HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   a beer and wine question (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34117)

DanaRT 05-28-2008 05:22 AM

a beer and wine question

What is the REAL protocal about beer and wine while in treatment (Herceptin). My nurse gives me a flat out "no beer, no wine" followed by "well, you don't look like the type that would drink a whole six pack..."

I didn't have a drink for almost 5 months during chemo but have enjoyed a few glasses of wine and a couple beers now that the weather has warmed up.
Does alcohol it hinder the effects of the Herceptin? I have not seen any data.

My nutrition expert tells me dark beer and dark red wine are healthiest.

Thanks,
Dana

hutchibk 05-28-2008 06:24 AM

My personal official protocol is and has been through all of my treatments... a beer or two or a margarita or two per month. Very sparingly, but when the mood strikes, I let myself enjoy one.

As far as research goes, I can't tell you. My doc told me that at my rate of drinking, I couldn't possibly adversely affect anything regardless what treatment I was/am on. (and with the nickname "half-beer Brenda", it's really hard for me to do any true harm, LOL)

Sheila 05-28-2008 09:09 AM

Dana
When I was on Herceptin only, I enjoyed a few beers or a glass or 2 of wine whenever...my onc. actually recommended it, especially the wine....I remember going to Key West and getting a little tipsy....OK I was as drunk as a sailor.....didn't hurt me a bit...I just knew the headache the next day was not Herceptin related!!! I even drank wine a a beer now and then while on Xeloda with the Herceptin...Listen to Brenda....yep they call her half beer brenda, but she dances on tables after a few Margaritias!!!!

ElaineM 05-28-2008 11:43 AM

beer and wine

Hi,
The chemo nurses told me the reason they do not recommend alcohol during treatment is that everything (including chemo and alcohol) goes through the liver and alcohol can put extra stress on the liver. I think if a person wants to drink during treatment he or she should limit the amount of alcohol.

BethC 05-28-2008 06:50 PM

Hi Dana,
Loved seeing your picture with your post! I still haven't figured out how to do that. Anyway, I'm drinking a glass of wine right now. I haven't heard anything about alcohol except that I don't want to add stress to my liver so I try to limit my intake to 2-3 per week. Enjoy yourself :)
Love,
Beth

Becky 05-28-2008 07:13 PM

Dear Dana

When on chemo, I didn't drink alcohol because I felt my body (especially my liver) was working hard enough. On Herceptin only, I did whatever I wanted to. Usually not on treatment day or so, sometimes I have a couple of glasses of wine on weekend days (during Herceptin and now). I am good in every other way and I really love red wines. If it reduces the effectiveness of Herceptin (and there is nothing that says it does - trust me), well... I am almost 4 years out and I am still here!!!

Enjoy your life to its fullest!

mimiflower07 05-28-2008 07:36 PM

sure glad that we are ok with the wine because i just finished my glass.
cheers suzanne

Bill 05-28-2008 07:40 PM

Dana, like the man once said, "all things in moderation", and the woman once said, "do whatever Becky, Sheila, and Hucklebuck say". My wife's docs. and nurses were not opposed to a drink now and then.

chrisy 05-28-2008 08:07 PM

Dana, a very worthy and valid question!

When I was going through chemo I asked both of my super duper doctors. My treatment was weekly T/C/H for 3 weeks, then a "week off" where I only got Herceptin

One recommended strongly against it on the chemo weeks, as I had extensive liver mets and she felt my liver was already working pretty hard with the chemo. But she said a glass or two of wine on the off weeks would be ok.

The other thought a glass of wine was ok, but only if it was good wine, and viewed it as a quality of life issue.

So I looked forward to the "week off" when I could, and did, enjoy a nice glass of wine. My hubby liked to trumpet how it was my "drink like a fish" week.

The issue was not whether it would interfere with the action of the chemo, it was rather the work of detox that the liver was already having to do.

hutchibk 05-29-2008 10:12 AM

I agree about liver mets... if I had liver mets I would not ever drink even 1 or 2 a month.

abitjaded 05-29-2008 11:39 AM

As my wine merchant says, "Life is too short to drink bad wine".

We all oughtta know, eh?

I couldn't stand the smell of alcohol during chemo. But I did indulge a bit during Herceptin. Try my method, buy something really good and expensive then sniff an inch and dilute the heck out of it and drink. Non-alcoholic wine is gross, unless you really like Gallo Red Mountain.

Beerwise, I'm with Brenda on the half glass. Half a glass and I'm 'hopsed' out. Too bitter. But try something like O'Douls non-alcoholic (actually about 1%). Not too bad.

What's this about dancing on the tables after a few Margaritas? Talk about "quality of life issues"!

Carla

DanaRT 05-29-2008 06:41 PM

Thank you all for posting. Now I don't feel so guilty having one or two social drinks on occassion. If I have two beers, I drink water in between.

I couldn't bring myself to have a drink during my five months of chemo during the winter...it simply tasted like chemicals anyway.

I am thankful to all of you - the support and wisdom really help.

Truly,
Dana

Joe 05-29-2008 08:13 PM

Just be careful not to drink 24 hours before your treatment.

There was a post here several years ago about a woman who had a drink of wine to "settle her nerves" before she set off to the oncologists. As a result one of her tumor markers were consistantly high, causing much consternation to herself and her onc.

Regards
Joe

hutchibk 05-29-2008 09:59 PM

Good advice Joe! Yes, I always steered clear of my occasional social drink for at least 5 days before a treatment.

Kim in CA 06-01-2008 10:52 AM

I never drink the day I get my Herceptin, but have alcohol 3-4 times a week. I Just try to be moderate in everything. To me it's about quality of life and I really enjoy a glass of wine in the evening or a cold beer or margarita after a long ride.

Kim

Unregistered 02-05-2012 03:08 AM

Re: a beer and wine question

I hate to post an opposing viewpoint, but I will. My oncologist gave the stats for increased risk of recurrence per serving of alcohol per week. It wasn't worth the risk to me. No alcohol is his recommendation. That has been my choice. I drink sparkling grape juice and nonalcoholic beer with orange slices now. I LOVE beer and wine, but I want to limit my risk factors where I can.

NanaJoni 02-05-2012 09:08 PM

Re: a beer and wine question

Don't every worry about posting a differing viewpoint - we all have lots of those. And you are doing what is right for you and that's what we all have to do. I've given up lots of things I used to love but I love life more and feel as you do about reducing risk.