HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Profiles In Courage (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Headed to year 9 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47235)

KymAustralia 10-16-2010 04:00 PM

Headed to year 9

Hi everyone,

Popping in to say hi and to update you all. I just had my umpteenth mamo and yearly oncologist check and am still 'dancing with ned' so I wanted to post and say hello to everyone at the same time.

Life has been very busy - I am completing a Masters in Adult Learning and my unit this time is about social organisations - born out of need and driven by those who need them that serve to educate their members about something that afflicts or oppresses them. My thoughts turned to this forum and the hope and nurturing it gave to me in a time of intense need and to the thousands of others before and after me who have also benefitted.

I was dx'd in November 02 with Her2+++ and Er+ breast cancer at the age of 44 and was fortunate enough to be selected for the BCIRG006 trial and was randomised into the AC-TAX- Herceptin arm.

I underwent a lumpectomy in Dec '02 and began chemo and herceptin treatment in Jan '03. I also underwent rads. Unfortunately I was one of the few who comes out of chemopause and because of my er+ status I underwent a radical oophorectomy in '04.

I am still NED and doing very well :)

Hugs to all my brave sisters

Kym

KitCat 10-16-2010 04:49 PM

Re: Headed to year 9

Congratulations to you Kim!! What a great inspirational story you have! All the best to you and heres to many, many years NED!!!

Cathy xo

chrislmelb 10-18-2010 01:08 AM

Well done Kym, you were very lucky to get the Herceptin. I was randomised to the observation arm of the HERA trial in 2004. My arm was lucky enough to be offered Heceptin in 2005 when the brilliant results came out. I then had it for 2 years.
Great to hear your success story.
Christine

DanaRT 10-28-2010 05:50 PM

Kym, Thanks for sharing your inspiring story.

karen z 10-28-2010 06:59 PM

Congratulations and thanks for posting.
Best,
Karen

Laurel 10-28-2010 07:15 PM

Excellent! Thanks, Kym for the inspiring post! Wishing you another 9!

Mary L 11-10-2010 01:41 PM

Hi Kim. You are are my hero. I just celebrated my 8h year of survival of IBC. Don't you just love Herceptin! It sure saved my life. I just wanted to say job well done and best wishes for a healthy and happy future. Mary L

KymAustralia 11-11-2010 12:13 AM

Well done - you are awesome Mary! Keep up the fight - I am so thrilled for you!!!! The hero's though are some like Christine and others who were so inspirational and pioneered herceptin for us - and despite all that they were dealing with were here to guide us and cheer us along on our journey. Some lost the war - but they will never be forgotten - nor will Joe for all his hard work to help us at such a terrible point in our lives!

KymAustralia 11-11-2010 12:15 AM

Congratulations Chris!!! Where in Melbourne are you? I am in Beaumaris.

chrislmelb 11-16-2010 01:16 AM

I'm over just near Essendon. My sister is over there in Brighton.

Gabrielle 11-29-2010 08:43 PM

Congratulations! I'm finishing up my 11th year. Still NED.

-Gabriellehttp://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

emorg 09-25-2011 05:26 PM

Hi there, This is my first visit to this site. I live in Caulfield Melbourne and will be having treatment at the Alfred Hospital. I had a mastectomy two weeks ago and path. results showed HER2 positive (I don't know which grade positive as I was too stunned to ask too many questions.) Just wanted to say that I'm greedy to see someone as young and beautiful as you with such a great story to share. At this stage I haven't seen an onc. yet and have no idea of what is going to happen next. Just to let you know, thank you for taking the time in your busy life to share your joy.

Trish 09-26-2011 04:03 AM

Great news Kim. Look forward to next years NED post.
Trish

Joanna J 09-26-2011 07:04 AM

SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU,THIS IS WONDERFUL....ENJOY...CELEBRATE
EAT SOME CHOCOLATE,THIS GIVES
SO MUCH HOPE TO OTHERS ON HERE
(YOU GO GIRL) Joanna J

KymAustralia 10-04-2011 08:36 PM

Hi Joanna,

Thank you so much and all the very best to you as you progress on your journey as well.

I see you have a similar diagnosis - and you are doing well.

Stay well and keep smiling :)

Hugs

Kym

Pray 10-06-2011 05:17 AM

Hi Kim,

I want to be just like You!!!!

Gods blessings to you and your family. God is good all of the time!

Your Friend,

Nancy

sandra digilio 12-06-2011 08:07 AM

Hi I'm new to this site as well and have been through treatments the last couple of years. I'm a survivor and will fight for my life but I wanted to offer some chat if you needed someone to talk to. My advise is make sure you LOVE your oncologist and if you do not love her/him change and get one you do love. It makes all the difference in the world. Are you in Maine?

ElaineM 12-06-2011 09:19 AM

I am so glad you are doing well. Good luck on your
Masters in Adult Learning. I taught adults for many years. It can be very rewarding to see adults become successful in their studies and improve their lives through education.