HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Time Frame of Side Effects After First Chemo? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46880)

ginnyg898 09-27-2010 10:28 AM

Time Frame of Side Effects After First Chemo?

Hi All: I am starting my first round of TCH a week from today. My doctor says that I wont start feeling any major side effects until 3-4 days after, but wanted to hear from other that have been through it.

How soon did you feel any side effects and what were they? Many thanks..

VirginiaGirl 09-27-2010 10:59 AM

Re: Time Frame of Side Effects After First Chemo?

Hi Ginny,
It's hard to tell what causes what side effects since it's a ton of meds all at once and everyone really does respond differently. It looks like from your signature that this is your first go around with chemo. I'm doing TCH also, with herceptin every 3rd week instead of the standard herceptin weekly. This was my choice so I didn't have to come in to the office every week. Anyway, I start experiencing side effects on day 2, and I think it has a lot to do with the neulasta (white blood cell booster shot) shot the day after chemo and all the steroids. The first time I had the neulasta shots, I had a lot of bone aches/pains and chills (flu like symptoms). This time, it's more nauseau and fatique. Plus hot flashes, which I thought I was done with. As I've progressed through treatment without any allergic reactions, my onc has allowed me to cut back on the steroids (I hate steroids - bloating/weight gain and high blood sugar). The last time I cut them back even more than he'd said to, and coincidentally the nauseau was much more manageable this time. It takes a full week for the side effects to completely go away and then I get to feel normal for two weeks til the next time. I started losing my hair 2 1/2 weeks after the first treatment, then it really started falling out quickly after the 2nd treatment, so I went ahead and shaved it off/down. This is the third time I've lost my hair, the first time I let it fall out mostly on its own. This time I shaved it down right away once it started to fall out quickly. IMO, this is really the way to go. I've had herceptin many times, it's very tolerable, but I do remember when I first started taking it that I had some nosebleeds and headaches. And I swear herceptin makes my stomach seem puffier, but I can't confirm this. TCH is definitely not the easiest regimen I've done, but it seems to be working so far. Time will tell. Best of luck with it!

tricia keegan 09-27-2010 02:53 PM

Ginny,

I had a/c x 4 followed by taxol/herceptin x 12, the a/c was the toughest and I found an hour after I had it, I had severe sinus issues with a blocked nose and mouth.

However, the actual fatigue and queasy feeling was about three days later but did'nt actually get sick but felt like I wanted to.
We're all different in how we respond and I hope you'll be like many others who breeze through it:)

Laurel 09-27-2010 06:28 PM

Ditto for me, Ginny, as like Tricia I had ACTH. That stuff pretty much hits you instantly, the AC I mean. When I had the taxol it was usually about 36-48 hours after the infusion that the nerve pain began. Take the pain meds around 36 hours and just stick with them for a few days. I had Aloxi, so I never had any nausea.

Good luck, Ginny. Chemo is a bit like child birth. When you wonder if you will be strong enough to endure it, you look around at all the people in the world and figure if all their moms got through it you will too. Chemo is the same. Look at all the folks who have had chemo and have survived the experience!