HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Small underskin bleed: could it be leukemia? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63940)

JessicaV 10-15-2015 03:48 PM

Small underskin bleed: could it be leukemia?

Hi, 2 nights ago I was fast asleep in bed and woke thinking something (wasp/ant/bee/scorpian) had bitten or stung me on the bottom (Jeans back pocket area). It hurt with a stinging feeling. I threw back the cover and sheet, nothing there, but a 1.5cm discoloured bruise had appeared on the spot. So it seems likely I had a small spontaneous hepatoma.

I have been fatigued since I started chemo in Feb 2014, which has continued since I stopped Taxatere and Carboplatin (July 14) and since I stopped Herceptin (Feb 15)

As I woke up this morning I was remembering being told leukemia was a rare side effect of something I was on, either one of those chemo drugs or the Neulasta I was given for neutropenia. I also wondered about low Vitamin K. Should I be worried? should I ask for tests? if so, what tests?
Thanks lovely people for your help and advice.
Jessica

Laurel 10-15-2015 04:42 PM

Re: Small underskin bleed: could it be leukemia?

Jessica,

Obviously, I am not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV, LOL, but I do think that if you are feeling fatigued and run down visiting your GP or taking it up with your Onc is a reasonable idea. Perhaps you are anemic. Some supplements that we take can act to thin our blood or make our platelets slippery (see I surely am NOT a doctor!) such as Fish Oil or even Vit C in high doses. My bet is you do not have leukemia, but there is no reason not to address the fatigue issue with a professional. Hope you are feeling perkier soon!

donocco 10-15-2015 06:07 PM

Jessica
You should talk to your doctor as was suggested. As far as the bruise, it it were do to Leukemia I imagine it would be just one spot on your butt more more generalized on the body. Its the chemos that can cause Leukemia. I think the incidence with Adriamycin is somewhat less than 1%. Neulasta doent cause Leukemia. There is some concern aboutr the growth facors stimulating tumour growth but not that much is known and these growth factors are given when chemo is given

Paul

JessicaV 10-15-2015 07:54 PM

Thanks people: I am off to the GPthis afternoon, not worried but just being careful.
Jessica

MaineRottweilers 10-16-2015 03:17 AM

You cannot be too careful. Hope your visit goes well.

JessicaV 10-16-2015 04:15 AM

Hi, my GP sent me for liver function test and said she does not think I have leukemia. She is doing the CA15.3 test also at my request.
thanks all for your encouragement and support
Jessica

Lucy 10-17-2015 07:42 AM

I hope everything is okay. Did she indicate why she was doing a liver function test? What is the CA15.3 test? Also, what stage were you at diagnosis Jessica? I don't see that in your signature. (sorry for all the questions)