HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Boswellia and fatigue questions (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50358)

joyce lutz 06-08-2011 05:24 PM

Boswellia and fatigue questions

I know a few of you w/brain mets use this alternative therapy to keep swelling in the brain down. I need to know how to find a doctor that is familiar w/it and will know whether or not my daughter can switch from decadron to boswellia and how to do so. Can anyone help?

Also, my daughter is experiencing extreme fatigue which I think may stem from the WBR she had a year ago. Do any of you gals do anything special that helps w/the fatigue other than nap?

Thanks much and my best to you all
Joyce

Jackie07 06-08-2011 08:23 PM

Re: Boswellia and fatigue questions

Joyce,

I can only answer the 'fatigue' question. Mine was not WBR, but the three 'shots' of Gamma-knife in 2001 did affect me for quite a while.

Because our brain cells crave for oxygene (the majority of the oxygene/blood supply goes to our brain), your daughter is probably better off spending more time in light exercises than taking naps.

Certainly naps are important and she needs to take naps whenever she feels the need. But exercise can regulate our metabolism, circadian cycle, and improve muscle tone and increase our energy level.

I learned it the hard way after my craniotomy in 1990. After returning to work full-time too soon and resuming too many activities, I lost my job and stayed home depressed and 'napped' quite a bit. By the time I was offered another job, I hardly could function. The three months I stayed home 'napping' almost destroyed my life!

Please talk to her physical therapist and occupational therapist about how to improve her strength and endurance. Please encourage her to participate in 'structured' activities - take a part-time job or volunteer 1-2 hours a day and gradually increase her hours according to her strength.

Walk 30 minutes a day...

CourtneyL 06-09-2011 11:50 AM

I second Jackie's suggestion to incorporate regular exercise, however small, to combat fatigue. Just a 10 minute walk around the block can energize me when I'm feeling lethargic.

A good person to contact about the Boswellia question is Dr. Dana Flavin, the person who wrote the case study showing Boswellia helped treat a patient's brain mets. I have her email if you'd like it. She was really prompt about getting back to me when I emailed her questions about her Boswellia protocol.

Good luck Joyce! I think about you and your daughter often and hope you are both well.

With love,
Courtney

joyce lutz 06-09-2011 05:31 PM

Courtney please send the email address to me and thanks to both of you for your reply. Courtney I too think of you often and am SO glad you are doing well. Right now Pam is just tired all of the time. So am seeking anything that will help and also want to get her off Decadron! My best to you all
Joyce