HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   6 Years This Week (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50478)

Mary Jo 06-20-2011 02:03 PM

6 Years This Week

Dear "Sisters" ~

6 years ago this week (June 24, 2005 - Friday afternoon @ 3:00 p.m.) my ob/gyn called to tell me I had breast cancer. I will never forget that day as long as I live. I was home alone when I received the call and remember how it felt as if my world had been changed forever. I remember feeling as if I'd never laugh or smile again.

After I hung up the phone I sat down on the bed in our spare bedroom. I remember praying and saying to God that if I ever needed Him, it was now. I also asked Him to use whatever it was I would go through for His glory. I remember praying the verse from Romans (8:28 to be exact) often. That verse says "for we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him.". I was sure at that time I was going to die.

Here I am 6 years later.......bilateral mastectomies, 8 cycles of bi-weekly chemo, 1 year of every 3rd week herceptin, 25 radiation treatments AND at my 3 year cancerversary had bilateral DIEP. I am healthy and happier than ever. Yes, my life has been forever changed and yes, God did work it all for good. Not just because I survived (because eventually something will take my life) but because I have learned the truly important things in life. Loving......serving and praising Him. Nothing else matters.

May His Peace be with each of you.

Mary Jo

krisvell 06-20-2011 02:29 PM

Re: 6 Years This Week

MaryJo;
I am so happy for you. You have reason to celebrate and whop it up big! Enjoy,
Hugs,
Kris....

KDR 06-20-2011 03:05 PM

MaryJo,
A happy milestone! Yippee!
Karen

suzan w 06-20-2011 05:41 PM

Great news, Mary Jo, I well remember when you forst came to this board...same time as I did!!! I remember because I love your name!!! My Godmother was named Mary Josephine and we always called her Mary Jo!! 6 years, can you believe it??? I have had so many blessings in my life over the past 6 years it is overwhelming!! I am filled with hope and gratitude. Keep it up and so will I!!! XOX Suzan W

Elizabethtx 06-20-2011 05:54 PM

Another happy story! Keep it up stay positive and thank you for all the joy and hope you bring the rest of us!

snolan 06-20-2011 06:42 PM

Your post is very inspirational. I just pasted my 1st cancerversary and look forward to being able to post many more. Congrats.

caya 06-20-2011 08:13 PM

Congrats to you too Mary Jo on the big # 6
Wishing for many more cancerversaries for you:)

all the best
caya

Jackie07 06-20-2011 08:25 PM

Congratulations! [So we are 'counting' from the diagnosis day! Actually, the day we are informed of the cancer diagnosis. :)]

BonnieR 06-20-2011 08:33 PM

What a wonderful cause for celebration!

chrisy 06-20-2011 09:17 PM

BeAutiflu news. And beautiful perspective

Jean 06-20-2011 09:28 PM

Mary Jo,
Welcome to the 6th year club!
I think most of us felt the same way when we heard the dr. say ..."your biopsey came back positive for breast cancer." Those words are dreaded by every woman.

Hopefully with all the media and press women are more aware to have regular mamograms, be aware of what their breasts should feel like and not ignore any changes.

We have come a long way....
Hugs,
Jean

Becky 06-21-2011 04:10 AM

Dear Mary Jo

Congratulations on 6 years of survivorship! I feel like I know you so well and remember when you first came on the board. I agree with everything you said - life is good.

Go celebrate and enjoy your family.

Sheila 06-21-2011 04:29 AM

Beautifully said Mary Jo......congratulations of the 6 year mark....we certainly know know that not only each year, but each day is a milestone!

tricia keegan 06-21-2011 03:35 PM

Hi Maryjo,

Delighted to share your good news and also to know you, Suzan and I are so closely linked with our dx, it'll be six years for me July 4th and did'nt think I'd make it!!!

Huge congratulations on your very special day !!!!:) xx

sassy 06-21-2011 09:29 PM

Big congrats Mary Jo! We came here about the same time--I have always appreciated your positive and uplifting attitude. Many more years to celebrate!

Ceesun 06-23-2011 08:45 AM

Beautiful and a big congrats to you! Ceesun

DonnaD 06-23-2011 07:00 PM

We celebrate with you Mary Jo! So happy for you.

I think we all remember the time and place when we rec'd the news that changed our lives forever.

Your "sister"
DonnaD

Marlys 06-23-2011 07:45 PM

Dearest Mary Jo,
Us 6 year olds ain't so stupid, are we? Look how well we have survived. And I must give lots of credit to you and your cheerful caring. I love what you have to say and you always seem so upbeat. I, too, believe God has his hand on us and leads us through the righ spots. Here's to the next 6 years!!!!(or more!!!)
Love & hugs,
Marlys

janieR 06-27-2011 11:54 AM

Mary Jo,

I am so very happy for you.

Janie

Sandra in GA 06-27-2011 02:40 PM

Mary Jo,
What a beautifully written post! I am so happy for you and all the others reaching the six year mark this year! Keep up the good works!
Hugs,
Sandra