HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   5 yr or 10 yr Femara (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67821)

Donna H 03-28-2019 09:23 AM

5 yr or 10 yr Femara

Hi All-
I am nearing my 5 year NED anniversary. My MO wants to keep me on Femara for another 5 years (10 total). I really would prefer to stop taking the AI. I've done some research about the benefits of staying on for 10 years total but results seem to be mixed. So any insight/comments from this group are welcomed. I have found the advice from people on this sight to be as beneficial as that from my medical team....sometimes more beneficial. I was stage 2, no node involvement. Went thru TCH 6x plus additional 11 H and 33 radiation visits.

Thanks.

tricia keegan 03-29-2019 03:21 PM

Re: 5 yr or 10 yr Femara

Hi Donna, many congratulations on reaching five years almost!! When I was diagnosed I was told five years was the norm, by the time I completed that it became ten. When I reached eight years my Onc told me to stop it as newer studies say five years are fine..only to call me the following year and tell me to take for another two years due to the latest study results! They don't make it easy, I was surprised to not feel any better once I had stopped and perhaps it was old age rather than the side effects creeping up on me lol. I think if you really feel you need to stop then I would as who knows what results will be in next. Wish I could be more help but I was as confused as you.Good luck with your decision.

Becky 03-30-2019 12:58 AM

Donna

How hormone positive was your tumor? I think highly positive makes a difference and longer term therapy may be beneficial.

Donna H 04-01-2019 08:26 AM

Hi Becky-
I think it was 1% progesterone and estrogen receptor was really high %. Is there a test that can be done to see how much I currently have overall? I feel like all the hormones have been sucked out of me.

Becky 04-01-2019 02:33 PM

I think highly estrogen numbers in your tumor is an important indicator on staying on. I think the progesterone number is insignificant to high estrogen and you should consider staying on longer unless you are having a poor quality of life. Only you know that for sure. Secondly, even if it doesn't affect your personal recurrence rate, it does help in the prevention of a totally new bc forming.

jaykay 04-01-2019 05:49 PM

Hi Donna, congrats on the five year mark!

I was told 10 years is the “new norm” for AI’s. This is my second “stretch” with femara (almost 6 years). First time was 5 years and I developed a new primary in the other breast after being drug free for 2 years. I’ll never know if it was her2+, er positive or a combination of the two but, as others have said, if you can tolerate the quality of life issues, i’d follow your oncologist’s suggestions.

Janis

Jean 04-27-2019 04:44 PM

To All,
I just had my recent check up with my onc. I am now way over the 10year mark on Femara. During the recent check up my dr. had suggested I stop.
As Becky mentioned regarding estrogen levels when dx. my estrogen was high. I told my dr. that I would rather elect to remain on Femara. I am feeling fine and have no issues from taking the Femara.

I am now celebrating my 14 year breast cancerversary!
Sending love and all good wishes to all of my brave sisters - keep strong and positive.

Hugs,
Jean

tricia keegan 04-30-2019 02:51 PM

Huge congrats Jean!