HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   remove from Xeloda ... sad (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50166)

hezzy 05-26-2011 08:47 AM

remove from Xeloda ... sad

About six months ago Xeloda was added to my Tykerb,Herceptin, Zometa, and Faslodex. I found balance quickly and was thrilled however, shortly afterwords I was removed from Xeloda due to it being my second DX w/blood clots. I was told since it was my second DX w/blood clots that I no longer take Xeloda. Im terrified and dont understand. Are there other meds that treat brain mets? Im terrified just being back on (listed above) what scares me thinking am I not recieving enough meds. ANY advice?

hezzy 05-26-2011 08:50 AM

Re: remove from Xeloda ... sad

Im not able yet to update profile.
been fighting brain mets since Aug 09, taking listed meds above also, 17 days rads, 3 days cyber knife (09).

Shobha 05-27-2011 08:19 AM

Hi Hezzy,

There are lot of brave ladies here who have successfully fought Brain mets...why don't you post this in the Her2group discussions...I am sure you will hear about a lot of good options...

Adding my prayers and good wishes for you.

Jackie07 05-27-2011 10:13 PM

Hezzy,

From what I understand, Tykerb is the drug for brain mets (because of its small size enables it to cross the blood-brain barrier). Some newly approved chemo agents are listed in the abstract below:

Semin Oncol. 2011 Jun;38 Suppl 2:S3-10.
Approved agents for metastatic breast cancer.

Fornier MN.
Source

Breast Cancer Medicine Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY 10021, USA. fornierm@mskcc.org

Abstract

The US Food and Drug Administration has approved three agents for treatment of patients with metastatic breast cancer refractory to anthracyclines and taxanes: capecitabine, ixabepilone, and eribulin mesylate. There is no fixed algorithm of therapeutic choices.

xxxxxx

Capecitabine is Xeloda which converts to 5-Fu in the tumor.
Ixabepilone is Ixempra - also used in combination with Xeloda
Perhaps you can try eribulin mesylate (= Halavan)?

KDR 06-01-2011 04:47 PM

Thanks for posting this, Jackie. I am not surprised to see Dr. Fornier's name as the source. I've consulted with her and would recommend her highly.
Best
Karen

hezzy 07-13-2011 11:25 AM

Due to one of the brain mets growing. I am back on Xeloda, w/Tykerb. Im so praying it makes a difference.

schoolteacher 07-15-2011 07:23 AM

Glad to hear from you, Hezzy. Let us know how you are doing.

Amelia