HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Feeling Healed--At last! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61274)

kvogler 06-11-2014 07:54 PM

Feeling Healed--At last!

Well, it will be a year in August since my treatments ended and I'm starting to feel like I'm living again. This first year of post-treatment has been rough. I made the decision to leave my nonsupportive husband with my 2 year-old daughter to an apartment of our own. I've been on here in the past lamenting my diagnosis to some of you, but you know, a big part of my depression was more from the lack of love in my marriage. It was bad. I could gripe for hours about all the jerky things he did but I'll spare you. But I will share one thing he said that proved to me that he just "doesn't get it." When I told him I'd had enough of his antics and I was moving out, he looked at me and said "the cancer won." What a load of crap. Had the cancer won, I would have stayed in that miserable marriage thinking I didn't have a choice and should settle. By me going out on my own with the help of my friends, I'm showing that I have hope and that I'm going to make the most of what time I have left no matter what anyone thinks. Now, I'm getting out and doing more than ever before because I don't feel like I have to justify myself to him anymore or avoid things that would make him scornful. I'm going out for walks with my daughter, taking her to the local gym to learn to swim, doing things that I enjoy. My life is better now. His not so much since he doesn't have my salary now to live off of. Cancer won--yeah, right. He can keep telling himself that. Jerk.

Jackie07 06-11-2014 11:10 PM

Re: Feeling Healed--At last!

Wow! What a story!

So glad you're finally feeling healed and your life is better now.

Sending you good vibes.

Carol Ann 06-12-2014 06:30 AM

Good for you!!

Carol Ann

snolan 06-12-2014 07:40 AM

Thats a step in the right direction. Enjoy your new life with your daughter, be free of lifes stresses.

'lizbeth 06-12-2014 08:27 AM

Wow, that is a huge step. I am happy that you are living life.

Wishing you and your daughter all the little things that make you laugh and giggle and help you to feel life to the fullest. Smell the flowers, eat the ice cream, jump in the pool!

Lnmum 06-12-2014 10:44 AM

You are getting well. Be mindful of the stress your ex may cause in your new life. If you can forgive him, it releases any emotional hold he has over you. Maybe he was right cancer won. Cancer won your life back!!!
I've been there and understand where you're coming from. God bless you on your new journey of a healthy, loving life.
Loren

StephN 06-12-2014 01:05 PM

Hi -
Yours is not the first story here of marriages splitting up once a cancer diagnosis is made. And there are a number of single women here who have toughed out the whole routine from diagnosis through the last dose of Herceptin with friends and maybe family support.

Thanks for your bravery to put your experience "out there" for others who may be on the fence with their situation to see.

Got forward and enjoy every moment with your little daughter! Breathe and smile together.

kvogler 06-13-2014 06:20 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes! This is a great support group!

Pat94 06-14-2014 07:21 AM

I am so proud of you. Cancer and the fight to live through it is tough on those with loving support systems. I can't imagine how difficult it is for those who are surrounded by people who undermine and hurt you. The tremendous example of strength and love that you have shown your daughter will be a part of her strength throughout her life. Congratulations. May God bless you and keep you safe.

caya 06-14-2014 09:45 PM

Good for you - Go get 'em girl - No one should have to stay with a jerk of a husband - especially a cancer patient/survivor who needs positivity, not negativity, at every turn.

all the best
caya

tricia keegan 06-15-2014 02:06 PM

So happy for you, what a strong lady you are and you and your daughter will have a wonderful life because of your strength!!! xx

MaineRottweilers 06-15-2014 06:31 PM

Sometimes it takes an earth rattling shake up to make you realize you aren't really living your life. Welcome to the rest and the best days of your life!