HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   treatment update (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47488)

Pam P 11-05-2010 07:53 AM

treatment update

Pretty good outcome at oncologist appointment yesterday. My tumor marker was still around 2700 - high but still stable after not having chemo since mid-August (except for herceptin). Now I'm restarting tykerb too. Crossing fingers that it will keep me stable for a long time. My hemoglobin was really low 8.5 so I'm starting to take an iron pill each day.

Re: the other disease - dermatomyositis - symptoms are much improved, but still a little swelling and muscle weakness. I think I'm feeling well enough now to go to the YMCA and try to strengthen muscles. I'm down to 30 mg of prednisone now and not feeling so manic. The goal is to be down to 10 in 2 weeks and maintain there if the symptoms don't worsen until I see the rheumatologist again in a month.

I'm so relieved to be feeling better, have some answers, and hopefully coast a little now for awhile. THANK YOU for all of your help and support for me through all of this. You are the BEST!

PinkGirl 11-05-2010 08:21 AM

Re: treatment update

Thanks for the info Pam. I'm glad some of the other issues
are being resolved. Good luck with the new chemo ... it's nice
to have a plan that you feel good about.

Emelie B 11-05-2010 10:13 AM

Pam,
I am so glad to hear that some of your issues are resolving and you are feeling better.
Hang in there,
Emelie

Jackie07 11-05-2010 10:23 AM

Thanks for the update, Pam. Glad you are feeling better.

schoolteacher 11-05-2010 12:48 PM

Thanks for letting us know how things are going. I think of you often.

Amelia

Patb 11-05-2010 12:53 PM

Good news, good to hear. Take care and keep
getting good news.
patb

Ceesun 11-05-2010 01:53 PM

Pam, Continued good wishes. Ceesun

caya 11-05-2010 02:03 PM

Glad to hear you are doing well Pam.

all the best
caya

Becky 11-05-2010 02:25 PM

Keep on truckin' babe.

Some foods that have high iron include dried fruits especially apricots and green leafy vegetables (especially spinach, chard, collards etc). Any green veggie too. DON'T eat these things with foods that are high in calcium as iron and calcium compete in the body for absorption so if you are having dairy, wait 2 hours for the iron but if you are eating iron, wait 6 hrs before eating dairy! Also, if you consume either, if you eat it with some acid, it absorbs better so sprinkle lemon juice or vinegar on your greens or have orange juice as your beverage. Sometimes the natural iron way will make you less constipated as iron constipates.

My loving thoughts are with you.

ammebarb 11-05-2010 06:32 PM

I'm so glad you are beginning to feel better Pam. Hope the Tykerb does it's darndest and you get your hemoglobin up.

Barb A.

Laurel 11-05-2010 06:32 PM

Yea! I am so happy to hear your good fortune! You were due for some good news, Pam. Hoping you "coast" alone on this new combo until the cure arrives!

ElaineM 11-05-2010 08:48 PM

I am very happy to hear you are doing better. Good luck with Tykerb. I hope it does the trick without damaging your hemoglobin. Take care.