HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   You know you're a BC survivor when... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51576)

Sheila 07-26-2012 05:12 PM

Re: You know you're a BC survivor when...

Denise...love this thread....I am enjoying each post....while undergoing rads earlier this year, the rad onc. And the techs complimented me on how well my skin was holding up to the radiation....I of course opened my big mouth and said, well I guess all those years of tanning paid off!

You know you are a breast cancer survivor when you arrive at work, and realize your fake boob is still on the coffee table at home....oh yeah, I am thankful I was employed as a nurse and wore scrubs, and not something skin tiight

Mandamoo 07-26-2012 07:05 PM

I too am reading his for the first time and trying not to embarrass myself belly laughing in the cafe!

You know you are a BC survivor when
- you get a scan saying that your innumerable lung tumors are growing again and youare happy it's still only the lung tumors.
- your oncologist says the lung biopsy confirms her2+ cancer and you say "that's good!" and are genuinely happy you are still her2+
- you don't give a toss who sees your mastectomy scars in the pool change room.
- you are trying on costumes for your 70's themed 40th birthday seriously working out how you can rock a gold lame pantsuit with a cleavage whole and no left boob - tissues won't cut it and you laugh!
- you can honestly revel in celebrating a birthday - after all, it is so much better than the alternative.
- you crack up laughing when your husband asks the surgeon "would you like me to leave the room as you feel up my wife's breasts?" and they then have a lengthy conversation about bra manufacturers and cup sizes!

Oh keep them coming!
As you say Denise - laughter is the best medicine.

Rolepaul 07-27-2012 08:04 AM

You know you are a BC survivor when the insurance company has assigned a personal contact for your case!

You know you are a BC survivor when the Cancer Center President takes your emails and phone calls!

You know you a BC survivor when you have to go buy Henna at the east asian grocery store to combat the effects of the Xeloda on your feet.

You know you are a BC survivor when there is nothing wrong about buying udder cream and bag balm for your hands and feet and slopping it on before covering them with gloves and socks.

You know you are a BC survivor when you are having other people with the same diagnosis ask you about treatment options.

And you know you are a BC survivor when your birthday cake has the candles celebrating NED time.

Denise, you need to get better as this forum needs you.

Rolepaul 07-27-2012 08:34 AM

You know you are a BC survivor when you know the co-pays for your meds is lower than than the cost of the Immodium (or Miralax) you also need to buy.

To all the people out on the forum, SBK does fund research that is pretty cutting edge. At the same time, getting that research to market is still a pain.

You know you are a BC survivor when your husband has no issues with giving you an enema because you are stiff and sore from your other meds.

You know you are a BC survivor when you wonder what color you will make your hair this time when it grows back.

I was thinking about doing a you know you are a BC survivor's significant other (BCSSO) when....

You know when you are a BCSSO when you know all three bra sizes your BCS has worn in the past few years.

You know you are a BCSSO when you compare how much sunburn you have on the top of your heads.

NEDenise 07-27-2012 02:25 PM

You know you're a BC survivor when...
You have several different wardrobes at your disposal at all times:
~ your "regular clothes"
~ the clothes that will accommodate surgical drains
~ your "OMG! I'm blowing up like a tick from all these steroids" collection
~ your "I sleep most of the day lately" attire

and then...I have all the clothes that used to fit, once upon a time, before all this crap started. I think I'll donate those to a nice charity. If I ever get back to that size...I'll treat myself to a wonderful shopping spree!

meo 08-14-2012 07:05 AM

You know you are a BC survivor when.....
Walking down the street, holding hands with hubby and a friend makes the observation that from behind it looks like my husband has switched sides and has a new little boyfriend!

LeahM 09-19-2012 02:10 PM

You know your a breast cancer survivor when your wig makes your head hot and itchy so you take it off. While sitting in your car in bumper to bumper traffic.

NEDenise 11-03-2012 07:13 AM

Hi!
I don't have any new ones to add...but I'm bumping this up, in case someone else does!
:) Denise

embur102 11-03-2012 06:20 PM

For some reason, I just now discovered this thread...and laughed hysterically!

Thank you, all of you brave and funny women :)

Before diagnosis (April 2012), I was lamenting how close to 50 I was getting, and it was the first time turning a certain age was bothering me.
Now, I can't wait to turn 50! :)

Mandamoo 11-03-2012 06:52 PM

When you tell you oncologist that your period has returned after nearly 20 months of continuous chemotherapy and she says "wow! Super ovaries!"

NEDenise 01-01-2013 07:19 PM

You know you're a BC survivor when...

one of the many hypochodriacs in your life starts to whine about their ailment du jour...and
no matter how hard you try, you can't stop yourself from saying something like:

"Sounds terrible! Wanna trade?"
or...

"Really?...hmmmm...
bald...double mastectomy...
heart not pumping correctly...
fluctuate between diarrhea and constipation constantly...
friend...I hate to tell you, but my SIDE EFFECTS trump your imaginary illness!!
Don't even get me started on my real disease issues!"

or

"Do you even hear yourself?
Doesn't it seem at all odd for YOU to be complaining to ME about being "sick"?"

or my personal favorite..

"Helloooo...brain tumor over here!"

:) Denise

chrisy 01-06-2013 11:25 PM

You know you're a BC survivor when

You think it's just hysterical that the thing you always laughed at about your fake Christmas tree (that it shed just like the real thing!)... Is also true about your fake hair

Laurel 01-07-2013 06:04 PM

Had me laughin' with this one, Chris!

chrisy 01-11-2013 08:51 PM

Or maybe you're just losing it when...

You have the old (dating myself again!) Herman's hermits song "there's a kind of hush" going through your head.

Then you tell your hubby about crying in the shower, beginning with Oh God HELP ME, moving through all the unimportant things that you don't care about (and those that DO matter), and finishing with

"I'm so DESPONDENT....................LA LA LA LALALALA LA LA LA LA
LALALALA. LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LALA LA..."

you know what I mean?

dawny 01-12-2013 01:38 AM

Haha Chrisy, you gotta laugh!
Dawn

NanaJoni 01-12-2013 09:37 AM

.....when your daughter finally mentions your breasts don't look quite right and you realize you've had one of your prostheses in the bra upside down.

Joanne S 01-12-2013 06:03 PM

I never saw this threat before, OMG you guys are soo funny.....I laughed so hard I peed my pants.

Ok I'll try one... not too funny, but silly....
You know you're a BC survivor when you go to your onc office and the nurse tells you to take off your top and put on a disposable cape, and you respond I don't need one.

Joanne S 01-12-2013 06:06 PM

You know your a bc survivor when the plastic surgeon walks into the room and you say, wanna cop a feel.

Carrie 01-12-2013 07:11 PM

How about these 2,
You know your a breast cancer survivor when you wake up at 3 in the morning and your side is soaked because your drainage tube had a blow out.
You know your a breast cancer survivor when your night stand looks like a pharmacy.

I love all the ones posted before this. And I love so many have such a good sense of humor about all this. It really helps to laugh.

IrvineFriend 01-16-2013 04:19 AM

You know you're a breast cancer survivor when you're most focused on your partner not accidently pulling out your drain tube than on the "act" itself. Sex is definitely different!