HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Subcutaneous Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65005)

Bunty 06-16-2016 12:23 AM

Subcutaneous Herceptin

Subcutaneous Herceptin is now available for free in Australia thanks to recent PBS approval. I had my first subcutaneous injection today, which was very straight forward. After 8.5 years of infused Herceptin every three weeks, I'm excited by the 'possibilities'.

One of the 'possibilities' is that I have read that there are trials (in Australia, not sure about elsewhere) for self administration. Just interested to know if anyone out there is self administering yet, or know about how trials are doing?

Cheers Marie

jacqueline1102 06-16-2016 07:26 PM

Re: Subcutaneous Herceptin

Hi Marie,

Wonderful news for you. I wish I could answer your question. I am not sure if that is even here yet in the states. I recall asking my team about a subcutaneous herceptin three years ago when I read something about the UK having this. To paraphrase, that will never be accepted here; there is too much money to be made by having heceptin unfusions.

Hope all is well with you. :)

Pamelamary 06-17-2016 12:36 AM

Hi Marie, that is good news - glad to hear it was straightforward as I had heard it is a very big injection. My oncologist said to wait a bit - not entirely sure why.
Regards..... Pam

Juls 06-17-2016 03:20 AM

Hi Marie
I am in Scotland & getting Herceptin injection. Just had 9th injection. Have not heard about possibility of self administration. i have heard that in some other countries GP will give it but has to be hospital here!
Takes 4 mins into upper thigh. Can be a bit stingy and best if Herceptin is at room temperature and not just out of fridge!!
So easy!!
Juls

Joan M 06-17-2016 06:17 AM

Excellent news. Thanks for sharing it.

Joan

SoCalGal 06-17-2016 08:33 PM

Wow! Had no idea his was even an option. Wonder how I could handle it, I'm allergic to herceptin and do heavy Premeds (which I could still do) but my infusion runs ultra slowly changing the drip rate every 10 minutes over two hours. A shot might kill me?!

Bunty 06-19-2016 02:00 AM

Jackie, good to hear from you and I hope all well (yikes, I think I owe you an email)! I think the cost must be similar, as it took a while for the Government to approve to put the sub cut Herceptin on the free list (as is the infused version). So not sure there would be any financial incentive to stay on infusions.

Pam, BCNA had an article about it in their recent Newsetter, and they wanted feedback if anyone was having difficulty in getting sub cut Herceptin. It was just a normal needle (certainly much smaller than the port needle), and it took about three minutes to administer into upper thigh. It stung a little at the start, but I see the advice Juls has re room temperature, which I'll check next time I have it. I then had to wait about 15 mins before I left. No side effects at all.

SoCalGirl - I think the sub cut Herceptin is still probably mixed with other things (which would make sense), but not so much as the infused version, so I wonder if it could be in something else mixed in the infusion that causes problems for you?

At the very least, wouldn't it be great to be able to take vials with you if you were travelling, and just pop into a doctor or hospital to have it administered. My oncologist certainly thinks this would be possible in Australia, but of course, it's early days yet. I had the nurse who was giving me the injection look at the expiry dates, and it's expiry was six months away. The leaflet says to keep it refrigerated, and can only be at room temperature for about 6 hours. I think we could work around this! And then, imagine if you could just administer at home, or on holidays.

Cheers Marie

tricia keegan 06-19-2016 02:11 PM

Wow, this hasn't reached us here in Ireland as yet Marie but sounds great although doubt i could work up the courage to inject myself anyway but getting it at the local Dr's would be easier than a trip to the hospital.

Juls 06-19-2016 04:33 PM

Hi Tricia
Just thinking about self admin of this and as you say "getting the courage up" would be my first problem!
I do thing it could be possible because of way it is done. Nurse just pinches flesh ( or should I say fat!!) and puts needle in. Don't know what I expected but guess it was not the quick plunge! 4 mins and its done and you can leave immediately.
So easy.
Juls

tricia keegan 06-20-2016 12:30 PM

That doesn't sound too bad at all Juls and think I may be brave enough to give that a go!:)

Randomfamily 06-23-2016 11:36 PM

Hi all, I have been having neo adjuvant Herceptin by infusion with other chemo but am about to finish so will be switching to sub cutaneous injections. I have read that the injection is painful. Is this people's experience? From posts below it doesn't seem so. I have also been doing mistletoe as a complementary therapy and have learnt to self inject that. And I hate needles!!

Bunty 06-24-2016 01:45 AM

Welcome to the board Randomfamily!

I've only had the one, and it stung a little bit at the start - certainly not painful. As Juls points out (she has had a lot more), when it's at room termperature not so stingy.
Wishing you all the best.
Cheers Marie

Randomfamily 06-24-2016 03:42 AM

Thanks Marie. Hope all proceeds well with you too. Will let all know how it goes in case others are switching from intravenous to Sub cutaneous.