AM

I seem to remember that the straddle split was accidental. But knowing your sense of adventure, perhaps you had taken up Olympic gymnastics. Get well soon. My brother had a double hip replacement at age 55. The surgery is less invasive now.

WomanofSteel 05-10-2009 06:27 AM

Maryann, what are we going to do with you. You are like a poster child for Murphy's law! I am so sorry to hear about your agonizing ordeal. I hope that you are able to have your surgery and are on the way to mending soon. I will say an extra special prayer for you.

michka 05-10-2009 12:43 PM

Maryann, I am sorry you now have to go through surgery and are having so much pain. You have gone through so much already. I would have preferred better news. I am sending you hugs.
Michka

ElaineM 05-10-2009 03:58 PM

Where the heck has madubois63 been???

I think all I can say is "Wow". Just reading your post made me feel tired for you.
I sure hope the rest of this year will be better for you.
I hope you get the surgery you need asap, so you can be on the road to recovery soon. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed and say a prayer for you.

Paty 05-10-2009 05:13 PM

Dear MaryAnn,

I am so sorry to hear that you have this bone pain that causes you so much trouble. Hopefully, you will fill better after the surgery. I will be praying for you. I send you a big hug my friend and my whishes for a prompt recovery.

Love,

Paty

Believe51 05-12-2009 12:29 AM

So great to hear from you and I want you to know that you are the same distance away in my thoughts. MadameD, I will add some prayers to those thoughts and hope you feel the relief you need afterwards. Thank you for popping in and giving us an update on your fine self. Take care and go get 'em.>>Believe51

Shobha 05-12-2009 09:04 AM

MaryAnn,

You are so strong and the way you have been fighting this battle is such an inspiration to me who is still relatively new to ups of this new life after dx.

Thanks so much for posting us your well being. I am praying for you to heal well after the surgery and be at peace.

hugs,
shobha

rinaina 05-15-2009 09:22 PM

You are an absolute marvel. Hoping your hip problems get resolved and you once again beat all odds being the fighter you are. Best of luck.

StephN 05-15-2009 09:46 PM

Dear Maryann -
Don't know HOW you do it, but you make "The Perils of Pauline" look like kindergarten!

Let's leave the splits to the cheerleaders, and try to stay upright.

Very sorry to learn about the harsh pain that you are having to endure. Hope the therapy is making a dent in it, so you can back off the pain meds.

Keep us informed of the surgery plans, etc.

Lots of love and good wishes coming you direction.

Mary Anne in TX 05-16-2009 04:04 AM

Maryann, I've missed you! I wish your absence had been for some world travel adventure or the creation of your "Good Fairy" dream! I wish you had stories of adventures with you kids that would lull me to sleep at night with their charm!
I hate that you have been in such pain and having to deal with all that "stuff"!
I'm sending you some south texas sunshine, some boring minutes of painfree rest, and tons of love, girl.
Please don't stay away and keep us up on your progress. The family misses you when you're gone!
Luv ma

SoCalGal 05-16-2009 10:15 AM

Sending prayers your way. There is nothing worse than pain - it just shuts your life down. I hope that you get some relief soon. Keep fighting!

Joan M 05-16-2009 04:22 PM

Maryann,

I do remember you're falling in the kitchen last year. I'm praying that the surgery works out well and that you'll bounce back and feel better.

Hugs,

Joan